IGNORED

HSC Season #3 - Game #9 BurgerTime!

cparsley

Well done. That is a great score. Do you mean last attempt today or last attempt for this hsc game?

Thanks. Maybe my last attempt for the game. I could change my mind after i have rested some.

My best score of all time is 230,150 and i made it to level 21. But that was on speed 2 and it was during Season 1, Game 1 of the HSC. Speed 2 is painfully slow and you have all day to lure the enemies. I still only got second place being beaten by 5,550 points by jaybird3rd. Funny thing is, just now i was searching my computer and searching Imageshack for my screen shot of that score, but it looks like i lost it and it has been deleted. I like to save those. :)

With the fear of competition on my heels i played again and did even better. Still couldn't reach the 200,000 mark though. I think i'd need a perfect game with no mistakes to reach 200,000.

I recorded a video of this playthrough that i will be uploading a little later and i'll post it here if anybody wants to watch it.

post-25251-0-69097600-1349133156_thumb.jpg

Huge score !

Thanks for the video :)

BTW, I couldn't play before next week when I'll see back my collection (I moved soon and all my stuffs are still packed somewhere).

Edited by scalpel

Do you guys use a similar strategy for each level, or do you find some levels tougher in which to corral the enemies together? I try to drop as many as I can on the ingredients, but I don't know some levels well enough and end up just trying to survive.

Besides a very minor strategy i learned at the beginning of level 1, i don't have a specific method to get them all together. Sometimes i just get lucky and other times i just run for my life. But i do try to drop as many enemies as possible. When i'm just trying to survive i'll drop just 1 enemy once in a while.

I have patterns thru the first 7, after that it's more than knowing what the tendencies of the enemies are than a specific pattern. (and usually level 7s pattern falls flat...)

comparing to the video posted above (only seen about the first minute or so (at work atm), I can say I have a different starting path than the video poster does) AKA, there's more than 1 way to rock the bun :)

gavvv, Ryan Gavigan

I tried a ustream of it, and it 'recorded' :), though it's a flimsy webcam connected to a laptop with a not so optimized lighting setup for the game area, and i apparently didn't enable sound, but it's there.

http://www.ustream.t...corded/25866295

key is being able to point press and group effectively especially on the 2nd 'fry' board (5) that gives you the most ladders to work with and on the 2.5 board, getting some 8k's are pretty key.

post-14968-0-89006900-1349228555_thumb.jpg

gavvv, Ryan Gavigan

I tried a ustream of it, and it 'recorded' :), though it's a flimsy webcam connected to a laptop with a not so optimized lighting setup for the game area, and i apparently didn't enable sound, but it's there.

http://www.ustream.t...corded/25866295

key is being able to point press and group effectively especially on the 2nd 'fry' board (5) that gives you the most ladders to work with and on the 2.5 board, getting some 8k's are pretty key.

Jesus. Competition is over. You won. ;) :-D

Just watched the video. Damn impressive. I liked how you died a few times adjusting the camera. You probably could of had 400,000 without it. I bet you were calmly playing with one hand tied behind your back. :lolblue:

I did learn a few things, but not so sure i can calmly execute them. Calm is one thing i'm not. LOL

And what do you mean by 2.5 board?

Jesus. Competition is over. You won. ;) :-D

Just watched the video. Damn impressive. I liked how you died a few times adjusting the camera. You probably could of had 400,000 without it. I bet you were calmly playing with one hand tied behind your back. :lolblue:

I did learn a few things, but not so sure i can calmly execute them. Calm is one thing i'm not. LOL

And what do you mean by 2.5 board?

I meant board 5 on the 2nd loop. I just never got used to just using the actual incremental #s

gavv

yeah, i'd bumped the cable of it with my knee and had to keep trying to nudge it one handed while glancing 90 degrees to the side to check the ustream window and get it recentered ^^;

Some impressive scores are coming in. I'm curious to know the history people have with this game. I, unfortunately, have never seen an arcade Burgertime cabinet. My first exposure to this game was on Intellivison, and I have loved it ever since, playing it on and off over the years. I want to acquire more versions of it, but I keep hearing intv is the best version anyway. I still need Diner!

I'm glad the hsc chose this game, as it's been a while since I played, and I scored a personal best last night!

Some impressive scores are coming in. I'm curious to know the history people have with this game. I, unfortunately, have never seen an arcade Burgertime cabinet. My first exposure to this game was on Intellivison, and I have loved it ever since, playing it on and off over the years. I want to acquire more versions of it, but I keep hearing intv is the best version anyway. I still need Diner!

I'm glad the hsc chose this game, as it's been a while since I played, and I scored a personal best last night!

Good to hear you beated your personal best! What are you waiting for? You don't really need to take pictures to submit a score, let us know what it is and join us!

And I'm building my BurgerTime and Intellivision history right now. I never had an Inty before and I'm happy to start everything with you guys.

I just had played Beef Drop for Atari 7800 HSC, never had played another version before, and I recorded it. Of course it's nothing compared with the games I see here. :-D

That's the Atari 7800 version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmOWgfMbdvM&feature=player_embedded

most versions of Burgertime are great and play to the strengths and weaknesses of whatever machine they are on. The INTV version is confined by working space, but does awesome in that guidelines. Coleco/NES have more space to work with, Coleco did well there, NES bombed lol...

