IGNORED

Tube TV recommendation?

jasonbar

Also is there a popular opinion on the cut-off point for systems looking significantly better on CRT vs. LCD/LED? I was planning on using all 16-bit and earlier systems with CRT, but are Jaguar, Saturn, through PS2-era systems going to look significantly better on CRT? I have s-video for my jag, component for ps2, etc.

I have my PS2 and up on a 16:9 LED and Dreamcast and down on a 4:3 HD CRT. I did it for aspect ratio even though not all PS2,GC,Xbox games are widescreen and some N64 and Dreamcast games are.

The Dreamcast having 4 times the resolution of the average Playstation 2 game doesn't sound correct to me.

I would think that would place the Dreamcast well into HD territory since the average PS2 game is 640 × 480.

Edited by Atariboy

The Dreamcast having 4 times the resolution of the average Playstation 2 game doesn't sound correct to me.

I would think that would place the Dreamcast well into HD territory since the average PS2 game is 640 × 480.

Average PS2 game is 320x200 or so. Looks like butt. DC is 640x480. Double the vertical res, double the horizontal res.

Average PS2 game is 320x200 or so. Looks like butt. DC is 640x480. Double the vertical res, double the horizontal res.

Perhaps, but the DC doesn't render in 640x480 unless you use the VGA adapter and a game that supports that resolution (although almost all of them do).

Even in interlaced mode, wouldn't the Dreamcast be putting out 640x480? Just instead of every line of resolution every frame, you're just getting every other line and they alternate.

Average PS2 game is 320x200 or so. Looks like butt. DC isThe King of Fighters 2000/2001. Double the vertical res, double the horizontal res.

Really?

I know there's the occasional lower resolution PS2 release like Ico, but I thought most releases were 640x480. For instance I thought that was why many of the classic gaming compilations on the PS2 (And Xbox) would be criticized since they were displaying low resolution content at a higher resolution which was introducing issues (Unlike several collections on the GameCube like Sonic Mega Collection that would output the games at their original resolutions).

what about ps1 games? are there any negatives to playing them on ps2 or ps3? Recently I've switched to playing them on ps3 because I can just keep creating memory cards instead of having to use real ones. Obviously have ps3 hooked up to an lcd via hdmi

Edited by kid_vidiot

Holy crap, I just won the PVM I mentioned earlier for under $20! Check it out:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1709698597801?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=170969859780&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I wish I could have got a bigger one, but this'll be a nice one to start out with. I probably don't have room in my apartment for a 20" model anyway, since I'll likely have to set it on a bookcase or something in my bedroom area to be able to use it.

what about ps1 games? are there any negatives to playing them on ps2 or ps3? Recently I've switched to playing them on ps3 because I can just keep creating memory cards instead of having to use real ones. Obviously have ps3 hooked up to an lcd via hdmi

Figured someone else would chime in but I guess not. You have the occasional compatibility issue playing original Playstation games on both. And while it seems fine to me, there's no shortage of criticism of the quality of the upscaling with the PS3's emulator. And I'm skeptical if things like the Playstation track-ball will work on the PS3 even with the controller adapter.

One annoyance I found is always having to enable the analog sticks on the PS3. I wish the emulator was able to recognize which games used twin sticks or least remember the setting you selected. I don't know why there even had to be a mode button in the first place since all it has been is a hassle for 15 years now. And probably the majority of software likely to be played today was Dual Shock compatible so it should be defaulting to on instead of off.

I've also had trouble with my original slim PS2 not recognizing official Playstation memory cards but I don't know if it was a widespread problem. It reads official PS2 memory cards just fine so the memory card ports are fine I would think. It just doesn't work with my Playstation memory cards despite them being 1st party cards.

Edited by Atariboy

One annoyance I found is always having to enable the analog sticks on the PS3. I wish the emulator was able to recognize which games used twin sticks or least remember the setting you selected. I don't know why there even had to be a mode button in the first place since all it has been is a hassle for 15 years now. And probably the majority of software likely to be played today was Dual Shock compatible so it should be defaulting to on instead of off.

Yeah I'm dealing with that now as I'm currently playing the first Croc and have to switch to analog every time I start. On a somewhat-related note back during the ps1's original run I had a madcatz dual analog stick that would allow you to use both sticks even when the games didn't support them, so for example I could play Project Overkill with the two sticks like Robotron as it would map the buttons to the right stick. I lost that controller long ago and haven't been able to find another...

Ahh this thing is awesome!

Yours is different from mine. More buttons on the front & rack-mount handles. Looks nice from your pic. Score! Which model is it?

I'm halfway done getting a pair of Harman/Kardon PC speakers hard-mounted to the case (with wires & wall wart hidden within the monitor housing), and I picked up some used (but in decent condition) Centipede side art today with which I will try to skin the top/right/bottom sides.

