IGNORED

Just returning to the Atari World

SoulBuster

Hi everyone,

New to Atari Age, but not new to Atari's as you can see by my signature. Just thought I would introduce myself.

I am an IT Manager and have worked at the same place for 22 years.

I bought my first Atari in 1984 for $60. It was a 400 with 2 joysticks and a 410 program recorder. I was hooked and have been buying stuff ever since.

I spent hours/days on the system programming, playing and hacking until I met the love of my life and it all got packed away.

She had asked me several times why keep it? Someday I'll pull it all out again. Well it happened this week.

So now I am wondering what everyone is using. I did buy the MyIDE Rev 3 Cart a few years ago, but I still have a ton of stuff on my old RLL drives, just need to go down to Frys tomorrow and get a SCSI cable as I am sure I used it someplace else over the last 15 years.

Anyone still using RLL or MFM Drives?

I did not look to see what my drives were. Will have to look. I am using an Adaptec 4070 with 2 drives. There is 100 mb of space total, but I am unsure of what the drives are. They are half height drives and I put them in a Mountain drive case with the adaptec on top. I also have a loose full height drive that I can not find the manufactuers name on it. I am going to look for some drives for my second BB.

Then I am going to pull out the Multiplexer so all the comptuers have access to all the drives.

• 4 weeks later...

I know that I am new to this community and most of you do not know me but, I wanted to share some photos of my 8-bit desk, now that I finally have it the way I want it. All of the disk drives work but only two are actually hooked up. I thought it was a great way to store them. The rubber band around the R-Time 8 is to keep the case together. Not sure where I got it but the case was broken when I found it at the bottom of the proverbial junk pile that I bought. Still works though. The left PC case on top houses 2 Adaptec 4070 Controllers, 1 Teac 65 meg drive, 1 65 meg full height drive (still unsure of the manufacturer) and another 30-40 meg drive (never got around to identify it). The MiniScribe drive I bought on eBay was non-functioning. The PC case on the right is a windows XP system with the Ape software installed and houses all of my ATRs. The SIO to USB Dual is next to the Atari Hard Drive Case on top. I need to do something better with that. The Pics:

<br>

01-AtariFull.jpg

<br>

02-MonitorandXF551.jpg

<br>

03-Atari1050sBlackBox.jpg

<br>

04-PCMonitor.jpg

<br>

05-Cases.jpg

• Like 4

8-bits were meant for the tube, not the flat. So I totally agree. I got that 1702 for $5 in the 90s. You look at ebay now and how much stuff is going for, I'm glad I got it back then when peeps were 'getting rid of stuff'. The floppy board is missing, but as you can see by the risers on the right, this is the BB it came with. I have been unable to locate it. My second BB (you can see the power cable on the left of the one in the pic) that was my main went wonky. I push the button to go into Main Menu and it freezes. So I took 65C22 out of it and put it in this one. With the Floppy Board properly install you get the 65C22 from Floppy Board. I just cannot think of where it is. It is probably in the same place where me Mux is. Hope I did not leave em when I moved.

Edited by SoulBuster

Nice collection! It's a pity that any day now some or most of it will probably go up in smoke when you spill a whole load of beer over it!! Nice touch balancing the glass on a folded towel as well. I can imagine the sparks flying from the bare board behind the XE. I was taught at a computer club that it was standard procedure not to place ANY drinks containers on the same surface as a computer. You were supposed to either hold the drink in your hand or put in on the floor. I also heard this from other sources and have always stuck to it.

Anyway, what was it like owning an Atari 400? It was nearly my first computer and would probably have been a version with a replacement keyboard. Did yours have the original keyboard?

My 400 had the original keyboard. Back then I did not have anything else to compare it to, so it was the greatest. I later bought an xm301 modem and then a 1050 disk drive. Used those for awhile then move to the 130 XE and XF551 disk drive. A company here was selling an 800XL and an XF551 for 199.00. I told my friend that I would buy him a set, but that I would get the XF551 and I would give him my 1050. An that is how I got two of the drives. The beer was there only for the shot.

I know that I am new to this community and most of you do not know me but, I wanted to share some photos of my 8-bit desk, now that I finally have it the way I want it. All of the disk drives work but only two are actually hooked up. I thought it was a great way to store them. The rubber band around the R-Time 8 is to keep the case together. Not sure where I got it but the case was broken when I found it at the bottom of the proverbial junk pile that I bought. Still works though. The left PC case on top houses 2 Adaptec 4070 Controllers, 1 Teac 65 meg drive, 1 65 meg full height drive (still unsure of the manufacturer) and another 30-40 meg drive (never got around to identify it). The MiniScribe drive I bought on eBay was non-functioning. The PC case on the right is a windows XP system with the Ape software installed and houses all of my ATRs. The SIO to USB Dual is next to the Atari Hard Drive Case on top. I need to do something better with that. The Pics:

03-Atari1050sBlackBox.jpg

OMG, don't tell me you're a homebrewer too?

Love the setup. I need a desk for my things, right now everything is in the spare bedroom hooked up to a 50" projection screen TV.

No, not a home brewer, but it may happen in the future. I have a kegerator with a 1/2 barrel (Regular keg) of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in it. And no, you cannot have too many disk drives. 2 XF551s, no comment needed. 1 Super Archiver (anyone got a bit writer I can buy? Clone?). The rest are stock 1050s (cannot imagine what happened to the US Doubler Drive I had). I do want to get a couple of the Happy enhancements for a couple of these drive, but want to ask, 'Is this the most economical way to get true double density and high speed?'

Actually, I'm a home brewer (of alcohol, not custom self built computers) and I found some simple kits last year on eBay after searching and finding nothing that would save me any money. I thought this must be due to the government cracking down on home brewing and alcohol drinking in general These kits consist of nothing more than a vial or two of Champagne style yeast, a few plastic screw caps with a hold bored in the middle and a rubber barrier with a cross cut in the middle to line up with the hole, plus a sheet of instructions and recipes. The first one I bought was from Alaska and took 12 days to arrive at my address in London, while the ones I've bought since then are from London. I didn't think I should post a link, but just search eBay for "home brew caps" (without quotes). All you do is collect some 2L plastic bottles which when you bought contained an alcoholic or soft drink, wash them out, then take some fruit juice or some other liquid, add a very small amount of yeast, and a measured or weighed amount of sugar, pour this into the plastic bottle, then seal it with one of the special caps, and about 3-4 days later it's ready to drink. The number of days it takes before it's ready depends on how alcoholic you want it. You can drink it after two days if you're desperate to save money, but it may not be worth it at that stage.

Edited by SIO99