IGNORED

New IDE/Compact Flash interface for ADAM

jblenkle

I've Tried the image as is. The cart rom boots & then cycles continuously.

I've tried striping bytes off the front of the data file but have no idea if there is an unnecessary header info there or not. tried the first 202 bytes as there is a large blank 00 section leading up to this and there is a plain English word at this point "HARDDRIVE" but it's a shot in the dark and did not work. Just get a black screen once I alter the hdisk.img file.

Hex capture

Here is the info that Doug S. supplied, but I have yet to test it out in ADAMem SDL by Geoff Oltmans:

Your CF backup image can be used if you do one of the following:

1. #1: Name the CF backup file hdisk.img

2. #2: Include either –hd or -harddisk followed by the name of the CF backup file (e.g. -hd NIAD_CF_Card_RAW_Image_Backup.img)

If you try #2, I suggest you do not include spaces in the filename.

I also use a expansion rom when I use adamem by adding -exprom EXP.ROM.

I will be trying the cartridge rom from the post shortly.

and then this follow-up from Doug:

The IDE Boot Cartridge rom does not seem to function with the IDE patched adamem. It just boots to smartwriter and I am assuming that it either boots in CV emulation mode or Adam emulation mode and not both at the same time.

and finally from Doug:

Yes I am referring to the SDL Adamem although I also have a DOS version of the same Adamem with IDE patches that I had sent to Geoff to post on his page.

That probably worked for Joe as he was not booting the cart, just mounting it to read from a booted ADAM program. The glitch I am referring to is to actually boot a CV cartridge and then switch emulation back to Adam mode after the cart booted. This does not appear to be supported in Adamem at this time.

I have a boot prom in my own design of a slot 2 card and I can verify it always overrides smartwriter, but any disk/tape mounted overrides the boot prom.

Huh. :? Do you mean you fixed using the CF Image File with ADAMem SDL? BTW, Virtual ADAM as it is supplied in the install package by Steve Pitman does not contain emulation support for the IDE Interface or any IDE drive image file. However, one could replace the included version of ADAMem in Virtual ADAM with Doug S.'s updated ADAMem DOS and then use the ADAMem config file to enter in all the required settings. This is all in theory as I haven't seen Doug S.'s ADAMem DOS available for download anywhere to try things out.

Killed the IDE CF Interface? Again, a bit confused here. So you bought one of ADAMcon's IDE Interface packages? If so, I would think that your problem lies in the IDE Boot Driver data pack or disk that you are using as it would be pretty difficult to cause harm to the IDE Interface Card, IDE CF Card Adapter and even the CF Card. Even when people have corrupted their CF Cards, all the data is still in place and just a quick re-install of the first couple steps in T-DOS to make a compatible CF Card are required. If the problem lies in the IDE Boot Driver data pack or disk, you can download the IDE Boot Cart file that was made by JamesD and place on an AtariMax Multi-Cart or you can download the disk image provided earlier in this thread and make yourself a new ADAM disk with the IDE Boot Driver software... that is if you own a PC with 5 1/4" FDD as well.

No it was the latter. I bought the ide CF card interface. And yes something has been corrupted. I have reformatted & reimaged the cf card from a bu image & also the image you provided. Can't get it to wrok any more. I have the boot DDP & I also have the boot Cart image on an ATARIMAX sd card. No louck yet. Partially boots then kicks me to the typewriter screen. I'll try fixing the cf card image again.

I'll look into the ADAMem Dos idea you had as well for the virtual drive.

Nice ADAM package for sale BTW. If only shipping to Canada was not so insane. Let me know if you have a disk drive & disks for sale ever.

It's alive again. I had to use another CF Card and use the backup image I had made of my CF Card to reformat it. The Included 60 Meg is still corrupt. I'm going to try to fix it again. At least my ADAM hardrive is back up and running.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your problems with the IDE Package and hopefully a remedy will be had without sending it back to ADAMcon. Off the top of my head, I don't recall if the IDE cable connector is keyed specifically to be connected only one way, but if you did disconnect things from the time it was working properly, I would verify the IDE cable is installed in the correct orientation.

Thanks re. the compliments on the ADAM package I have for sale... I spent way too much time on that one and I'm hoping it will find a good home. I do have a couple more Disk Drives, but they both have issues with formatting disks (one formats ok but with bad blocks and the other won't format at all), but Read and Write to previously formatted disks just fine. I haven't had the time to try to diagnose further, but am hoping it's a matter of the alignment being off slightly and an adjustment needing to be made to the Variable Capacitor. At worst, a replacement of the Disk Drive Firmware/BIOS chip otherwise there is something more serious in the circuit on the Controller Board. That's why even when a seller states "Tested and working", I tend not to believe them as most do not know how to thoroughly and properly test things like this.

The Disk Labels and ADAM Disk Sleeves are available for purchase from PBoland directly if you come across a Disk Drive.

It's alive again. I had to use another CF Card and use the backup image I had made of my CF Card to reformat it. The Included 60 Meg is still corrupt. I'm going to try to fix it again. At least my ADAM hardrive is back up and running.

