IGNORED

Defender of the Crown for Intellivision Kickstarter

Can Elektronite distribute an Intellivision emulator? I would imagine that Intellivision Productions reserves that right to themselves.

I don't know. It doesn't have to be included if it's a problem. It's a suggestion based on some comments posted and from what was done with Star Castle.

Pink is better than beige.

At any rate, the mock up does not show the richness of the colour we chose. When it is printed, it will be a glossy box just like D2K Arcade, and will look good.

I've learned with packaging, that you can't please everyone. Valter chose this particular shade of pink, and when I got involved with Elektronite, told me that is how he wanted Defender of the Crown to look. It will look smart. Trust me.

Regarding distribution of an emulator......there are replacement exec files that can run a lot of 3rd party programs that don't use the Exec at all. A solution could be found.

To be honest the pink doesn't really bother me that much, it's fine, but as an aside, I'd like to see a purple box used at some point. It's an underutilized colour for the INTV, off the top of my head is Pinball the only one?

Edit: just realized I'm an idiot....there were 5 purple Strategy Network games - Chess, Checkers, Utopia, Backgammon, and Reversi. Doh! :)

The more I think about it the more I agree that pink is just not the first colour I'd associate with Defender of the Crown...I actually think it would make sense as a blood red like Tower Of Doom.

Edited by cmart604

To be honest the pink doesn't really bother me that much, it's fine, but as an aside, I'd like to see a purple box used at some point. It's an underutilized colour for the INTV, off the top of my head is Pinball the only one?

Edit: just realized I'm an idiot....there were 5 purple Strategy Network games - Chess, Checkers, Utopia, Backgammon, and Reversi. Doh! :)

The more I think about it the more I agree that pink is just not the first colour I'd associate with Defender of the Crown...I actually think it would make sense as a blood red like Tower Of Doom.

Yes, blood red or deep forest green is another colour that stands out in my mind.

Vectron too!

This! That's an awesome idea.

Unless it's purely cosmetic, like an extra title screen message, please don't go this route. I can't stand it when the standard version of the game is basically incomplete by design, and you have to buy some overpriced limited edition to get the full game. Same thing with excluslve levels.

That kind of thing just isn't a good fit for this hobby. Among other issues, some of us like the idea of having a complete basic collection (i.e. no variants), but our wives/girlfriends get a lot less tolerant when they see we have multiple versions of the same game -- let alone if they learn we paid hundreds of dollars for the privilege.

(I'm talking, of course, about in-game content. As for physical tchotchkes that come with the limited-edition version, go nuts. :D )

I agree with the need for rewards to be supplements to the actual game. Special ediitions with boxes, instructions, overlays, title screens, etc. are fine. But not extra levels or "only avaialble at this place-and-time" games.

I personally like the idea of using the Kickstarter to "reserve" games -- which plays into that entry level coupon item. Get the word out and use this to pre-sell the effort. That way you can instantly see if the market it there to go further.

Mike from Morgantown

Voltron is going to be working on a demo video of the actual Intellivision game play.

I need a Defender of the Crown expert with an Intellicart or Cuttle Cart 3 to play the game, and document what is complete, what is missing. I don't know the game and I am only going from what I have been told about its state of completion. I can't get it to do much...I certainly can't get the picture of the girl up on the playable version.

I think one of the pledge levels will be for distributors. You will be able to buy the game at wholesale prices to sell. - Which of course helps distribution as well when it does get made.

I know that some of the enthusiasts here buy multiple copies....2, sometimes 4 copies.....that will be available as well, along with the ROM/overlays/instructions for the Cuttle cart/emulator crowd.

When D2K Arcade sells out, we will sell Roms, but DOTC will be funded from the start so we aren't concerned about pre-selling the ROM.

I know I can get a nice poster made. Perhaps some Elektronite Keychains....any other ideas?

Voltron is going to be working on a demo video of the actual Intellivision game play.

