IGNORED

Are Dr Chatterbot, When Empires Collide, Colossal Cave Adventure canceled?

Rev

Will Colossal Cave require some rare component like a keyboard? Will we need to duct tape two controllers together to make a keypad? Will it use a joystick friendly interface like Kings Quest for the Sega Master System?

Yes, it is specifically an ECS game.

I can tell you right now it will not require the exceptionally rare Keyboard Component. The current version works with the ECS. I have some plans for making it accessible to all Intellivision owners, though, that I'll discuss once I have everything working. Don't worry, I think most folks will like what I have in mind. :-)

Heh, should we practice our texting? :)

• 4 months later...

DZ, are you porting a Z-Machine emulator to Intellivision for Colossal Cave? If so, would there be a possibility of a port of Zork I, since it it is available freely now?

I ported one of the original Adventure engines to the Intellivision, not the Infocom Z-Machine. Most of the work remaining is just polish and UI work. The actual Colossal Cave runs just fine currently.

And what do you mean that Zork I is freely available now? The original copyright likely won't expire in our lifetimes. Did Infocom make a source release under a free or open license?

The Colossal Cave does not use the Infocom's Z-Machine, it uses its very own virtual machine. I guess in theory the Z-Machine could be ported to the CP-1610.

By the way, Joe is the one who ported the adventure VM to the Intellivision, not I. I'm just supplying the P-Machinery game engine wrapper so that we could add graphics and music easily and turn it into an "Intellivision" version, rather than a direct port.

-dZ.

P.S. Is it really Zork I that is freely available? I thought it was the version created at MIT prior to Infocom's formation, which means it's lacking the polish and depth of the published game.

I ported one of the original Adventure engines to the Intellivision, not the Infocom Z-Machine. Most of the work remaining is just polish and UI work. The actual Colossal Cave runs just fine currently.

And what do you mean that Zork I is freely available now? The original copyright likely won't expire in our lifetimes. Did Infocom make a source release under a free or open license?

That's what I thought. The freely available version is the first run they did while at MIT, not the final published game. It still has many elements, but it's smaller and less polished (and buggy).

-dZ.

• 4 weeks later...

Holy cow, I just found this thread! I'm a big text adventure (Interactive Fiction) fan. The idea of porting the Z-machine to the INTV is interesting, but I wonder if it is possible (?). Has anyone looked seriously at what that would entail? Is there enough space on an INTV for the Z-machine and a game? I know some of Infocom's games were ported to the TI-99, so that's one estimate of how small they could get. If that's even possible, I'd be seriously interested in helping with that project. I've worked on the source for Frotz in the past.

I would be thrilled to play any text games on the INTV, at any rate.

On a different front, I'm almost part of the "35 club" for Infocom games (to extrapolate from the 125-club a bit here). I'm only 4 CIB games away at this point. I've bought all the different collections in the past (Lost Treasures 1 & 2, the themed collections, Masterpieces), but then I decided to start collecting the individual boxed versions as well so that I would have all the original feelies.

Well, Rick, stick around. I know we're a bit behind in this, but I hope to get back to it and have it finished this year.

I would love to work on IF adventure games. However, I'll probably be concentrating on old-school graphic adventures, in the style of Sierra Online games. Even with an ECS, it's gotta be a pain to type on the Intellivision. :)

Is there any benefit to releasing text adventures on cassette for the ECS vs. cart? Does the ECS provide more program memory when loading programs from cassettes vs. cart?

Though at this point, it'd probably be harder finding an old data recorder that functions in general -- much less figuring out if it would be compatible with the ESC.

Yeah, so never mind, I answered my own question. :)

Cart it is!

Is there any benefit to releasing text adventures on cassette for the ECS vs. cart? Does the ECS provide more program memory when loading programs from cassettes vs. cart?

Though at this point, it'd probably be harder finding an old data recorder that functions in general -- much less figuring out if it would be compatible with the ESC.

Yeah, so never mind, I answered my own question. :)

Cart it is!

You answered your own question. There's really no benefit to releasing it in a data cassette, and in fact, it would be a greater pain for everybody. Besides, ECS cassettes would have to be programmed in the crappy ECS BASIC, which is not only very limited, but excruciatingly slow.

That said, there is no reason to require the ECS for text adventures, except to use the keyboard. However, like I said before, I rather work on graphic adventures that could be enhanced by a keyboard, but that don't really require it, like AGS games.

-dZ.

Emphatically no.

The ECS provides a paltry 2K bytes of RAM. Even JLP only provides 16K bytes of RAM. Anything loaded from cassette needs to go into RAM. The Colossal Cave database requires around 128K bytes, and doesn't change. Far better to put it into ROM or something ROM-like, such as flash.

To fit it in the available RAM, you'd either have to shorten the textual descriptions quite a bit, require the player to load new segments from cassette, or heavily compress the database. (The 128K bytes I quoted is uncompressed.)

It's far easier just to put all that in ROM. ROM is cheap these days.

EDIT: Also, the ECS cassette is 300 baud. That's less than 30 characters per second. You read faster than that. Do the math....

Edited by intvnut