IGNORED

Series 1 Orphan Overlays or Spiker?

Dryfter

worth in what sense? In general I think spiker loose would be worth more. Since collectors want the original stuff. For me series one now is worth more since I have a spiker. But if your asking which would draw more money, I would say the spiker would.

The question is 'Is Rarity equivalent to worth', I think. I think Alan Cross summed it up best on a radio show about Record Collecting (that I must paraphrase because the transcripts are AWOL on his site) "You may have a one of a kind, 7 inch single, pressed on blue vinyl in Uruguay, that only survived because a worker smuggled it out before the pressing facility was shelled in a military coup... but if no one wants it, its worthless."

That being said, given the collectors here, Series 1 Orphan Overlays may be *worth* more, but in the whole stream of video game collecting, they may not be worth as much as a loose Spiker.

As another point of conjecture, cmart said this in another thread of yours:

Wow! Never saw this one either. Weird. That's too much for a Spiker with manual I'd say. Like you said, you should be able to get a Spiker for $300-400 in a normal auction.

And I have never seen Series 1 sell for that low a price. Mind you, I haven't looked into it in quite some time, so ymmv.

yeah it depends. I would say spiker carries more value for most people. My example are the orphan overlay auctions. Bob is selling his for 500, and its been there for a long time. and the other guy was selling his for 600. No one really pulled the trigger. a spiker come along and everyone is bidding and the sellers know it has value so they set the auction to private listing in order to hide secret id as well. So in general I guess the spiker carries more worth just bc of the demand. Orphan has a smaller market basically the more hardcore collector who wants everything intellivision like ads, kiosk, pencils, t shirts etc...

Do you have contact with Roger ?

iirc, he confirmed that here in the Inty forum... somewhere.

I have an email thread with Roger from when I bought the Overlays. I haven't been in contact with Roger in a long time (I don't think anyone has as he seems to have disappeared completely from the INTV scene).

yeah it depends. I would say spiker carries more value for most people. My example are the orphan overlay auctions. Bob is selling his for 500, and its been there for a long time. and the other guy was selling his for 600. No one really pulled the trigger. a spiker come along and everyone is bidding and the sellers know it has value so they set the auction to private listing in order to hide secret id as well. So in general I guess the spiker carries more worth just bc of the demand. Orphan has a smaller market basically the more hardcore collector who wants everything intellivision like ads, kiosk, pencils, t shirts etc...

Someone pulled the trigger at $650 although this has teh hidden game manuals (which I also have ;) )

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1809941623401?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=180994162340&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I have an email thread with Roger from when I bought the Overlays. I haven't been in contact with Roger in a long time (I don't think anyone has as he seems to have disappeared completely from the INTV scene).

Someone pulled the trigger at $650 although this has teh hidden game manuals (which I also have ;) )

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1809941623401?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=180994162340&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

that was me. but it was up for a while. Before I pulled the trigger.

Thank you for the information. I was in contact with him by email there are few years ago.. I will try to send him an email soon. We never know, he could answer.

I would rather have a set of Orphan Overlays for a few reasons:

1). I really love overlays!!!!!!!!

2). Spiker is probably easier to find, especially loose. I'm planning on eventually finding a loose copy, but I'm patient. I think I'd rather pick up some of the other games I'm missing first. Melody Blaster and Fathom are high on my list.

3). Still love those overlays :lust:

Tough question. I guess what Dryfter is really asking is "What would go for a higher amount at auction if they both started at $0.01? hmmm, As I've said before, I think a loose Spiker with manual should be between $300-400, although if $500 happened it wouldn't stun me.

As for the Series 1 in the small bag, you rarely ever see those available, rather you see the boxed Series 2 and 3 more commonly. To that end I could easily see $500 for that. It would be interesting to see that question play out with coinciding auctions. I'd buy popcorn for that. :)