IGNORED

Where to find that game?

yodafan

Hello guys,

A Friend suggested me to subscribe this forums as there are lot colecovision expert here.

I'm a great fan and huge collector of Star wars stuff including video games.

While looking video on youtube, i found that video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6asEANQh3xc&feature=youtu.be

But i never saw that version to sell. I have the IntTV and VCS version but i can not find that one.

Where could i find that game.?

Thanks

Yodafan

• Like 1

This game, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, was never released for the ColecoVision and actually I have never seen any information that Parker Brothers was planning a ColecoVision release. I guess I'll have to revisit some of the Parker Brothers catalogs and ads to see if I missed mention of it.

While Coleco did help Parker Brothers with some of their games, it's odd to see the "Your Vision is our Vision... ColecoVision" ending seeing as this is from a Coleco T.V. commercial and I wouldn't expect to see it in a Parker Brothers commercial... but you never know.

Edited by NIAD

Yes, the strange thing is that the graphics do look like something on Colecovision. Definitely not the 2600 or INTV graphics in that video. So, someone must have programmed at least a working demo on some other system. Maybe there is an unfinished CV proto that will surface some day. Hmmm...

Agreed. Was there an A8 release or proto of ESB?

The Atari A8 release does not look at all like that one.

But seing the video , i found the scrolling seems a little bit too smooth for a coleco, imho. Ok we don't see too much on these videos , but that's strange. Never heard of that version before.

While reading my old magazines, I came across this advert of Micromania, a French store.

I noticed that Starwars 2 was in the list of ColecoVision games.

It is mentioned that some of the games in the list are not yet available but that they will soon…

I was looking for a date but didn't see one on the page. Just wondering since if the magazine is early enough in Colecovision history then it is possible coding started if it is not one of those vapor wares like in their catalog.

It explains why i don't find it. Thanks a lot for your answer.

But it is strange that this kind of video exists. It is like if the game really existed. :?

Seeing as Star Wars is a humongous name in and of itself, it is a little odd that Parker Brothers would make a commercial for what would be a hugely popular ColecoVision title and not have any information about it released in catalogs, printed Ads, press releases, etc. A T.V. commercial is a very expensive venture and you would also think that there would be more gameplay video than just the one scene battling the Walker.

Fun stuff!

Edited by NIAD

The controller the kid was using in the second video link posted by PixelBoy looks like the stock VCS controller, but it is hard to tell completely. So looks like what you see of the game is a non-playabale demo... Coleco was good at this stuff so I'm sure they passed on their magic to Parker Brothers.

Watch the video again guys. That video is made up of three different sources. The clip with the game graphics is to clear to be part of the first section of the video or the last. Can the Colecovision do parallax scrolling? If that is truly a ColecoVision version of the game, then someone is teasing Coleco fans with their homebrew game. Just my 2 cents.

Watch the video again guys. That video is made up of three different sources. The clip with the game graphics is to clear to be part of the first section of the video or the last. Can the Colecovision do parallax scrolling? If that is truly a ColecoVision version of the game, then someone is teasing Coleco fans with their homebrew game. Just my 2 cents.

Indeed, the cut together video does raise a red flag and the thought has crossed my mind already about this being a current Homebrew project... it's just more fun to discuss the possibilities of this being something from the 80's that was never released and could be another one of those "Holy Grails" that has yet to be discovered. If you look at the game being played on the TV (looks like the VCS version), it definetely isn't the same as the close up and clear as day video cut scene.

As far as parallax scrolling, all you have to do is look at Moon Patrol and the soon to be released Team PixelBoy/Oscar Toledo Guitierrez game Princess Quest for examples. I guess those would count as parallax scrolling.

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 1

If you look closely at the second Youtube video (linked by PixelBoy) when the show the kid playing the game, the image on the TV looks like the Atari VCS version and the controller looks like a VCS controller.... that's all. When the video switches to full screen, it definetely is not the same, but vastly improved.

As Retroillucid has mentioned, someone is currently working on this game and the cut scenes from the videos are probably just a teaser... and a very good teaser at that.