It IS fairly easy to blow out a compact flash card. We did it in the testing stages of the IDE setup. You CAN actually plug the cf card in backwards (upside down if you will) into the adapter for programming it; and it kills the cf card dead as a doornail. We blew out approx 6 of them one day. And THAT is the biggest reason we supply the buyer with the dos file to make new ones, as well as the original cf image file and instructions. Software to make a new cf card on the ADAM is also included in the sale, although that is the hard way; but all you need is the ADAM itself with an ADAM disk drive. Happy to hear you got the setup working again even thoug hyou probably ruined a cf card, those are not hard to find and replace.

yeah, cf cards are not hard to come by. i'll be more careful for sure.

Its fantastic by the way. Almost instant. I loaded adam links golf off of a ddp tape the other day. It must have taken like 30 minutes it felt like. With the cf card its so fast.

I'd recommend this setup to everyone that has an ADAM.

yeah, cf cards are not hard to come by. i'll be more careful for sure.

I guess I should pickup a couple spare CF Cards to have available just in case.

Its fantastic by the way. Almost instant. I loaded adam links golf off of a ddp tape the other day. It must have taken like 30 minutes it felt like. With the cf card its so fast.

So you played ADAM Links Golf with the enhanced graphics provided by the LinkBuilder Construction Set that I configured on the CF Card? If so, that one took me a couple days to figure out how to properly configure to boot from the IDE device. I've been meaning to get back to that one and change all the input for the game from keyboard to joystick.

I'd recommend this setup to everyone that has an ADAM.

There is a bit of a learning curve to be had even for those that are familiar with the ADAM, but it is definetly a must purchase product especially when you consider the incrediblely low price that the entire IDE/CF package is being sold for.

I've got a few more systems to tackle and sell, but after that, I am turning my attention back to configuring more ADAM software for use with the IDE/CF setup and putting together some help files.

BTW, did you try "Temple of the Snow Dragon" ?

The price is incredible low for such a device and is a better choice than the SD card if your needs are ADAM specific. Obviously the ATARIMAX Cart is better for colecovision only. But I have the best of both worlds as I have both anyways.

I haven't gotten to temple of the snow dragon yet. I am aware of it and will check it out. I was playing with the Music Composition program, couldn't figure out how to save the compositions though. Very nice program and so simple my 5 year was writing 3 part music using it.

Was playing with Powerpaint, and some smart basic programs as well as ADAM links golf.

Yeah I've been using the included cf image and Also I was using the image you configured. It's really nice that I can do a mass backup to my modern PC so I don't have to worry about losing anything if I Create song fles or pictures for example.

Learning curve was not too bad so far being new to ADAM and just an end user. I got it mostly figured out.

Temple of the Snow Dragon is a really great graphic adventure game, but the instruction manual would really help. If you have the time, look in the NIAD and Nibbles & Bits Newsletters circa late 1988 for some write-ups on it. Also, in 1989, there were some further articles published which provided clues and a very detailed map of the game. You'll just have to search thru those old newsletter PDFs that are available on Joe Blenkle's website linked in the footer of my posts.

The music composition program is called VideoTunes and IIRC you need to press the Store/Get key. Well, I know that will allow you to load a song file... it's been a while. I recall "D" allows one to change the current storage device and you can use the controller keypad. Beyond that, the years have taken their toll on my memory and I don't have the manual. I would check some of the early NIAD newsletters for the review to see if it will shed some light on the key assignments.

• 5 months later...

I was playing with the Music Composition program, couldn't figure out how to save the compositions though. Very nice program and so simple my 5 year was writing 3 part music using it.

I couldn't live with the disappointment faced by your son not being able to save his VideoTunes creations, so here is a scan of the manual in PDF format that should aid tremendously.

It's funny how things work out seeing as I bought a large ADAM lot earlier this year that included the original VideoTunes DDP, but not the manual. A couple months ago the seller contacted me saying he found another box of software and manuals and would send it to me for the cost of shipping, so I agreed not knowing exactly what I would be getting. Low and behold, the VideoTunes instruction manual was included as well as some other items that I never thought I'd ever see again.

Took me a while to get around to scanning the manual, but it's finally another project off my list of things to-do.

Enjoy!

VideoTunes PDF.zip

Honestly, I'm starting to think that people are embarrased to admit that they have or even like the ADAM. icon_tears.gif

My ADAM died a long time ago. I am waiting to find one cheap at a thrift store. I hope there is a simple way to boot CP/M from the hard drive. An 80 Column card would be nice, so I could run WordStar. I would certainly NOT be embarrassed by any CP/M system that has a good keyboard, and can run WS.

-K

My ADAM died a long time ago. I am waiting to find one cheap at a thrift store. I hope there is a simple way to boot CP/M from the hard drive. An 80 Column card would be nice, so I could run WordStar. I would certainly NOT be embarrassed by any CP/M system that has a good keyboard, and can run WS.

-K

I'd be very surprised if you found a complete ADAM system (with or without box) that was in working condition at a Thrift Store... very surprised. Your best option would be to contact ADAMcon and pay the going rate as you will be gauranteed of receiving a 100% working and complete system.

