IGNORED

Infiltrate supposed to be licenced game or something?

Atarifever

Old timey spies wore hats. I don't think it's a cowboy hat. And I don't think it has anything to do with McDonald's.

Oh, I understand that. But again, the McDonald's conspiracy aside, the box art and manual text are much more "James Bond" and the game is somewhere between Keystone and Donkey Kong. Regardless why that is the case, it feels like a pretty big disconnect in the marketing. As has been pointed out above, there really were people who felt that disconnect after buying the game.

Again, if you're making a big deal about old timey spy hats, to the point of making it the extra lives marker and putting it on the character graphic, why not write the story about an old timey spy, or put an old timey spy on the box art, or have the old timey spy fight something besides hampster mutants?

So it's not a time-traveling Abraham Lincoln on a secret mission 500 years into the future where robots guard precious documents that were stolen from the past?

It is now!

New story:

You are Abraham Lincoln. One second before the shot is fired that is supposed to kill you, time travellers from the distant future (or the fourth dimension; you're never sure) pull you into the time stream. They replace your body with a lifeless clone so no one ever knows the difference.

Upon arriving in the future,they tell you why you are needed: You must infiltrate the headquarters of the communist zombies and steal all their documents! Communist zombies with documents: not on Lincoln's watch!

The communist zombies have a very secure base. It is located INSIDE a rainbow. There are no stairs, but only a series of oddly placed elevators. And robots guard it at all times. The robots have no hands, because they don't need them, but shoot death rays from their eyes. When shot, the robots make one last attempt to end your life by expending all the remaining energy in their batteries in a final electrical explosion that can kill you on contact.

Just before you are sent into the rainbow base through a magic prism, you are told what it is that you are retrieving. It is actually the shreded parts of a single document. The communist zombies travelled through time to steal a very important document before it could be signed: The constitution of the United States of America!

Edited by Atarifever
  • Like 1

New story:

You are Abraham Lincoln. One second before the shot is fired that is supposed to kill you, time travellers from the distant future (or the fourth dimension; you're never sure) pull you into the time stream. They replace your body with a lifeless clone so no one ever knows the difference.

Upon arriving in the future,they tell you why you are needed: You must infiltrate the headquarters of the communist zombies and steal all their documents! Communist zombies with documents: not on Lincoln's watch!

Abraham Lincoln in the 24th-and-a-Half Century: Communist Zombie Killer

Not sure how I can justify this now, but as a kid, I thought of the game as a 2600 version of Elevator Action. Except, I never got to play it as a kid because my brand new copy never worked so all I had to go by were screenshots on the box and the manual. I didn't get to actually play it until I bought a used copy somewhere else many years later.

Just this past spring, I decided to open up that non-working copy of Infiltrate. It turns out that sticking the PCB in my Atari worked just fine. It appears that the way the PCB sits in the cart housing prevented it from making good enough contact with the connector pins!

It is interesting to compare the "Original" box to the "Blue" box layout. Most notably, the Blue box has a screen shot added on the back. But numerous small details in the artwork have also changed. Finding them is like game in itself:

1. Building to the lower right is different.

2. Man's hair and face have changed.

3. Jacket shoulder patch is different (looks like the Original version had the Apollo logo). Front pockets have been revised.

It is interesting to compare the "Original" box to the "Blue" box layout. Most notably, the Blue box has a screen shot added on the back. But numerous small details in the artwork have also changed. Finding them is like game in itself:

1. Building to the lower right is different.

2. Man's hair and face have changed.

3. Jacket shoulder patch is different (looks like the Original version had the Apollo logo). Front pockets have been revised.

I'm pretty certain the enemy who is firing is screaming in one version but looks more straight faced in the other.

Man, the rabbit hole for this game is pretty deep. I may have to start a website.

I just happened to catch this thread and for whatever reason I felt compelled to contribute to it.

