IGNORED

Super Game Module now available for order

opcode

Kato+Chan+%26+Ken+Chan+(J)-006.png

sorry... couldn't help it

Besides I'm not even sure the french version was actually made --

quote "It is possible, that there later will be manufactured a French version of the module."

@TMOSteel -- I agree but who wrote this then? Apparently outdated but it looks rather detailled

Not sure who wrote it, but that site has been around for a while, it has very good information.

Is it possible to know how many people are paid and waiting for their SGM ?

I paid for 2 ($200) SGM French Scart Version.

I guess you could start a new thread and just update the first post with everyone's information, those that paid, how many, received or didn't receive, decided to wait for new sticker etc.

You can add my information to yours: ordered two SGM modules received two SGM modules. These would be NTSC/non Scart versions if you want more detail.

Next.

Ha, I told you guys from the beginning there would come a time where these game conversions made specifically for the SGM would need to be dumped and emulated due to limited amounts of hardware being made. When he said only 200 units at a time I knew it was going to be bad. It looks like that time has come a lot sooner - before the second run of hardware even made it out the gate!

Developers wouldn't like that either because why would they want to be limited to making 200 copies of a game - only 1 for each known existing SGM in case every owner of the add-on wants every game? If it came down to that limit of sales I wouldn't think they would want to make the effort in coding more games for it. If they were coding for the plain ColecoVision they would have the potential to sell thousands or at least the upper hundreds instead.

Luckily as I recall from earlier in the thread, the only SGM exclusive games so far are just copies of MSX titles and there aren't any true homebrew exclusives or original games for it. Is that still the truth about the SGM thus far?

The "French version", as you call it, doesn't need to me "made". You just take a regular SGM, and do a little alteration on its electronics to make it work with the French SCART CV console. I don't know what this alteration is technically, but from what I (vaguely) recall Eduardo saying, it was a minor mod.

Apparently just a small pin to remove...but to your knowledge has this operation ever been done on any module of the 1st or 2nd batch?

And has it ever been actually tested on a french coleco? Sounds silly to ask but you never know...

Edited by neo*fan

Ha, I told you guys from the beginning there would come a time where these game conversions made specifically for the SGM would need to be dumped and emulated due to limited amounts of hardware being made. When he said only 200 units at a time I knew it was going to be bad. It looks like that time has come a lot sooner - before the second run of hardware even made it out the gate!

Developers wouldn't like that either because why would they want to be limited to making 200 copies of a game - only 1 for each known existing SGM in case every owner of the add-on wants every game? If it came down to that limit of sales I wouldn't think they would want to make the effort in coding more games for it. If they were coding for the plain ColecoVision they would have the potential to sell thousands or at least the upper hundreds instead.

Luckily as I recall from earlier in the thread, the only SGM exclusive games so far are just copies of MSX titles and there aren't any true homebrew exclusives or original games for it. Is that still the truth about the SGM thus far?

Not to sound harsh, but it's obvious you know very little about the ColecoVision community as it stands today. It's a niche market with little room for growth, where homebrew games are concerned. The idea that there are thousands of ColecoVision owners out there just waiting to buy homebrew games is a total misconception. This community is much smaller than you realize, with most of the homebrew games released being purchased by the same core group of devoted CV fans, and every year we lose and gain a few of these CV fans in roughly equal measure, so the total number of "active members" of this community remains roughly the same as time goes by. There's been a little bit of growth in recent years, but nothing to brag about. Once you've sold 100 copies of a particular game, you've met over 90% of the general demand, unless it's a highly-coveted title.

As for the SGM, sorry to break it to you, but Opcode Games and Team Pixelboy (i.e. Eduardo Mello and myself) are the only entities publishing games for it, with the notable exception of CollectorVision who published Rollerball (which was ported from the MSX by Eduardo). A couple of homebrew authors have stated their interest in making at least one game for the SGM, but nothing has been done so far, and given how Eduardo has been M.I.A. for so long, I'm not surprised.

You'll find that most CV homebrew authors prefer to stick to the basic limitations of the ColecoVision console for making their games (1K of RAM, 32K cartridge, native sound chip) not so much because they turn their nose up at the SGM, but mostly because it's hard enough to make a 32K game without having to worry about extra RAM and an extra sound chip.

The real issue is not with the SGM itself, but with cartridge space, as very few homebrewers are interested in making MegaCart games (when I say MegaCart, I mean to include all types of bankswitching cartridges that allow a programmer to break the 32K ROM limit). Let's face it: To truly take advantage of the SGM, you need more than 32K, especially if you want to make good music and sound effects with the SGM's sound chip. There's also the technical issue of programming itself: There's basically next to nothing out there (in terms of documentation and pre-coded libraries) to help a programmer make a game for the SGM in C language, so you're limited to Z80 assembly language for making a SGM game, which means you need to be an expert at it and know the ColecoVision inside and out. There aren't a lot of individuals like that today, and this contributes to the ColecoVision homebrew community staying a niche market.