I need a Defender of the Crown expert with an Intellicart or Cuttle Cart 3 to play the game, and document what is complete, what is missing. I don't know the game and I am only going from what I have been told about its state of completion. I can't get it to do much...I certainly can't get the picture of the girl up on the playable version.

I think one of the pledge levels will be for distributors. You will be able to buy the game at wholesale prices to sell. - Which of course helps distribution as well when it does get made.

I know that some of the enthusiasts here buy multiple copies....2, sometimes 4 copies.....that will be available as well, along with the ROM/overlays/instructions for the Cuttle cart/emulator crowd.

When D2K Arcade sells out, we will sell Roms, but DOTC will be funded from the start so we aren't concerned about pre-selling the ROM.

I know I can get a nice poster made. Perhaps some Elektronite Keychains....any other ideas?

Just an idea . For a high price pledge, maybe a Limited edition DOTC Sword or Helmet., or both For medium or low price pledges, posters and keychains, will be good. Also, maybe bumper stickers, buttons/pins, and t-shirts. If there is a lot of rooms or levels in the game, maybe a map will be cool. Edited by atari5200dude82

Just an idea . For a high price pledge, maybe a Limited edition DOTC Sword or Helmet., or both For medium or low price pledges, posters and keychains, will be good. Also, maybe bumper stickers, buttons/pins, and t-shirts. If there is a lot of rooms or levels in the game, maybe a map will be cool.

Ohhhh ... a map of the country. Great idea!

A cloth map would be awesome ... like you used to get with the Ultima series back in the day. Yeah, that may be too much to ask for, but cool!

An Electronite color catalogue!

Where would I get a cloth map? Hmmmm, I guess that is silk screen printing....I know a place that does silk screen printing as I went there to try and get the overlays done.

I don't want to make funding levels that are more work than they are worth. If someone knows of a place to buy a suitable sword, or medieval helmet for example, that might be doable.

Do we have any volunteers to write a pitch?

Let's assume that we can convince Carl to finish the game if we are funded.....so, we have a an experienced and proven programmer.... We have a 60 percent completed game...the source code to the game....we have box art, a cart sticker....a proven record of bringing new Intellivision games to market...we are not going anywhere....you can trust that you will get the rewards that you pledge......permission to do it (seems that might be an issue with some people) from Cinemaware.....a technically superior cartridge that can fit a HUGE game....(ie there are no technical barriers to putting it on a real cartridge).....Excellent quality packaging......did I miss anything?

We could talk about the origin of Defender of the Crown, and how it would be really cool to do it on a machine like the Intellivision, and the coolness factor alone should be enough reason to support the endevour.

i am willing to buy roms. trying to work on being a minimalist and use a wii and xbox 360 for old school. i have no problems paying for roms. i would pay full price for roms. you can even tag them if you wanna make sure i dont distribute. i personally dont want a bunch of stuff. only things that are neccessary to play. i am in a situation where i need to play roms for old school, but not trying to steal things i can help the little man out by paying for. nobody has been willing to sell me roms for full price even though it pays them for a full boxed game they dont have to make. there are several people here in my situation that would pay for virtual items. i have about 180 live arcade games and about 175 paid iphone apps. personally i am trying to keep everything contained to my wii, xbox 360, and iphone.

For those interested....Kickstarter just updated their policies (effective immediately). Here's the link below, but basically more emphasis on the risks and no renderings or simulations of what the product will eventually be. You have to publicize the current state of the active prototype.

http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/kickstarter-is-not-a-store

For those interested....Kickstarter just updated their policies (effective immediately). Here's the link below, but basically more emphasis on the risks and no renderings or simulations of what the product will eventually be. You have to publicize the current state of the active prototype.

http://www.kickstart...-is-not-a-store

Thanks for that. I think it's good that Kickstarter is trying to reduce the exploitation of the site by re-enforcing the idea that the whole point is to fund emerging projects in development, and not to pre-order products. You may get a reward in return for your investment if the project succeeds, and this reward may include the product being developed--but that is not the actual point.

-dZ.