Now, I am not sure if it will help to support the theory, but among my Atari 2600 protos, I do happen to have an Infiltrate proto cartridge. I can take some pics and play test the cart this weekend in order to compare it with the released version and see if it has any differences and then post the results here, if there is any interest in that.

• Like 2

I just happened to catch this thread and for whatever reason I felt compelled to contribute to it.

Now, I am not sure if it will help to support the theory, but among my Atari 2600 protos, I do happen to have an Infiltrate proto cartridge. I can take some pics and play test the cart this weekend in order to compare it with the released version and see if it has any differences and then post the results here, if there is any interest in that.

I am unable to imagine how there would not be interest in that.

Please do this. Please, please, please. Thank you.

Hell I would be interested in seeing it too ;)

I always dug that game back in the day. I looked at the enemies in Infiltrate as sort of the humanoid versions of the aliens in Space Cavern. I can see where you're coming from, but personally I just looked at it as artistic license with the box art.

Regardless why that is the case, it feels like a pretty big disconnect in the marketing. As has been pointed out above, there really were people who felt that disconnect after buying the game.

Again, if you're making a big deal about old timey spy hats, to the point of making it the extra lives marker and putting it on the character graphic, why not write the story about an old timey spy, or put an old timey spy on the box art, or have the old timey spy fight something besides hampster mutants?

I honestly don't think they put that much thought into the manual, box art or marketing. I like Infiltrate, and I like Apollo's games a lot but I think their thought process was "Will the name sell?" "Does the box art look good, so it will catch people's eye and they'll buy the game?" and "We need someone to slap together a manual real quick..." Could be wrong... Edited by BydoEmpire

I always dug that game back in the day. I looked at the enemies in Infiltrate as sort of the humanoid versions of the aliens in Space Cavern.

I thought on the enemies for awhile and finally realized how I would have seen them back when I was six. Having bought the game expecting assassins or whatever, I'm pretty sure I would have convinced myself (after thinking they looked like Fry kids, obviously) that they were supposed to be robot skulls. Like a red and blue stainless steel robot skull shooting death rays.

When I asked google for that image it gave me this, which works for me.

http://www.microbotic.org/Photos/Skulls/Skull-3.jpg

That's about what I think my six year old self would have imagined.

Well, I finally got around to checking this out. There's never enough time.

Here is a pic of the cartridge.

post-17556-0-25008900-1350765089_thumb.jpg

I did find at least one difference, but it is nothing as exciting as a Ronald McDonald or a Hamburglar sprite. Sorry for the let down. But rather the difference has to do with the "goal" of the game.

In the released version, it seems you get to the top, touch some small stick or "wall", and then a special tune plays, and the wall relocates to the bottom, and then you proceed to touch it there, and so on.

In the proto version I have, there is no "wall" in the game. Upon reaching the top, the special tune plays, and then again when you reach the bottom, etc. Same as the released version only again, there is nothing to touch once you get there.

Kind of strange I guess. Perhaps they added the wall in before release to give the game more of a "goal" or purpose. So I suppose this could be an earlier build of the game.

There is an eprom on the games board, and so if there is interest I can read it (dump it) and send the file to RomHunter for the AtariMania site where maybe someone here can play it more thoroughly and someone can also inspect the rom data for perhaps unused sprites and such.

My guess is that they are programmed with mind control similar to Project MKUltra and they look like that because they are wearing assassin costumes like ski masks.

LOL, maybe :D

I always just assumed they were robots because (a) they're "programmed" and (b) they don't look like humans at all but like androids, especially with the way the legs move up and down as they do. Also, they're apparently electrified as the manual says "Body contact with any of the assassins will destroy your agent as

effectively as their laser fire". Even a programmed human couldn't electocute you by touching him (I hope anyway)

I think the box art is just artistic license like all atari games.

EDIT - check this link at Atarimania - http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-infiltrate_7348.html

read the red "catalog" which appears to be earlier versions of the instructions perhaps? Anyway, it calls them "robot assassins"

Edited by AtariLeaf