IGNORED

Just how "RARE" is AvP??

Sauron

Just did a quick count on eBay for AvP, and found no less than 10 copies for sale. This is NOT including ones that are being sold in a bundle (of which there are several). Yet almost every auction had the word RARE in the title. Just because the game is in high demand does NOT make it rare. Any thoughts on this? (other than the obvious "every auction says RARE in the title")

Just did a quick count on eBay for AvP, and found no less than 10 copies for sale. This is NOT including ones that are being sold in a bundle (of which there are several). Yet almost every auction had the word RARE in the title. Just because the game is in high demand does NOT make it rare. Any thoughts on this? (other than the obvious "every auction says RARE in the title")

It's "rare" to find one that's not all beat up and has missing parts.

If you're referring to the game + box + overlays + etc, you're right. However, the cartridge itself appears to be quite common, as most of those auctions would indicate. This isn't a fluke, either; AvP is one of the most common carts to see up for sale on eBay. Also, wouldn't the fact that it was one of Atari's best-selling Jag games indicate that it's nowhere near being rare?

Hm, I would guess that AvP is one of the most common games next to Tempest 2000 and Cybermorph......

I could be wrong, but as i see it Tempest and AvP were the two games everybody with a Jaguar wanted to have and people without wanted to have a Jag because of this games...

I don´t think tha´t it´s rare.

It should have been Ataris killergame, they would have been stupid to produce fewer AvP catridges than other games....

On the other hand we have enough examples of Atari beeing stupid.... :roll:

so who knows...

Peter

I'd heard/read that AvP was Atari's most successful title, selling around 100,000 copies or so...why it is so expensive, I don't know, except that the dealers seem to set the going prices, which are reflected on E-bay, and the Dealers that have it for sale are price gouging. Personally, I think it's much more common than even games like Iron Soldier or T2K, which I see selling NEW for around $10-15 all the time, even in actual store-front game shops, not just on the net. Although, I do believe more people actually bought AvP, so there are less NEW copies to be had. It is true also that it is hard to find complete copies, and that are in good condition; my copy was well used, while the cart istself is in good condition, the manual is well worn and taped, and the overlays are well worn too, having some of the paint chipping off (which is something else that bugs me, AvP seems to be the only overlays that have a sort of "paint" on them that can be chipped-maybe Cybermorph too, the others don't chip or flake). My box was also well worn before I lost it, so even I don't have a complete copy, even in worn condition... :roll:

I think a big part of the price is due to two things... AvP is a really great game, and Jag AvP was I believe the first AvP game ever made, and even people who didnt own a jag or have any interest in it, knew the name long before the pc AvP's came out.

Also of course real Jag fans are very unlikely to sell it unless they have to.

Speaking as a " price gouger", you try finding a shrinkwrapped AvP in a warehouse or from another dealer without paying the odds. The price on my site reflects this.. if you can find me original shrink wrapped versions let me know please.

AvP is only RARE in that brand new copies are getting differcult to get hold of.

Real RARE games inc Aircars, Primal Rage cart/CD there are a couple more, which I can't remember at moment

Speaking as a " price gouger", you try finding a shrinkwrapped AvP in a warehouse or from another dealer without paying the odds. The price on my site reflects this.. if you can find me original shrink wrapped versions let me know please.

AvP is only RARE in that brand new copies are getting differcult to get hold of.

Real RARE games inc Aircars, Primal Rage cart/CD there are a couple more, which I can't remember at moment

Well, mister "price gouger," how about letting us know WHO you are and WHAT the name of your dealership is? I don't have a clue just by your name, it's not like I pay attention to who owns most dealerships...but somebody started the gouging, even if it wasn't you, because $50++ for AvP, even new, it ridiculous since it's 9 years old now...IMHO. :P But it might be nice to see what else you have to offer... :wink:

I think I mentioned in a thread some time ago that The Digital Centre, a store in Ontario, has copies of AvP for $15 CDN. Mine came new and shrinkwrapped; I think that remaining copies are used, but complete. Anyone who's interested can go to:

http://www.digitalcentre.com/

OK, I went to that site and looked through it and I didn't see anything anywhere for videogame systems&software, let alone the Jag&AvP...mind enlightening me on where to look for this stuff? :?

Opps sorry

Nick Harlow

16/32 Systems

http://www.1632-sales.zenwebhosting.com/acatalog/

http://www.1632systems.co.uk/

OK?

OBTW Godzilla, I said AvP was only rare as a new sealed product..I also agree plenty available second hand or through ebay. But as the wise man say... you pays your money, you take your choice....

Well, mister "price gouger," how about letting us know WHO you are and WHAT the name of your dealership is?

As his name suggests, he's Nick Harlow ;) Check the following link for his business, 16/32 Systems. (Not that the Jag should be in a site for 16/32-bit systems, but hey).

The SCART cables are especially good value, but only if you can get the full-shielded ones (these were made by Atari, not made on the cheap later with crap parts and no shielding). Just my £0.02 :)

Stone

Well, mister "price gouger," how about letting us know WHO you are and WHAT the name of your dealership is?

As his name suggests, he's Nick Harlow ;) Check the following link for his business, 16/32 Systems. (Not that the Jag should be in a site for 16/32-bit systems, but hey).

The SCART cables are especially good value, but only if you can get the full-shielded ones (these were made by Atari, not made on the cheap later with crap parts and no shielding). Just my £0.02 :)

Stone

Thanks for the link Stone...when I said "who are you," I meant besides just an unfamiliar name...never seen him post here before...

You have to click on the "used and consignment" items link on the home page. When this is done, an Atari link should appear at the very bottom of the page. Tony, the proprietor, has good stuff at cheap prices for the Lynx, Jaguar, and ST -- and he ships pretty quickly, too.

I'm beginning to be sorry that I opened up my shrinkwrapped copy of AvP, since I rarely play it. How "rare" do you think a shrinkwrapped 2 meg "Cybermorph" cart is?

Hi Peter... long time... what you been doing... I have attended a couple of German Shows since Neuss... but you not around!!

ciao

Nick

What other shows were in Germany, I was at every show in Neuss but I didn´t know that there was something else too.

You made me curious now...

Peter