I tried out composite input with my SMS today. The banding that showed with S-Video wasn't there with composite. Good deal. I'll soon have the bits needed to try out RGB. Can't wait!

Thanks,

-Jason

PS--here's a fun thread on the Sony PVM: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?238415-CRT-Fetish-Thread

Edited by jasonbar

Yours is different from mine. More buttons on the front & rack-mount handles. Looks nice from your pic. Score! Which model is it?

I'm halfway done getting a pair of Harman/Kardon PC speakers hard-mounted to the case (with wires & wall wart hidden within the monitor housing), and I picked up some used (but in decent condition) Centipede side art today with which I will try to skin the top/right/bottom sides.

I tried out composite input with my SMS today. The banding that showed with S-Video wasn't there with composite. Good deal. I'll soon have the bits needed to try out RGB. Can't wait!

Yeah mine is the 1954Q, an inch smaller than yours I guess. I ordered some pc speakers from amazon but wasn't planning on trying to mount them to the monitor or anything...although hiding wires within the monitor housing sounds interesting.

I've only hooked up my jaguar with s-video and it looks great. I'm waiting on rca to bnc adapters to see how composite and component look, and then I have scart cables ordered for snes and genesis/scd, and a scart to bnc adapter cable. Then I'll just need to get my duo rgb modded and I'll be set

I know there's the occasional lower resolution PS2 release like Ico, but I thought most releases were 640x480.

I thought pretty much the same thing. 320 x 200 sounds pretty low, for this generation. Hell, the thing would even do 1080i on a couple of titles, although it involved "tricks," the details of which are likely beyond my technical understanding.

I picked up my PVM today. The picture is insanely sharp! I don't have any BNC adapters at the moment, so all I can hook up is S-Video, but S-Video on this looks much, much better than S-Video on my FD Trinitron did. I can't comment on the Toshiba TV I'm using now, as I haven't tried using S-Video with it yet, but I'm sure it would still look better on this PVM. I definitely want to be on the lookout for a larger model now, but I probably shouldn't try to buy one until I'm moved into a place with more space.

I thought pretty much the same thing. 320 x 200 sounds pretty low, for this generation. Hell, the thing would even do 1080i on a couple of titles, although it involved "tricks," the details of which are likely beyond my technical understanding.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I remember reading that the PS2 renders its games at 640x480, although with the display in interlaced mode, I think it ends up looking lower resolution than that. I thought you could set it to progressive scan via component if your TV could take the output, though. Mine can't, so I've never tried.

Figured someone else would chime in but I guess not. You have the occasional compatibility issue playing original Playstation games on both. And while it seems fine to me, there's no shortage of criticism of the quality of the upscaling with the PS3's emulator. And I'm skeptical if things like the Playstation track-ball will work on the PS3 even with the controller adapter.

So today I discovered when trying to play Alien Resurrection that the PS3 adds game-breaking glitches to it, among other things. Basically there are several "door glitches" that don't let you enter doors even after you deactivate them with security keys. I'm starting to read about other emulation problems too, like really messed up sound in Alien Trilogy.

It looks like I'm going to go back to playing them on PS2...I'll just have to stock up on some memory cards.

So today I discovered when trying to play Alien Resurrection that the PS3 adds game-breaking glitches to it, among other things. Basically there are several "door glitches" that don't let you enter doors even after you deactivate them with security keys. I'm starting to read about other emulation problems too, like really messed up sound in Alien Trilogy.

It looks like I'm going to go back to playing them on PS2...I'll just have to stock up on some memory cards.

The Playstation 2 also doesn't have perfect compatibility. Off hand I recall that several of the Digital Eclipse compilations had issues for an example.

Added powered speakers, ran all speaker wires inside the monitor case, skinned the case with used Centipede sideart (thanks to Fly from the KLOV forum!), added stereo RCA audio input jacks to the back panel, & am gaming! Still working on getting the RGB to work.

http://s242.beta.photobucket.com/user/infernolab/library/Sony_PVM-20N2U

Thanks,

-Jason

Added powered speakers, ran all speaker wires inside the monitor case, skinned the case with used Centipede sideart (thanks to Fly from the KLOV forum!), added stereo RCA audio input jacks to the back panel, & am gaming! Still working on getting the RGB to work.

http://s242.beta.pho.../Sony_PVM-20N2U

Thanks,

-Jason

Looks nice...love the centipede art lol.

Parts for mine are slowly trickling in too. I got some logitech speakers for it that I have one each side, not mounted. Then I just got a 3.5mm to RCA adapter which I'll still the console's audio plugs into. Mine lets you switch between RGB and component on the RGB input so I hooked my PS2 up through component and it looked great. I got my scart to bnc cable in the mail, but am still waiting for genesis, snes, and jaguar scart cables...then I will be able to see the true RGB glory. Other than that I'll have N64 hooked up via s-video and NES via composite.