And the VCS, it's a miracle to get any BurgerTime! there considering what's available w/o having little to no flickering!

Edited by cparsley

My history with Burgertime begins when this game came with my Intellivision 2 i got for Christmas of 83. And it's just within the last few years i have acquired other versions of it. Colecovision, Beef Drop, etc.

Edited by IntellivisionDude

Good to hear you beated your personal best! What are you waiting for? You don't really need to take pictures to submit a score, let us know what it is and join us!

And I'm building my BurgerTime and Intellivision history right now. I never had an Inty before and I'm happy to start everything with you guys.

I just had played Beef Drop for Atari 7800 HSC, never had played another version before, and I recorded it. Of course it's nothing compared with the games I see here. :-D

That's the Atari 7800 version.

If i'd of known that Beef Drop was up i may have attempted a score, i probably wouldn't of gotten first but i'd of participated anyway. But i never keep up with the high score sections for other systems. Oh well.

If you are interested in seeing the extra bonus levels i have a video of them. :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO5UhP6nP20

most versions of Burgertime are great and play to the strengths and weaknesses of whatever machine they are on. The INTV version is confined by working space, but does awesome in that guidelines. Coleco/NES have more space to work with, Coleco did well there, NES bombed lol...

And the VCS, it's a miracle to get any BurgerTime! there considering what's available w/o having little to no flickering!

I actually felt that the Colecovision/Beef Drop versions was more confined and the Intellivision version had more working space. It just depends on what you mean. If you mean the Intellivision version has less ladders and less ways to escape then i will agree with you, but if you mean the size of the playing field then i can't agree with you. The Intellivision version has bigger ingredients and you don't feel cramped and have more room on the ingredients to drop the enemies. Just my opinion.

My apologies, my statement comes from the actual programming space to create levels. With the "cramped-ness" of the Coleco version, you are able to create more levels, more platforms, etc. than in the Intellivision version. So beauty-wise, oh heck yes Intellivison has it hands down, but when it comes to generating new levels for Intellivision BurgerTime!, it's not as easy as one would think due to the limitations as to how many rows/colums you have to work with for a level design (ladders, platforms, patties, etc) I hope that clears up my statement.

• Like 1

Slowly improving my score, I'll be happy if I can break the 100k.

keep trying! Key is getting comfortable maneuvering without *having* to clear the board or rushing to clear the board, dropping enemies only from the bottom-most ingredients, then you can work on grouping for higher drops. I played for many months back in 83-84 at my best friend's house as it and Utopia were our favorite games. took a while to master timing but i remember in the day getting to max about 160k.

gavv

• Like 1

I haven't done it in the intv version, but the nes Burgertime has a great maneuver I always loved using. If you have the timing down, you can run towards an enemy and drop him on the ingredient as he runs over the very edge. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I wonder if it can be done on other versions. It seems like on nes, the ingredients have a wider area of being able to drop the enemies.

I never quite dug the NES burgertime version, though haven't played it in a while. Beef Drop for 5200,A8bit, 7800 are good, though i in general don't like the drop-the-enemies-and-they-respawn-instead-of-reviving-where-they-dropped behavior.

2600 - Slow, respawning enemies, can be on one level and be killed by an enemy on the next level down in certain places. But on positive side has mostly consistent behavior.

C64 - absolute worst BT version on classic systems. ugly and plays totally different

Apple2 - good looking for A2 of the time, only controls with keyboard (no joystick support as far as I know), and unique and many levels (that is by far my favorite part of the A2 version, levels you wont' see elsewhere).

TI994A - decent but very slow and has imho, broken scoring system. you get as many points for squashing enemies as you do dropping them.

CV - good controls, easier to score high. you notice INTV version adds a touch of randomness to how ingredients revive after drops, can be spread out some and go different directions, making grouping tough. in CV, you can hold together an 8k group for multiple consecutive drops fairly easily. Has a game ending glitch that cuts the game short if you do not avoid the scenario to produce it

Gameboy - BT Deluxe has unique things like extra long ingredients and some random mini-games.

GBC - Flintstones BT in Bedrock - not really that interesting and has some confusing and unpredictable gameplay controls.

Mattel Aquarius - surprisingly holds up. Fidelity is much lower on this machine. good controls similiar to INTV but can be a bit clunky almost a bit like a halfway point between an Inty version and a LED tabletop version.

gavv

Apple2 - good looking for A2 of the time, only controls with keyboard (no joystick support as far as I know), and unique and many levels (that is by far my favorite part of the A2 version, levels you wont' see elsewhere).

Anyone got a video of these extra levels, depending on how complicated their patterns I could possibly get it to work in the INTV burgertime setup.

Just watched (or tried to watch) the videos posted here, your Beef Drop/BT versions videos INTVGuy lovely... watching your gameplay on INTV BT! was interesting (different patterns than what I normally play), however my mother more loved your running commentary, including the 5 times to go to level 2 :)

As for gavvv, the glare on your display, and the non-direct focus on the display made watching your video an well, pain. If I was still doing TG results, I'd of probably rejected it... (especially make sure the glare isn't on) :)

• Like 1