• Like 12

Not to sound harsh, but it's obvious you know very little about the ColecoVision community as it stands today. It's a niche market with little room for growth, where homebrew games are concerned. The idea that there are thousands of ColecoVision owners out there just waiting to buy homebrew games is a total misconception. This community is much smaller than you realize, with most of the homebrew games released being purchased by the same core group of devoted CV fans, and every year we lose and gain a few of these CV fans in roughly equal measure, so the total number of "active members" of this community remains roughly the same as time goes by. There's been a little bit of growth in recent years, but nothing to brag about. Once you've sold 100 copies of a particular game, you've met over 90% of the general demand, unless it's a highly-coveted title.As for the SGM, sorry to break it to you, but Opcode Games and Team Pixelboy (i.e. Eduardo Mello and myself) are the only entities publishing games for it, with the notable exception of CollectorVision who published Rollerball (which was ported from the MSX by Eduardo). A couple of homebrew authors have stated their interest in making at least one game for the SGM, but nothing has been done so far, and given how Eduardo has been M.I.A. for so long, I'm not surprised.You'll find that most CV homebrew authors prefer to stick to the basic limitations of the ColecoVision console for making their games (1K of RAM, 32K cartridge, native sound chip) not so much because they turn their nose up at the SGM, but mostly because it's hard enough to make a 32K game without having to worry about extra RAM and an extra sound chip.The real issue is not with the SGM itself, but with cartridge space, as very few homebrewers are interested in making MegaCart games (when I say MegaCart, I mean to include all types of bankswitching cartridges that allow a programmer to break the 32K ROM limit). Let's face it: To truly take advantage of the SGM, you need more than 32K, especially if you want to make good music and sound effects with the SGM's sound chip. There's also the technical issue of programming itself: There's basically next to nothing out there (in terms of documentation and pre-coded libraries) to help a programmer make a game for the SGM in C language, so you're limited to Z80 assembly language for making a SGM game, which means you need to be an expert at it and know the ColecoVision inside and out. There aren't a lot of individuals like that today, and this contributes to the ColecoVision homebrew community staying a niche market.

100% agree!

I could not say it better

• Like 2

The real issue is not with the SGM itself, but with cartridge space, as very few homebrewers are interested in making MegaCart games (when I say MegaCart, I mean to include all types of bankswitching cartridges that allow a programmer to break the 32K ROM limit). Let's face it: To truly take advantage of the SGM, you need more than 32K, especially if you want to make good music and sound effects with the SGM's sound chip. There's also the technical issue of programming itself: There's basically next to nothing out there (in terms of documentation and pre-coded libraries) to help a programmer make a game for the SGM in C language, so you're limited to Z80 assembly language for making a SGM game, which means you need to be an expert at it and know the ColecoVision inside and out. There aren't a lot of individuals like that today, and this contributes to the ColecoVision homebrew community staying a niche market.

I'd be programming for it right now if I could figure out how to get the tools running on my OSX 10.9 iMac. Either my OS is too new, or the tools are outdated, or the tools have been upgraded but work different, or the documentation misses step 4, 7 and 10 of 10... and so on... seriously, it sucks.

Really all I want to do is get some programming done. I don't care if it is in assembler or C.

I'd be programming for it right now if I could figure out how to get the tools running on my OSX 10.9 iMac. Either my OS is too new, or the tools are outdated, or the tools have been upgraded but work different, or the documentation misses step 4, 7 and 10 of 10... and so on... seriously, it sucks.

Really all I want to do is get some programming done. I don't care if it is in assembler or C.

Work on windows... :D

• Like 1

Seriously if you are on Mac get yourself Parallels or even better VMWare Fusion and make a Windows XP or 7 sub host. Use BlueMSX as the emulator as it has a debugger.

My preference is assembler - tniasm and I use ConText as the editor.

I have written more updated tools (that I am not quite ready to release) but they also run on Windows only as they use .Net.

• Like 1

If it's not secret defense... How many subscribers to your newsletters?

Thousands.... um, upper hundreds... um, 200. |:) I couldn't resist. ;)

Seriously, there is only one person buying all these homebrew releases and hoarding them away in a secret warehouse somewhere in the Sahara Desert or was it they were being buried in the desert out west. Anyway, I have concluded that it's Bill Gates and he is doing this so that everyone is forced to buy the XBox One.

• Like 2

Seriously, there is only one person buying all these homebrew releases and hoarding them away in a secret warehouse somewhere in the Sahara Desert or was it they were being buried in the desert out west. Anyway, I have concluded that it's Bill Gates and he is doing this so that everyone is forced to buy the XBox One.

Never! haha :twisted:

I wouldn't touch that thing with a ten foot pole right now..

• Like 2

I used to just get mad at myself for seeing new posts in this thread, then reading them, thinking there might be Eduardo posting or some positive information.

I still get fooled when I see there's new posts here, but now I just punch myself in the face a few times, knowing full well I shouldn't even bother clicking on it, though I do..

There is always hope!

I still think Eduardo is reading these and I actually think he is going to deliver everything. Though I don't know him he has an obvious dedication to his work & these projects. If you notice a lot of the pixelboy releases were actually ported by Eduardo Mello including thexder & king's valley.

He has obviously been overwhelmed by something. I think he'll return and deliver. Yeah it's over due but better late than ...

I used to just get mad at myself for seeing new posts in this thread, then reading them, thinking there might be Eduardo posting or some positive information.

I still get fooled when I see there's new posts here, but now I just punch myself in the face a few times, knowing full well I shouldn't even bother clicking on it, though I do..

Alright, let me finish what I have started... sad stories and apologies later...

First I need to put first run behind me. For that I still need to:

- Sell 8 SGMs on eBay, as part of my 10 SGMs agreement with one of the buyers

- Sell the remaining 2 crystal clear SGMs on eBay

- Contact remaining SGM buyers from 1st run and ship everything. I will no longer offer the option to hold the SGM because of the name plate

Once that is done, I will take care of the 2nd run, but I can already say that cases and connectors have been ordered.

Back in a moment, going to list some SGMs on eBay...

Eduardo

• Like 15

... in case you've got the urge to ignore this thread, maybe you'll get notified now... . ;)