IGNORED

Gamertag banned for life

Master Phruby

the people that tamper with system files and push the boundaries don't really take "no" very well. they keep abusing until stopped. Yeah, it sucks to have your access to things removed when you get your account banned. but if the only penalty to being banned is you have to get a new account, then no one would stop their behavior. at least Microsoft tells you why you lost your account and allows you to get another account.

other companies like Apple and Amazon do not tell you anything about why your account was suspended. It's totally at their discretion and unless you really push hard and frequently, they won't tell you anything. And even in that Amazon article, it says that if you Amazon account gets suspended, any attempt at a future account will also be suspended. Now that's extremely suppressive. To wear a scarlet letter for the rest of your life?

In a way, it's kind of like going to jail. You don't get to bring your iPad with you....

• Like 1

It's a good thing we never bought anything with that profile nor do we ever intend to.

Which makes me wonder how legal that is. How can a company take away a paid for item? That makes me never want to buy something that is stored in the cloud if the company can go out of business or take it away at will. I can see a denial of service but they should at least reimbuse you for products boughten or send the binaries to you in some form. If Atari had downloadable games back in the 80's we would no longer have the games we collect today.

I guess any digitial thing we buy on line is a license for use that can be voided at anytime.

It's totally legal if the possibility of "the service" going away is noted in TOS. And you can bet it is. TOS for cloud make no guarantees and make the company free of any liability for your data.

And yep, you do not "own" anything when it comes to renting stuff from the cloud, which is what all these online gaming things are anyway.

On the other hand, if a company makes a service it is also liable to provide support for that service, and deactivations without warnings and explanations is just wrong. They should not be able to reap the benefits of mass amounts of profit from mass amounts of consumers without providing mass amounts of customer supports.. Not this automated and canned email response crap. Heck, even their customer support fone flunkies follow scripts. Any deviation outside of that script is cause for harsh discipline and a pissed off customer.

Shit can splatter multiple ways when it hits the fan, on one hand you've got a company trying to run a service (for profit), and at the same time you have people abusing the service and using things it was never intended for. There is an endless supply of greedy corporations and aberrant users on both sides of the equation.

I feel (and you do too) that the absolute best way for a user to punish a company is to avoid making use of their service. This has one problem, there are too many uneducated sheeples that can't communicate with each other. They have no solidarity. Whereas a company can communicate with itself a hundred times better than users scattered worldwide. That isn't saying much, but you get the point.

But I do my part and tend to avoid a lot of these newfangled online rental services.

to call your games that you purchase a rental is not completely accurate. I can disconnect my 360 and still forever play the games I have purchased as long as my 360 works. Yes, if I ever have to redownload the game and my account was banned, I'm SOL. But it takes a lot to really get your account banned. People get away with a lot before any kind of punishment from Google, Apple, Microsoft, Sony, etc.

you still find people with modded Xbox's playing on Xbox Live. they'll even brag about it in their bio. they're that brazen about it.

I can disconnect my 360 and still forever play the games I have purchased as long as my 360 works.

Does that actually work for you? I know for a fact that I cannot play any of my downloaded games unless I'm authenticated online. Otherwise all I get access to is the demo.

Does that actually work for you? I know for a fact that I cannot play any of my downloaded games unless I'm authenticated online. Otherwise all I get access to is the demo.

If you bought and downloaded first to that console, that console is free and clear of any online condition. Any gamertag on that console can play the full game without any kind of account.

However, if you redownload the title to any other console, on that other console, only the owner of the download can play it and that owner needs to be logged into Xbox Live in order to play it.

However, if you redownload the title to any other console, on that other console, only the owner of the download can play it and that owner needs to be logged into Xbox Live in order to play it.

