IGNORED

Biggest Atari 2600 Letdowns

Mind Master

-Killer Satellites (Starpath).  Maybe with the Supercharger the 2600 can handle Defender!  Turns out this one's less fun than Atari's Defender above.  Was this ever playtested?  Why are there triangles everywhere?

At least they made (well, by "they", I mean Atari) a huge improvement with Stargate (aka Defender II), though.

-Defender.  A close second to Pac Man in terms of disappointment.  A graphics disaster and not much in the way of sound, either.  Ship vanishes when you fire - not good.  More fun than Pac Man, but still a major letdown.

-Killer Satellites (Starpath).  Maybe with the Supercharger the 2600 can handle Defender!  Turns out this one's less fun than Atari's Defender above.  

Have you ever tried Stargate/Defender 2? It's a really solid conversion. Most of the games my mom gave me sucked. Fishing Derby. Word Zapper. Congo Bongo. What was she thinking??? Usually I gave her a list of what I wanted, but she picked these up at random.

Games that I bought but ended up hating were: Swordquest.

Of course, Freeway actually came out BEFORE the ARCADE Frogger...

Is that true? They both have a 1981 copyright date, so I always thought Freeway was an Activision clone of Frogger.

According to an interview with David Crane, they were both developed at the same time, independent of each other.

Actually there WAS a reasoning to the EW puzzles.  Follow the comic and see.

Really? Enough to figure out those really big complex combinations of items towards the end?

Yeah, Tempest, 'fess up!

Or write an article for the 2600 Connection! :-) ...it'll appear in a couple of months, I promise! :-}

River Raid 2 for me. River Raid is probably my favorite 2600 title so it was with great excitement I plugged it into my 2600 for the first time. About 5 minutes later I turned it off really annoyed.

I know it's not a bad game in it's own right but it just doesn't have the smooth and simple gameplay that made River Raid so much fun. RR2 is fiddly and annoying (getting off the ship without blowing up, etc) where River Raid has an excellent feel to it.

If it was called something else I probably wouldn't mind it but as a the sequel to my favorite 2600 game it was a big disapointment.

I think I may have mentioned this in a similar post some time ago, but my biggest letdown was Swordquest Earthworld. I bought it thinking it was going to be an awesome sequel to adventure, and i was utterly disappointed. I actually was able to return it to Toys'r'us and exchange it for Keystone Kapers, which is one of my all time favorites. I think it was easier to return opened games back then!

AM

The 2600-to-computer adapter. It was a keyboard that laid on top of the 2600, boosted the available RAM, and allowed you to do programming. When I saw it the pic in Atari Age magazine, I begged and begged my mom to buy it for me. Of course, it never happened.

I'm glad my mom didn't listen to me and saved her money, because later I got a Commodore=128 which was absolutely the best 8-bit computer ever made!

The 2600-to-computer adapter.  It was a keyboard that laid on top of the 2600, boosted the available RAM, and allowed you to do programming.  When I saw it the pic in Atari Age magazine, I begged and begged my mom to buy it for me.  Of course, it never happened.

I'm glad my mom didn't listen to me and saved her money, because later I got a Commodore=128 which was absolutely the best 8-bit computer ever made!

Hear Hear!

I just finished a four month reno and am getting things hooked back up. Just yesterday I lovingly removed my C128 out of it's original box (and my brother nags me constantly "why the hell do you keep all these boxes?" He'll never understand, but I know others will!) and hooked it up again....ahhh, now thats better isn't it! Who's up for a game of Space Taxi?

That keyboard is the silkiest of all 8-bit keyboards. I'd gladly donate a kidney if the keypad worked in C64 mode though...

as Always,

Markimus of K.

Since this thread is back from the dead, I'll add my opinions. I don't think I've ever been letdown by any videogame console including the 2600. Sure individual games may have sucked and not been worth the money but in the long term I've always had enough good things from each console and computer I've ever had.

I was fortunate enough to have parents who got me a 2600 then an Atari 800, and from there I've had a lot of consoles and computers starting with the NES. So I was never tied into any one system for more than 2 or 3 years and there were enough games in that span to add value to me and keep me from depending on any one game to make it all worth it.

Heck, I've only really played 2 games on my Playstation in the last four years, Gran Turismo 2 and Dance Dance Revolution and I'm very happy with the console because those are two of the best games ever for me.

I'd gladly donate a kidney if the keypad worked in C64 mode though...

It doesn't work because the C64 mode uses the C64's KERNAL and BASIC roms which don't know about the C128's VIC II chip extra two registers the C64's VIC II didn't have. But it _can_ be done through a small program :)

The one new register ($D02F bits 0-2) handles all the extra (new) keys including the keypad. So it's a matter of writing a small program to tell the normal keyboard scan routine (ie have the scan routine JSR to your code first, check for keys, then JSR back to the scan routine or something like that :ponder: Whew, it's been awhile...) to get the keypad and the other keys (on the top row) to be useable in C64 mode. I have a program somewhere that will do so. PM me if you want me to find it.

Er, now we're off topic... um,...:

I definitely agree! (Say, theaveng, havn't I seen you somewhere before?

:P :D )

Garak

I definitely agree! (Say, theaveng, havn't I seen you somewhere before?

Maybe it was Deep Space Nine. Or a Cardassian torture chamber? I can't wait to get the new DS9 DVDs. Ill sit down and watch the entire 7-year- series in one huge marathon! :D

Paul Slocum wrote:  

Tempest wrote:  

Actually there WAS a reasoning to the EW puzzles. Follow the comic and see.  

Really? Enough to figure out those really big complex combinations of items towards the end?  

Yeah, Tempest, 'fess up!  

Or write an article for the 2600 Connection!  ...it'll appear in a couple of months, I promise! :-}  

I'll have to look back at it again, but for at least the first couple of puzzles there was a definite correlation to the comic.

What I really want to know is how those numeric clues in Fireworld were suppoed to be used.

Tempest

I think that if you look at the question as "Which 2600 game disappointed the most people", not just you personally, Pac Man proudly wins the title.

I believe that the release of Atari 2600 Pac Man may have been the psychological catalyst which caused the majority people to become sick of video games, thus cuasing the industry crash. Sad, just sad.

On another note, does anyone know how easy or difficult it might be to swap-in elements(perhaps the bat) from Adventure in an Altered version of SQ:EarthWorld?

I agree with Defender. The second one Stargate was much better. But why did they release the first piece of junk in the first place?

I was also disappointed by RealSports Baseball. The Volleyball, Tennis and Football games were really good but the rediculous speed of runners on stolen bases is a complete joke. And the fact that you could pick a pitch that couldn't be hit (wasn't there like an intentional ball?) that looked the same as everything else was messed up too.

Maybe it was Deep Space Nine. Or a Cardassian torture chamber?

I will not confirm nor deny that I was a member of the Obsidian Order :D

I can't wait to get the new DS9 DVDs.  Ill sit down and watch the entire 7-year- series in one huge marathon!   :D

Ah, yes, have to look into that myself (as well as the TOS series) :)

Garak

I know I'm going to get alot of flames over this one, but I was really disappoionted with Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back (the game, not the movie). I was expecting more than "Shoot the AT-AT". It was cute for a bit, but it was SO repeative (shoot this AT-AT, now shoot this AT-AT, look out it's another AT-AT...) :sleep:

I was also kind of disappointed with ROTLA when it came out. I was expecting an action game and what I got was a very difficult pseudo-adventure game with strange graphics. Don't get me wrong, I like ROTLA now, but back then I was really disappointed.

Tempest