IGNORED

Sega Dreamcast console - $15.99 shipped o.b.o.

dafivehole

I bought this from the Golden Axe about a year ago. It is supposed to play the burned (copied) discs but I never got to test it for that. I used it this past weekend and it turns off after about 15 minutes... I wait about 30 seconds and it turns on again... after another 15 minutes, it turns off again... power supply (internal) issue? I don't know so I'll sell it for $15.99 (or best offer) shipped anywhere in the US. Cosmetically clean and comes with video cable and power cord. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Roger

post-25120-0-42782600-1346769874_thumb.jpg

Edited by dafivehole

Just an FYI, but all Dreamcasts play burned games. Of any date. Of any model. It makes no difference. And yeah, sounds like a power issue.

Only the first rev. of Dreamcasts will play them without a boot disk, however. I think this is what he is referring to.

Yeah, rev 2s past October 2000 don't play burned games. But 95% of the DCs you find out there are Rev1s, so that's not an issue.

Only the first rev. of Dreamcasts will play them without a boot disk, however. I think this is what he is referring to.

Not true, I have 3 revisions of Dreamcasts, they all play backups fine, boot disc were required early on for the backups before they made them self bootable, did not matter what version of Dreamcast you used, the backup was either self bootable or required a boot disc. To clarify, if I have a game that requires the boot disc I require it on each of my Dreamcasts, if a game self boots, it also boots on all of my Dreamcasts. Many of the original games that needed the boot disc were later re-worked to also be self bootable.

Yeah, rev 2s past October 2000 don't play burned games. But 95% of the DCs you find out there are Rev1s, so that's not an issue.

Odd, my November 2000 unit plays backups fine?

Nov 2000 rev2

March 2000 rev1

May 1999 rev0

all play my backups fine.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

Odd, my November 2000 unit plays backups fine?

Nov 2000 rev2

March 2000 rev1

May 1999 rev0

all play my backups fine.

100% the truth Ruth. early on in the DC hacking days they made game backups that required a boot disc, but then they figured out how to do it without... can you imagine the look on the faces of those executives at Sega who insisted they go with the GD-ROM based system instead of a regular CD or DVD like Sony did? A lot of people say pirating killed the DC but I think it was the fact that they did not use a DVD optical drive. PS2 was purchased by a lot of people to play movies and games because DVD players were so expensive. hell I bought my PS3 for the same reason, because blueray players were so expensive at the time.

the PS2 had just as much pirating if not more and it is considered to be one of the most successful consoles of all time. don't let anyone tell you pirating killed anything, its pure bullshit

• Like 1

Every system is pirated. Look at the Wii. Xbox. Dreamcast. PS. I could go on...

The DC died because after the failure in management, the uncertainty from fans after short lived Genesis add-ons, the botched Saturn launch that angered retailers, customers and developers, a statement from Sega of America that the Saturn was not the future of Sega which not only hurt US sales but made developers nervous about Sega in Japan (despite the Saturn doing much better there)......by the time the Dreamcast came around, I honestly don't think even DVD functionality could have saved it. With the added pressure of the PS2 on the horizon, it was just too much. It was nice to see Sega of America, Sega of Europe, and Sega of Japan working together for once during the DC days, but it was just too little too late. All three branches took such different approaches to the Saturn that it hurt Sega's image way too much.

And yes, you guys are correct. With self boot DCs, all DCs are able to play back ups. Just forget my second statement in my previous post :).

Edited by DaytonaUSA
  • Like 1

we'll never know unless time machines are invented but you're right, it was an uphill battle but the DC was and is a sweet ass console. I think they could have managed if they had used a DVD drive because the cost on production would have been that much less and it would have made all those commercials for the PS2 with its DVD compatibility a moot point. there were a lot of people getting into the Dreamcast that had never heard of the Saturn or the 32X ... Sega had the sports game market tied up for a good year there in the beginning, no other games looked or played as good. man it seems like yesterday but it was a long time ago, especially in console years... they're like dog years lol :)

• Like 2

The later model disc drives added more protection against piracy by refusing to boot from MIL-CD discs (audio/data). Pirates worked around that restriction by burning games as data/data.

All working Dreamcasts can read CD-Rs but some CD images use the older format, so you need to convert them or find a data/data image or just get an older DC.

Edited by Sektor

Not true, I have 3 revisions of Dreamcasts, they all play backups fine, boot disc were required early on for the backups before they made them self bootable, did not matter what version of Dreamcast you used, the backup was either self bootable or required a boot disc. To clarify, if I have a game that requires the boot disc I require it on each of my Dreamcasts, if a game self boots, it also boots on all of my Dreamcasts. Many of the original games that needed the boot disc were later re-worked to also be self bootable.

You are correct about the self-bootable ISO`s; However, that is TECHNICALLY exactly the same thing as using a boot disk. So, my point still stands :P

I would say a non working DC console only is a tough sell. Especially when a complete working system with 2 controllers would sell for about $40. I know it is a bummer and that you want to make money, but your probably best off dropping it in the trash can, or offering it for free if buyer pays actual shipping.

If it resets I would just open it up and clean the pins on the power supply. Maybe bend them into the connection alittle bit. Thats all it took for my black Sega Sports model DC and I haven't had a problem since. If its just powering off, its probably a cap, but I'd still keep it for parts.

nice tip, hope it helps the OP.