Unless you transfer the license to that console in which case full offline access is gained.

when downloading games on demand, DLC or Indie/Live games, the first location you download a piece of purchased content does get a the console license, allowing anyone on that console to play that content. Any downloads after the first (unless a license transfer is initiated online first on an unbanned gamertag) is only a gamertag license which DOES REQUIRE an active Xbox Live connection to authenticate to use content. The lifetime ban removes the ability to:

• A) Authenticate any "gamertag license" content from being used anymore, so in essence, that content is gone forever.
  • B) Prevents re-downloading of any content from a banned gamertag for use at any location. This however, does not prevent console-license download/dlc to be used, either offline or on another gametag on the same console ONLY

Now, simply abiding by the rules a user signed up for (you know, those things nobody reads), this wouldn't be an issue, but alas, folks don't...

PS - In that same TOS it clearly spells out if you break the TOS resulting in your gamertag getting banned for line (technically until 9999), that you agree that the content purchased would be forfeited.

Okay, getting off the soap box, back to your Madden, CoD, Skyrim, Borderlands II, or NBA2k13 game :)

All this, this online stuff, it sounds very complicated.

It's not...

Virtually all downloadable content on the Xbox 360 has two licenses that grant you access to it.

The first is the system license that the console that purchased the content recieves at the time of purchase. This allows any account on that console to access that piece of DLC offline or online. This license is transferable via the license transfer utility when you replace your console. And Microsoft will initiate a license transfer for you when necessary when going through them for repairs when major components of your console are replaced that would break your licenses or replacement hardware is sent.

The second license is an account license. The purchasing gamertag recieves this at the time of purchase. So when you're logged online with the purchasing account, you're able to access your content on any Xbox 360 connected to Xbox Live. This allows you to use your DLC on consoles that lack the system license (Such as a friend's console, if you have multiple Xbox 360's in your household, etc.). All you have to do is have your Xbox Live account logged into Xbox Live.

You just need one of the two licenses to be present in order to access your DLC. The account license allows online access on any console with that account and the system license allows offline or online access on the console that holds it.

How is that done? I'm certain that's my problem. My original 360 died (RRoD) and I bought another and simply swapped the HDD.

It used to be that you'd initiate it at XboxLive.com and then fire up your Xbox 360 and go to your download history. There, you'd redownload everything (Not as bad as it sounds since each thing you queue up will recognize that it's already present on your hard drive, will reassociate the license with that console, and move on to the next download in the queue; you don't actually redownload everything and the process only takes a couple of seconds for each piece of DLC). That would restore your licenses.

But it looks like it's even easier now and can done completely from your console with no PC required. Not familiar with the new process, but this link tells you how to initiate it and your console will lead you through the process. Hopefully the rather tedious task of going through your entire download history and selecting each piece of DLC to redownload has also been streamlined since that quickly becomes a pain when you have hundreds of items in it.

http://support.xbox....ownload-content

Edited by Atariboy

It used to be that you'd initiate it at XboxLive.com and then fire up your Xbox 360 and go to your download history. There, you'd redownload everything (Not as bad as it sounds since each thing you queue up will recognize that it's already present on your hard drive, will reassociate the license with that console, and move on to the next download in the queue; you don't actually redownload everything and the process only takes a couple of seconds for each piece of DLC). That would restore your licenses.

But it looks like it's even easier now and can done completely from your console with no PC required. Not familiar with the new process, but this link tells you how to initiate it and your console will lead you through the process. Hopefully the rather tedious task of going through your entire download history and selecting each piece of DLC to redownload has also been streamlined since that quickly becomes a pain when you have hundreds of items in it.

http://support.xbox....ownload-content

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Now I can finally disconnect my 360 from the internet!

From what I read when I was researching banned accounts (to see if they system ban xboxes with 3rd party drives) modding your avatar is the leading cause of bans, and fighting it doesn't end well.

I'm of two minds about it. It's an avatar, and if I want to be orange, why shouldn't I be? There's a horrible lack of variety in avatars--hope you like t-shirts and cargo shorts. The flip side of that is that microsoft currently has an easy and visible way to see if people are going to push past the rules without them ever having had harm any legitimate players online. That's pretty neat.

If they let people mod their avatars then people won't need to make a bunch of stupid microtransactions buying crap for their avatars.