IGNORED

Infiltrate supposed to be licenced game or something?

Atarifever

Hey,

For all I know this has been brought up here a million times, but was Infiltrate supposed to be a licenced game that got switched or something? Because, even for a 2600 game, this one has stuff in the manual and on the box bearing no, and I mean NO, resemblence to the game. The "assassins" are really cute, and don't look assassin-y. The guy looks like a cowboy. And the base looks like a rainbow. How this is a top secret base invasion against killers is beyond me, even by 2600 standards. It could just as easily have been a space cowboy trying to get off a UFO, or something much closer to the gameplay.

Again, I've been playing 2600 for over 25 years, so I'm used to the "use your imagination" thing. But Super Breakout could be in space. Those could be Dragons in Adventure. And PacMan just IS Pacman. This is a stretch even for those standards.

Looking at it, I thought (and I'm certain I'm not the first one) that this looks like someone was making a game for McDonalds and had the plug pulled. I mean, come on. That guy is the Hamburgler. Those are Fry kids. He is in a colourful McDonald's play land. He is stealing burgers. He's throwing paddies at them. Done. McDonald's game.

Yeah I dunno. I remember as a kid, not particularly liking the game. I was seriously disappointed after reading the back of the box and manual and then playing the game. You just run up and down trying to get a box that is as rainbow colored as the floors from what I recall. Also that the difficulty ramps up quickly. With cheap kills due to lightning fast "fry guys". I think it was just a crap made game that you could make up any story for you wanted to.

I was initially disappointed with the game when I bought it way back in the day, mostly because it's just the one screen that never changes. But I played it anyway, and found that I *kept* playing it. Yes, the difficulty ramps up, but that helps keep the one screen more challenging. I got to be pretty good at the game, meaning I could rack up a fairly respectable score before finally losing my last spare life, but I don't think I ever rolled the score.

According to the manual, the assassins are "programmed" so they're most likely supposed to be robots.

Robot hamsters maybe. And then, of course, the box shows a guy shooting at a guy. So they're either humanoid robots on the box but hamsters in the game, or the box really has nothing to do with anything. Again, I know this is par for the 2600 course in some ways, but I've seen no other games that stretch it so far with no reason to. There are a million other stories (many possibly involving infiltrations) that this game fits better than the box and manual fit this one. You could practically take the story from the manual from another game, a random box, and end up with a better fit.

Try it. It'll be like a forum game. Match a different box and manual story with infiltrate and see if it's a better fit.

Hey,

For all I know this has been brought up here a million times, but was Infiltrate supposed to be a licenced game that got switched or something? Because, even for a 2600 game, this one has stuff in the manual and on the box bearing no, and I mean NO, resemblence to the game. The "assassins" are really cute, and don't look assassin-y. The guy looks like a cowboy. And the base looks like a rainbow. How this is a top secret base invasion against killers is beyond me, even by 2600 standards. It could just as easily have been a space cowboy trying to get off a UFO, or something much closer to the gameplay.

Again, I've been playing 2600 for over 25 years, so I'm used to the "use your imagination" thing. But Super Breakout could be in space. Those could be Dragons in Adventure. And PacMan just IS Pacman. This is a stretch even for those standards.

Looking at it, I thought (and I'm certain I'm not the first one) that this looks like someone was making a game for McDonalds and had the plug pulled. I mean, come on. That guy is the Hamburgler. Those are Fry kids. He is in a colourful McDonald's play land. He is stealing burgers. He's throwing paddies at them. Done. McDonald's game.

Apart from the MacDonalds game Parker never finished wasn't there suppossed to be other MacDonald games planned. I am sure I read somewhere about a Hamburgular game being planned. Any one else know? ;)

I liked this game. It was weird and different, riding elevators up and down instead of the usual ladder climbing. Plus you have to steal things and shoot monsters/robots. What's not to like.

I personally like it quite a bit. I bought it back in 2004 I think, back when I started collecting. I used to go to the flea market every week and just buy whatever I could afford. At that point, I probably brought it home, played it one time, put a new cart in and forgot about it. The other day I put it in the 7800 for no real reason other than being bored, and it has been in there most of the time since. I didn't like it for the first few minutes, but before I knew it, I was "one more time"-ing it. It's a surprisingly addictive game for one that's so simple.

I just don't ever feel like an infiltrator battling assassins is all.

Hmm the latter could be Infiltrate? ;)

"And for kids of all ages - a fast-action game of skill, served up the McDonald's way!"

Fast action. Game of skill. Served up. McDonald's way (colourful and bright).

I'm telling you, that;s the hamburgler and fry kids guys. :)

For a fun "homebrew" project someone could add a McDonalds title screen and print up some boxes/manuals and labels to better fit the game?

For the record, I kind of like Infiltrate..I'll admit I never played it for more than a few minutes though so I don't know about it's lasting apeal for me...

One more oddity. The extra lives symbol is a hat. Now, I'm not saying that means it's the Hamburgller (although the extra lives hats are even closer than the cowboy hat he is wearing, and one of the first things you think about when someone says Hamburgler is his hat). However, he is clearly, clearly wearing a hat in the game. A cowboy number from the look of it. His extra life symbol is some kind of fedora thing. On the box: No hat. At all. Period. There's even a lot of detail in his hair. Also, the screenshot on the box has him looking hatless. Hats are so important in game they mark extra lives, while the guy on the box doesn't even have one. He may not even own one.

Did their art contract go to people who didn't have a 2600? Was the direction from Apollo simply "hey, we have a game. Please make a box. There's shooting."

One more oddity. The extra lives symbol is a hat. Now, I'm not saying that means it's the Hamburgller (although the extra lives hats are even closer than the cowboy hat he is wearing, and one of the first things you think about when someone says Hamburgler is his hat). However, he is clearly, clearly wearing a hat in the game. A cowboy number from the look of it. His extra life symbol is some kind of fedora thing. On the box: No hat. At all. Period. There's even a lot of detail in his hair. Also, the screenshot on the box has him looking hatless. Hats are so important in game they mark extra lives, while the guy on the box doesn't even have one. He may not even own one.

Did their art contract go to people who didn't have a 2600? Was the direction from Apollo simply "hey, we have a game. Please make a box. There's shooting."

Very well could have been drawn by someone who had never played or seen the game before.

Or Apollo was approached to make a hamburgular game or they came up with it themselves and for whatever reason the idea was canned or the cost of licensing got too high and they changed the name to something else. It happened with other games such as kung fu superkicks ;-)