IGNORED

SIO2PC/10502PC Dual USB - Second Run

atari8warez

Ah I wanted to save the last one for myself but i guess i will have to wait until the next run :) .... So you've got the last unit Louis...

I'll PM you the details...

Thank you for the interest...

And from this point on I am taking orders for the 3rd run, if there are enough orders (at least 5) i will start a new thread.

• Like 1

Hi, I have an Atari, 1050 & pc and would like to know the best way to connect the 2 up, what hardware & software i need. If its a Sip2pc then count me in for 1, thankyou.

Hi, with the device i am building and selling you can connect the Atari to the PC and use the PC as a storage device(like a large hard drive), or you can connect your 1050 drive to the PC and archive/copy your floppy disks to the PC or transfer atr files from the PC to 1050. So it functions as a SIO2PC with Atari+PC, or as a 10502PC with 1050+PC.

For SIO2PC functionality you can use AspeQt (free), or APE (need to pay to unlock all features). For 10502PC functionality you can use Prosystem (part of APE package, need to pay to use it at full speed)

So I suppose you're in for one then :-)

Thank you.

Yes it will work with PAL Ataris as well as NTSC. To create ATRs you would connect your 1050 to the PC with this device and use Prosystem software. To transfer XEX files from the PC to the Atari (and vice versa) or to run XEX files directly from the PC you would connect your Atari to the PC with this device and use AspeQt or APE software.

So in short this is the device you need for the tasks you mentioned.

Edited by atari8warez

This is the link to AspeQt and this is for APE+Prosystem, please note however the trial version of APE (3.0.2) will not support VCP (Virtual Com Port) - which my device and many other SIO2PC interfaces use - as it has a propriatery USB interface. Registered version (3.0.8 ) has added VCP support but I can not comment on its performance as I have never used it myself. On the other hand Prosystem software which is part of the APE package works with VCP and therefore with my device but unregistered version only works at 1xSIO speed and will not allow you to select the atari drive number, so your floppy drive must be set as D1:

As for the ordering info, I believe I already PMed you but I will double-check and send the info if I didn't already do so.

Ray

Edited by atari8warez

This is the link to AspeQt and this is for APE+Prosystem, please note however the trial version of APE (3.0.2) will not support VCP (Virtual Com Port) - which my device and many other SIO2PC interfaces use - as it has a propriatery USB interface. Registered version (3.0.8 ) has added VCP support but I can not comment on its performance as I have never used it myself. On the other hand Prosystem software which is part of the APE package works with VCP and therefore with my device but unregistered version only works at 1xSIO speed and will not allow you to select the atari drive number, so your floppy drive must be set as D1:

As for the ordering info, I believe I already PMed you but I will double-check and send the info if I didn't already do so.

Ray

Thankyou Atari8warez, I've made my purchase with you through paypal, so look forward to the delivery, again, thankyou for making such a device for the Atari and some of us die hards.

Thankyou Atari8warez, I've made my purchase with you through paypal, so look forward to the delivery, again, thankyou for making such a device for the Atari and some of us die hards.

Thank you for the purchase.... As a reminder to other purchasers the shipping for the 2nd run will start at the beginning of December pending the arrival of the PCBs

Edited by atari8warez

Update: The good news is I am back home and the PCBs arrived, the bad news is I was struck with food poisoning on the day of my return, and it was a very difficult 11 hours flight.... Thank god it's over and I already started to feel better, so hopefully i will start assembling the boards on Monday.

Edited by atari8warez

Thank you Jan.....

and here's the latest status. Please let me know if you see any errors or omissions in the list.

I will be shipping starting Wed Nov 21st in the order show in the status sheet.

Once again I thank you all who supported this project since its inception.

post-15627-0-73935700-1353256877_thumb.png

Edited by atari8warez

Something was bothering me for a long time, and that's the read/write speed disparity on my SIO2PC/10502PC device running under AspeQt. Tonight I was able to alleviate that somewhat and increase the overall performance of the device.

It turns out the default COM port parameter values on the FTDI chip are not the best values for maximum performance of the device under SIO peripheral emulation.

The FTDI Virtual Com Port is setup by default to use a READ/WRITE buffer length of 4096 bytes each and the latency timer is set to 64ms.

Changing these parameters to 128 bytes for READ/WRITE buffers, and 1ms for the latency not only reduces the disparity of READ/WRITE speeds dramatically but also increases the overall performance of the device by about 18%. Reducing latency also seems to improve the stability of speeds higher than 3 x SIO.

Default parameters are changed by right-clicking and selecting Properties/Advanced from the SIO2PC/10502PC Dual-VCP entry in the device manager under Ports in Windows.

And here's a table which illustrates RWTEST.COM results with the default and customized parameters, all tests were done running under Atari DOS 2.5 patched with Hias's high speed OS code. Note that how read/write speed differences were reduced (write speeds increased), percentages at the right of the columns show gains in the Average speed.

I highly recommend anyone who is regularly using the device to modify default parameters for better performance.

post-15627-0-88068500-1354071316_thumb.png

Edited by atari8warez
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

O canada, true patriot love in all thy sons command.....

I received mine today, envelope got butchered by the custom service, guess they felt kind if envy. Thank you, I will check it later when I am back home

Yeah, German customs officers aren't easily satisfied ;)

Edited by atari8warez