IGNORED

Hover Force - 3-fscking-D!

DZ-Jay

Does chromadepth not blend well? I noticed most chromadepth images tend to use solid colors so things look like viewmaster slides or 3D movies converted after the fact.

@intvnut: I respect that you'd consider INTV homebrewers first for the Chronodepth glasses. Would you consider releasing your source for those glasses? I'd like to try making some 3D 2600 games later.

Does chromadepth not blend well? I noticed most chromadepth images tend to use solid colors so things look like viewmaster slides or 3D movies converted after the fact.

It depends on how you're generating color, really. On a display (LCD or CRT), you tend to only have red, green and blue colors, mixed to varying degrees to make it look like other colors. For example, yellow on a CRT is composed of red and green. When the yellow light from the CRT hits the prisms in the ChromaDepth glasses, the red and green diverge, and now you have a yellow square with a green fringe on one side and a red fringe on the other. It doesn't really give you a way to put something at a distance between red and green.

That's in contrast to something that actually emits yellow light (say, hot coals in a fire, or the right sort of 'neon' light), in which case the yellow light will take on its own depth.

@intvnut: I respect that you'd consider INTV homebrewers first for the Chronodepth glasses. Would you consider releasing your source for those glasses? I'd like to try making some 3D 2600 games later.

PM sent.

Would the red lens/blue lens paper glasses Nintendo packaged with Rad Racer work? I already have those with my original Rad Racer.

Those won't work for Hover Force. The anaglyph 3-D used by Rad Racer works by producing images in two different colors (red and blue, usually) and using the red/blue lenses to filter the two images to your two eyes. Only red light goes to one eye and only blue light goes to the other eye. How near or far away something appears is a function of where it appears in both images, not what color it is. (In fact, anaglyph 3-D works best with black-and-white content.)

ChromaDepth works much differently. It uses prisms to split light apart just like it does in a rainbow, where red shifts less than green, which shifts less than blue. It orients the prisms in one eye one direction and the opposite direction in the other eye. All colors go to both eyes. The result is that red items look much closer, green items are in the middle and blue items are further away. Depth gets sorted by color.

Edited by intvnut

• 2 months later...