IGNORED

The NEW High Score Club 1.11 ~ Starmaster Game 4

Vocelli

@Deteacher --- only 130 stardates used; Very impressive

Do you still believe it's possible to save all 4 bases in this game?

What's different about the 800XL version of Star Raiders; is it just a less complicated controller set-up?

@Voc-- :rolling:

You'll get there. Still 3 days left.

@Deteacher --- only 130 stardates used; Very impressive

What's different about the 800XL version of Star Raiders; is it just a less complicated controller set-up?

@Voc-- :rolling:

You'll get there. Still 3 days left.

It's got to be possible to save it. I gave up on trying to save the bottom right starbase. I immediately start defending the top left and basically let them come to me. That saves on fuel consumption. As for combat, I wait for the enemy to fire the first shot. Once they do, I move them into the crosshairs and blast them away. I got a few lucky shots in and nailed a few enemies on the first shot. I forget how many times I docked in that game. I'm not done...I know there's room for improvement.

Patch!!!!! Yes, I'm breaking out the exclamation points for this one!

We have a saying in our IT shop that the impossible takes a little longer. Six days ago, I was sure this was impossible. And now, here we are. I'm still having a hard time believing it.

Spectacularly fun week. :) :) :)

post-26187-0-92339600-1354331084_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I really don't like this game, the play is boring and tedious. I also don't understand the scoring system either, how are you guys calling up that scoring screen? I thought I took a picture of what I needed to (died with only two fleets left to kill and one star base still active), but it's not what I see in this thread.

I really don't like this game, the play is boring and tedious. I also don't understand the scoring system either, how are you guys calling up that scoring screen? I thought I took a picture of what I needed to (died with only two fleets left to kill and one star base still active), but it's not what I see in this thread.

Switch back to the map screen when the game is over. Your game score is on the top line.

I docked once during this game.

Here are my tips for being a Starmaster:

Tactical Tips

Clear each sector as quickly as possible. This means that there is not time to wait for the enemy ship to get big before attacking.

If the enemy ship first appears close to your crosshairs, try to take it out immediately. If the enemy ship appears farther away from the crosshairs, move the enemy ship to the top or bottom of the screen (whichever is closer). When the enemy ship fires at you, move the bullet off the screen. Then attack the enemy ship.

A lot of times, the attack will have to be done with the enemy ship still the size of a pin. Its okay to use a barrage of two or three shots together. But don't use a machine gun approach. Fuel is too scarce for random shooting.

Take advantage of shooting the bullets fired from the enemy ship. This provides a couple of seconds of time to line up the enemy ship in the crosshairs. Also, there is more control for positioning the enemy ship in the crosshairs after shooting the enemy bullet. Sometimes the enemy ship is too far away to attack, but close enough for you to shoot the bullet and then move in for the attack.

The blue explosion is your friend. This means you shot the enemy bullet. The yellow screen is disaster. This means you've been shot. When that happens, move the enemy ship off of the top or bottom of the screen and regroup. Do not continue to fight while the screen is yellow.

I can't prove this, but it's my sense that the enemy ship does not have to be exactly on the point of the inverted V where your lasers come together. If any part of the inverted V is touching the enemy, it seems to be good enough for the kill.

Strategic Tips

I try to keep the bottom/right starbase alive as long as possible. I want to pull as many enemy squadrons as possible out of position for the rest of the game.

This is my attacking pattern when the game begins. Imagine the sectors around the bottom/right starbase like this:

1 2 3

4 5 6

7 8 9

with the starbase in sector 5.

I attack in this order:

2 again (it will have the squadron of one)

3 (the bottom/right starbase is usually destroyed during this battle.)

If you get hit and lose your radar, using this order will still get you to the correct sector to engage the battle (The enemy ships will be there, even though they can't be seen on the map screen.)

Next, dock for fuel. If I'm short on fuel (or my warp is damaged), I'll go to the top/right starbase. If I can make it (check the projected fuel usage before warping), I'll go the top/left starbase.

The rest of the game is played attacking the squadron that seems most threatening to the top/left starbase.

Most Important

Clear the sectors quickly while saving as much fuel as possible.

I had one game where there were only four sqadrons left when I docked for the first time.

Have fun. Go get your 9000. ;)

post-26187-0-85737200-1354456568_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scrabbler15
  • Like 2

After playing last weekend at level 4, I thought it would be impossible to complete the game and save any starbase. I ended up working my way through successive levels over the course of the week, improving incrementally each time. After a desperate, profanity infused session last night (lasers down again, %$!), I managed to save a least one starbase.

I may give it another go this afternoon now that some of the pressure it off, but for now I submit:

Score: 7,380

post-34643-0-75138000-1354464551_thumb.jpg

woah what a hard game. every time I had beat one group the other ones surronded my base. this one time I had one group left and one star base but the one I had left to shoot shot me and I lost my lasers and when I was one second till the starbase and he blew it up sky high. so I did not get that far that won't stop me the next time. On the bright side I was an awesome sharpshooter. :woozy: :jango:

post-33984-0-12394200-1354505481_thumb.jpg

Edited by gamerguy99

• 4 weeks later...

Sure it is (or "was" for me ;)).

:idea: From my old notes:

How to save all four bases in the StarMaster level of Starmaster

*** Strategy ***

When you watch the map screen, you'll see, that the enemy groups

are moving one by one towards the lower right starbase. The game

slowly iterates through the groups about every 1.5 energy units.

So you know exactly when a group wants to move.

There are some ways to stop a group from moving:

1. the next sector is occupied by another group/starbase

2. the player is in the current or next sector

3. the map cursor is in the current or next group sector

My trick is mainly based on 3.

Between attacking the groups i switch to the map, block the

movement of some groups and go on fighting.

*** Details ***

Map organisation:

- rows = a-f (top-down)

- columns = 1-6 (left-right)

(-> starbases at b2, b6, e5 and f2)

- X = destroy group

- num/num+1 = lower two energy-digits when to block with cursor

e6 start

c4 X

c6 80/81

c5 79

c3 76

c2 74/75

d5 70

e3 X

c6 26/27

c5 25

c3 23

c2 21/22

f6 X

f5 X

e6 X

f6 X

e6 X

d4 X

e5 dock

f6 X

e6 X

f1 X

As you will soon notice, you have to be veeery skilled to do so.

You have to kill 21 enemies before you dock first, you will need

2100 units for warp, so you should need not more than three

shots/enemy. And you have to be fast!

You also have a chance to dock after destroying the group at e3:

- fly to e5

- block at 26/27..21/22

- dock

- continue with f6

If you can avoid the second docking, this way is a bit faster.

I think I posted that before.

BTW: If you manage to save all bases in Starmaster level, the score will roll over.

• Like 3