IGNORED

Tube TV recommendation?

jasonbar

Nice. I don't seem to have an option for component. Do you set yours to component through the menu? Please describe, in case I've overlooked that feature on mine.

Thanks,

-Jason

It doesn't look like yours has that feature for whatever reason...you can see the component is labelled on the back of the 1954Q:

2714FIN.jpg

• Like 1

I went with one of these recently:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-WEGA-KV-27FS13-27-Flat-Screen/dp/B00005T3DP

It is heavy, for sure! The thing is in pretty immaculate shape (my old Samsung had an annoying scratch on the glass tube, not very noticeable on all games but not pretty) other than the worn-off silver paint they put on the on/off vol/ch buttons on top. I'm currently trying to figure out if I can adjust the overall picture height to accomodate all games...well, the games not so much, mainly it's the menus when using my NES powerpak: the tops are cut off of the letters. There's a little bit of wiggle to some games, but the colours are nice and bright and I can choose between three modes for resolution.

Even though it doesn't say Wega on it, it's a Wega...after reading some of you had issues with these Wega flatscreens I thought I might reconsider but this one was just in too good shape to pass up. It's a 2002 model and apparently the owners didn't use it for much other than gaming and videos, lol...and got into the HD tv stuff quickly.

For 35$, it's a bit pricier than what others are out there but I think it's money well spent! I hope it works for a looooooooooooooong time!

I went with one of these recently:

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B00005T3DP

after reading some of you had issues with these Wega flatscreens I thought I might reconsider but this one was just in too good shape to pass up.

For 35$, it's a bit pricier than what others are out there but I think it's money well spent! I hope it works for a looooooooooooooong time!

That's a great deal, for one that's NICE. I don't want a beat-up one junking-up my room, even if it's free. Many of these heavy things were bashed/scratched by careless people moving them, so it's increasingly rare to find a mint one. That's a great TV. I've never had any issues with my Trinitrons or WEGAs.

I think the NES PowerPak cuts off part of the menu screen on just about every TV. I don't think there's an adjustment on the TV (at least at the consumer level) for that; I think the PowerPak is the problem. I haven't used mine in so long I can't remember, but I seem to remember seeing it.

That's a great deal, for one that's NICE. I don't want a beat-up one junking-up my room, even if it's free. Many of these heavy things were bashed/scratched by careless people moving them, so it's increasingly rare to find a mint one. That's a great TV. I've never had any issues with my Trinitrons or WEGAs.

I think the NES PowerPak cuts off part of the menu screen on just about every TV. I don't think there's an adjustment on the TV (at least at the consumer level) for that; I think the PowerPak is the problem. I haven't used mine in so long I can't remember, but I seem to remember seeing it.

Actually, come to think of it, that menu was cut-off on my other tube tv as well! It's only my modern LCD tv that doesn't do that. Odd! Oh well...I'm diggin' the tv, but with the resolution set to high, I can't sit very close to the screen or else it doesn't quite look right. I'm pretty pleased so far!

Your LCD doesn't have as much overscan (Or perhaps none) as your CRT's.

Good programming should take a typical amount of overscan into account on a classic system but the PowerPak's menu doesn't. It happens on my Trinitron as well and this is far from the first time I've noticed other PowerPak owner's noticing it as well.

• Like 1

Got the NES I bought all hooked up. I just used composite since that's as high as the nes natively goes, and I hooked up the sound directly to the monitor since NES is mono anyway. Looks good, better than when I was using the retro duo on my flatscreen. Don't have any other 8 or 16 bit stuff to compare it to yet since the SNES I ordered hasn't gotten here yet (I decided to ditch the retro duo for the real things), and while I did get in the snes and genesis scart cables, the dude sent me the wrong genesis cable! He sent me the one for the model 1 when I bought the cable for the model 2! (I have a jvc x'eye) so that was really frustrating.