IGNORED

Hover Force - 3-fscking-D!

DZ-Jay

I decided to spend the day playing Intellivision games, and while picking the roster of games for my Sunday line-up, I remembered that I have a couple of the 3-D glasses that Joe Z. had for sale at CG-Expo.

So, I just finished playing Hover Force in 3D, and I must say it's spectacular!

The 3-D effect is not perfect, but it is effective. What's more, within just a few minutes of play, the visual cues and the colour effects bring you even deeper into the game.

After playing for a while, I lifted the glasses from my eyes to see if I would notice anything amiss, and I did: the effect felt natural and immersive, so much so, that playing without the glasses felt a bit... well, flat.

I've always liked Hover Force; the game-play is solid, the sound effects are realistic, and the action is intense--plus it's very challenging. Notwithstanding all those good traits, playing it with the 3-D glasses, as it was originally intended, enhances the experience much more.

I wish there were other games that took advantage of the 3-D effect. Had this been available back in the 1980s, the Intellivision would have kicked a$$. Unfortunately, I also imagine Mattel Electronics releasing a bunch of cheap crap with the "3-D" moniker tacked on at the last minute, just to make a buck.

In any case, I say, home-brewers: let's get cracking with brand new 3-D games! The time has come to bring our little console out of its two-dimensional constraints! :)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

I also like Hover Force and I picked up 2 pair of the 3d glasses as well. I have yet to try them though...

I will make time this week :)

Some games thay could have worked well are:

Mission X

Star Strike

Sub Hunt

and of course Porker and Blackjack..... LOL

Oh, illusion/Diner

1980gamer

is it the regular hover force cartridge played with the glasses or is it a special game

Regular. The game was made by Mattel to be used with the Georgia-Tech 3-D glasses, but Mattel closed up shop before releasing. INTV Corporation could not afford fancy releases, so they released the game without the glasses, and with cheap assets.

So, if you get your hands on some 3-D glasses of this particular technology, the INTV Corp. game works great with them. :)

-dZ.

Although I'm set to sell out of this batch of 3-D glasses, I could easily order some more. If anyone develops a new 3-D game, they're inexpensive enough in volume to include a pair or two with each game.

And by anyone, you mean you, right? :)

Although I'm set to sell out of this batch of 3-D glasses, I could easily order some more. If anyone develops a new 3-D game, they're inexpensive enough in volume to include a pair or two with each game.

Let me know when you get some more. I somehow missed out on this, but I'd like to try it myself, and maybe even experiment with the 3D effect on other systems. I wonder how well it would work on the Aquarius ... :ponder:

Let me know when you get some more. I somehow missed out on this, but I'd like to try it myself, and maybe even experiment with the 3D effect on other systems. I wonder how well it would work on the Aquarius ... :ponder:

It should work on any system that can display relatively pure red, green and blue, along with some relatively de-saturated colors for neutral depth areas. The technology uses small prisms to deflect red, green and blue by different amounts. (Well, technically it spreads out the whole rainbow, but TVs only give you RGB to work with.) So you get red objects appearing nearer and blue objects appearing further away, and green in the middle.

Did you end up using the Crayola ones? I originally assumed that they were regular anaglyph glasses, but after reading some past threads it's seems like those wouldn't work. Do the ones you sold have a generic technical name? I'd like to read up on these.

It should work on any system that can display relatively pure red, green and blue, along with some relatively de-saturated colors for neutral depth areas. The technology uses small prisms to deflect red, green and blue by different amounts. (Well, technically it spreads out the whole rainbow, but TVs only give you RGB to work with.) So you get red objects appearing nearer and blue objects appearing further away, and green in the middle.

Plus, Black is neutral, so your eyes will use additional visual cues to give it depth based on context. In Hover Force, for instance, black represents the streets, so intuitively your mind places it below everything else in the background.

It's rather striking that it works so well with such cheap paper glasses.

-dZ.

Did you end up using the Crayola ones? I originally assumed that they were regular anaglyph glasses, but after reading some past threads it's seems like those wouldn't work. Do the ones you sold have a generic technical name? I'd like to read up on these.

It's the same technology as the Crayola glasses, but these are generic. I put a short description here. You can also look up "ChromaDepth".

EDIT:

They're not Chromadepth, are they?

Our posts crossed paths. They are.

Isn't that what the Science Center used for Dark Side of the Moon? :cool:

No idea. But they're definitely cool. :cool:

Edited by intvnut

Thanks for the info! I already have some ideas about how I can use this in some games I have in mind.

Oh, illusion/Diner

This is an aside, but where on earth are all you people finding Illusions for the Intellivision?! It seems as if everybody has it but me. I've tried checking all the standard ROM sources, but I haven't found it anywhere.