IGNORED

Deep Pockets

Rev

1. Purchase multiple copies of game that was released secretly. It helps if you're friends with producer.

2. Hype the game by spreading rumors of its secret release and exclusivity.

3. Wait for rumors of release and its scarcity to be confirmed.

4. Thank the producer for being so gracious by providing such quality games to the (private) club community.

5. Gouge the public by selling your surplus copies in eBay, while the buzz of its exclusivity is still hot.

6. Repeat every few weeks until stock depletes.

7. Profit!

1. Purchase multiple copies of game that was released secretly. It helps if you're friends with producer.

4. Thank the producer for being so gracious by providing such quality games to the (private) club community.

5. Gouge the public by selling your surplus copies in eBay, while the buzz of its exclusivity is still hot.

7. Profit!

kind of like those mysterious 50 copies of Robot Rubble that are rumored to be stockpiled somewhere...although I don't think we've yet to see that many make it to ebay.

7. Profit!

8. Make enough copies for everyone since there seems to be demand and there's more people in the Intellivision community now than there ever was. People want the games, they are begging for them. I'm not including myself since i'm always broke and a cheapskate. ;-)

7. Profit!

Hi, DZ-Jay,

I don't want to get into a back-and-forth thing, and I'll ask that if anyone wishes to discuss it with me privately, please send me a PM as I've never been a fan of dissing anyone publicly (nor do I like being the recipient of it, of course!). But I'll reply to your first four points.

1. I sent the money to purchase the extra games. I'm not the only one who did it, I just happen to be one who counts David as a friend (albeit a long-distance one). I've seen some people selling multiple copies of David's game on eBay over the last year or two...copies that were still available for purchase at the time at the original price, yet they were selling them for a lot more in auction. Given that I had the opportunity to buy more than one copy (as did many of David's loyal customers) and given that the hobby has been taking a big financial bite of late, I considered doing that with his recent games, but my friendship with him made me very reluctant to do so. I wrote to David and asked him how he felt about these sellers who were reselling their spare copies on eBay, because I didn't want to even consider something that might rub him the wrong way. He e-mailed back with a reply similar to the one he wrote earlier in this thread...that he didn't have a problem with someone reselling spare copies to defray some of the expenses of the hobby. He noted that there were others purchasing extras too and, as a friend, he encouraged me to get over my reluctance and take the opportunity while I could. After a lot of vacillation, I bought the extras. After receiving them, I almost considered keeping them...I have more than one of many things in my collection, and it's that whole "OCD" thing I mentioned earlier...but I saw people in this thread talking about having missed the opportunity, I was encouraged to let these go to people who wouldn't have had access to them otherwise, and so I decided to get the games out to new homes now.

2 & 3. Me, I haven't hyped anything. David, he is a bundle of enthusiasm for this hobby...if he hyped anything, it was out of love and excitement.

4. This one is so dang cynical, man, and just totally off. Several other people have complimented David on this thread, too, and I would much prefer to be publicly saying nice things about other people than to be doing otherwise (and I've done so with other game producers, too). In David's case, I have so much respect for the man as a gamer, a producer and a person, and, as this thread already contained positive comments toward him, I was absolutely compelled to join in and give him his due props as well. I think everybody who has purchased any of his games or has ever met him should seize the opportunity to do likewise.

I didn't intend to start an argument, and I won't post again on the subject.

I was pointing out that it seems opportunistic to sell a game that was released to a select few, immediately after at a substantial premium.

That the game was originally a gift, and that you praise David on the same post where you are a taking advantage of the opportunity, just makes the irony more delicious.

It's just my observation.

Cynical? Perhaps.

dZ.