IGNORED

ALL Atari 2600 Hacks As Of September 2012

mtshark7

snstay: LOL nice!

All: I have FINALLY completed updating ALL of the hacks! I have broke them down into a 10 part .rar file (change the .txt to .rar, since AA won't allow you to upload .rar files)

Lemme know what you think :)

It has been a HUGE project from copying all the hack files on all 24 pages in the Atari 2600 Hacks section, then adding everyone's compilation of hacks and combining them into one huge folder

Im not understanding this .txt thing how do i get the files out of this?

Well they are .rar files...however, you can't upload those file types on here. So I 'trick' it and change the extension to .txt so it thinks it's just a text file.

You have to change .txt to .rar and use WINRAR to extract the files.

Here is how to change file extensions:

http://www.mediacollege.com/microsoft/windows/extension-change.html

WinRAR can be DLed here via BitTorrent:

http://1337x.org/torrent/203641/0/

WinRAR can be DLed here via BitTorrent:

http://1337x.org/torrent/203641/0/

I haven't clicked your link, but it doesn't look good. The trial of WinRAR is sufficient and can be downloaded for free directly from rarlabs. There's no need to post a warez link.

Also, 7zip is free & opensource and is more suitable for this type of archive. You could probably condense those 10 parts down to 2 or at most 3.

KevinMos3: Oh I didn't know 7 zip was free. I just been soo used to .rar and .zip, never really messed with 7 zip before.

For those that prefer 7 zip; I attached those (3 files) format as well. Just remove the .txt extension.

ALL ATARI 2600 HACKS (10-02-2012).7z.001.txt

ALL ATARI 2600 HACKS (10-02-2012).7z.002.txt

ALL ATARI 2600 HACKS (10-02-2012)7z..003.txt

Edited by Mark T

I tried the files in #30 and got a corrupted archive.. Look.. why not just stick with one .zip file and call it a day? All these multiple parts and experimenting with different archive formats isn't working out. At least not for me.

Meh.. I just got the 10 part rar archive. Is that the latest one?

Edited by Keatah

Pioneer4x4: Whew! I thought so! :P

Snstay: I can’t post the files without the .txt extension cos AA won’t let you upload any archived files (Ex: .Tgz, .zip, .rar, .7z…etc.)

So in order to upload them on here I have to ‘trick’ AA site to think it’s an actual text file. Doing extension conversions doesn't change the actaul file whatsoever.

Keatah: Did you extract them properly in 7 zip? How I do it is: I put the files in a new folder on the desktop with the 3 files in it. Make sure to remove the .txt extension. With those files you don’t have to replace it with another extension cos the .7z extension is still there. Load up 7 zip. Open the folder where the 3 files are. Select all three…then hit extract and hit enter cos it will extract the folder into where the 3 files are.

Don't worry it took me a lil bit to get used to 7 zip, and I'm a computer engineer, but once you get used to it, it's actually better than Winrar and compresses more...which is also good cos the original folder is like 23MB! Also I can only upload 2 MB file at a time.

If you want you can use the .rar version on the previous page…it is the same exact one as the 7 zip one.

All: Anyone else have issues with the files? Feedback? Suggestions? Etc…I have my own observation. I did notice some? bankswitched files are in with the supercharger conversion folder. Mostly I did this cos when I read the post Nukey stated that some of the hacks were backswitched and supercharger converted that's why you will have the same hack in both folders....Soo should I make a new folder called bankswitched & supercharger conversions and just store the files in there, or keep it the way it is?

• Like 1

Keatah: I was the same way..been using .rar ever since I started dl'ing torrents. 7 Zip's interface does suck but 1.It compresses ALOT more memory, 2.It's free, 3.See Reason #2 ;)

When I update my hacks file should I include both .7z and .rar format? or just include .7z?

I know I gotta do more work on my hacks compilation, esp the .txt file that is outdated...just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I use winRAR because of the interface.

I would just use plain .zip format, everybody can seemingly handle it.

Then I'd go to 7zip. People sort of know what that is. And it's open source, but the interface suXErs.

And then finally .rar. More technically minded folk know what .rar is. And you have to pay for it to work with it.

In the case of picking the best format for posting these things, go with the common denominator, .zip. Give up some performance in exchange for widespread acceptance.

Yes, absolutely. Keep things simple. In today's day and age of big disks, there's little reason to finagle over a few percent compression ratio.

Granted, a 7zip can outdo regular .zip compression. But that's not always the case when you pit 7zip again WinRAR. I've seen some files compress better on WinRAR and some better on 7zip. I don't want to get into a pissing contest about compression. So I shall leave it at that.

But all that aside. Go with the most common file format, and that would be .zip. If you need to split it into 2 or more parts - make each file not dependent on a previous part. Do like a A-J, then L-Z, or something. Just as long as the "customer" doesn't need to rename and reassemble anything.

• Like 1

Dr Manhattan: Thanks!

OldSchoolRetroGamer: Putting it all in one .zip file will still be way too big to post on here. I never tried sendspace…might have to look into that.

Keatah: I can try to see if I can split up the .zip files into 2MB portions and see if that works. Not entirely sure how to do that with windows 7 winzip tho.

TheGameCollector: Haha…true that!

J. McDermott: Hmm…7-zip didn’t work? I could try and post screen shots/tutorial on how to use the program if interested. Glad to hear that .rar files worked :)

So I think what I'm gonna do with the posting files is: I'm gonna keep 7-zip and add a tutorial for ppl not familiar with the program. I'm also gonna try and see if I can split up the .zip file into 2MB portions and post both formats from now on.

• Like 1

OldSchoolRetroGamer: Putting it all in one .zip file will still be way too big to post on here. I never tried sendspace…might have to look into that.

Well that was my point, don't host it here. a simple link to where it is hosted has never been simpler. Sendspace is just one example. there are many free hosting sites that are dead simple. Most go like this:

1. Go to site.

2. Click upload

3. Post the download link you are provided after upload is complete.

Simple, free and no more size limitations.

http://web.appstorm.net/roundups/communication-roundups/10-easy-sites-for-file-sharing/

One of the simplest:

http://www.filedropper.com/

• Like 1

What would be the best for the "customer" would be to manually make several archives.

You select a bunch of files perhaps a-f and then zip those. The resultant file should be under 2mb.

Then select g-o and do those. And p-z finally. You manually pick a range of files to zip. And you end up with 3 independent archives containing a portion of the collection. Either that, or host the complete a-z and 0-9 zip file on another filehosting service.

But downloading and reading a tutorial on how to unpack things? No. Installing another program with the potential to change your file association assignments, no.

• 3 weeks later...

DoctorTom: You may have show file extensions decativated on windows.

Go to Tools -> Folder Options ->View. And make sure Hide extensions for known file types in unchecked. This will allow you to change the .txt to .rar or what not.

Keatah: You can't upload more than 2MB at a time. To split up the already 25MB file will have to upload approx 12 split up files!

I haven't done any new updates. The ones posted are the first version. I plan to create an account with one of those free file sharing sites whenever I get around to updating the files and will post a link to it. Lets just hope they allow me to upload a 25 MB file ;)