The far superior CP/M replacement operating system called T-DOS comes pre-installed and configured with the IDE Package (go with the Compact Flash Card option over using another IDE drive option).

An 80 Column Card (either the EVE Electronics or Orphanware units) is an incredibly rare item to find now-a-days. You got a better chance of finding a complete and working ADAM at a Thrift Store. It would be considerably easier to obtain an ADAM Serial Interface and then hook-up a Terminal to the ADAM via this Serial Interface for 80 column output.

WordStar Rel 4 was configured for use with ADAM CP/M and I have it, but I never tested it under T-DOS. There are some incompatibilities between CP/M and T-DOS, but I think most are just due to screen formatting.

Hope I didn't burst any bubbles and best of luck in tracking down everything you mentioned.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if anyone has run the Z-System (or NZCOM) on the Adam? Z-Sys gives Aliases, named Directories(user areas), time/date stamps, and bunch of other useful stuff.

Back in the day, I had a multi-user TeleVideo system. TS-816 with various devices attached, mostly 800a's, an RWP, and some other stuff. Basically, it is a multi-user CP/M system with a custom OS called 'Network-OS' from CBIS, Inc. in Georgia.

The satellite workstations (diskless) boot from the Service Processor (816). I integrated the Z-System into the SOS (Satellite Operating System) files, and it ran great.

I got a little off the subject, but I would like to hear from anyone who has got Zsys to run on Adam. Is T-DOS similar to ZSys? And, are there any other 80-Col. cards available? I want to learn about the Adam. What would it take to make a card with a video chip on it, or possibly use an Atari XEP80 type device?

-K

I'm pretty sure that NZ.COM was configured for use on the ADAM, perhaps by Ron Collins or Tony Morehen. I'm not sure how widely used it was as I was a very "light" user of all things related to CP/M... enough to organize Public Domain volumes and answer basic questions for our members. I do recall there being an article in one of our newsletters about Z-System or perhaps they called it Z-ADAM, but I would have to look thru them all which would be very time consuming. If you want to look for it as well as read thru all the CP/M Workshops in the newsletter, follow the link in my SIG to Joe B's ADAM Computer Website were all the newsletters are in PDF format.

Once T-DOS was released to the Public Domain by Tony Morehen, everyone really gravitated to this CP/M replacement O.S. It was really that good. I've attached a PDF of the T-DOS manual for you to look over.

Only two 80 Column Cards were made for the ADAM and as I mentioned, they are extremely rare. The announced Coleco made 80 Column Card never was released. So your best option for 80 columns is an ADAM Serial Interface and a terminal... I seem to recall Heath 19 standard as well as one other that would work with the ADAM, I would contact ADAMcon via a PM on here.

T-DOS v4.5x Manual.zip

• 3 months later...

I finally bought myself an Adam and plan on ordering the IDE/CF interface. One thing I'm not clear on is the process to add/change programs on the CF card. Specifically, I want to add Dragon's Lair, Super Zaxxon and Richard Scarry's Word Book. If need be, I can do without the regular CV carts on the card, since I have the AtariMax SD cart.

Super Games are not currently playable on the IDE/CF device. NIAD can comment more on this, but the device will not run all ADAM software.

I finally bought myself an Adam and plan on ordering the IDE/CF interface. One thing I'm not clear on is the process to add/change programs on the CF card. Specifically, I want to add Dragon's Lair, Super Zaxxon and Richard Scarry's Word Book. If need be, I can do without the regular CV carts on the card, since I have the AtariMax SD cart.

Unfortunately the ADAM entertainment programs like the Super Games and Richard Scarey's BE WE are not compatible as they were programmed by Coleco on non-standard format Data Packs which do not include a valid directory.... they use block load routines.

Also, most programs that require a Memory Expander won't work because of a conflict between drivers for the M.E. and IDE.

I did hack Temple of the Snow Dragon to work and I need to get going again on some other programs that are worthy.

Edited by NIAD

• 1 month later...

Just noticed ADAMcon has released a new 100Mb CF Card and Adapter option for use with the IDE Card and offers a full package for those that did not previously purchase the 60Mb version as well as an upgrade package at a truly tremendous price. I've cut and pasted the descriptions.

There are even a couple surprise software additions in ADAM Bomb I & II that previously did not work due to conflicts between the IDE drivers and the Memory Expander drivers!

NEW this year is an even larger and more user friendly compact flash system. The new one uses 2 compact flash drives, and a larger compact flash adapter to give the user 100mb of space. This space is allocated using 40 EOS partitions and 4 TDOS partitions, uses the same IDE card and cableing as the original IDE setups.

NEW!! COMPLETE 100mb IDE package includes the IDE card, ribbon cable, power supply, compact

flash adapter, 2 ADAM formatted 100mb cards w/ 40 EOS & 4 TDOS partitions, and either disk or data pack

boot media for $80 plus shipping costs. You supply your own standard cpu power cord.

Upgrade your original system with new cards and new adapter for $15 plus shipping.

• Like 2