IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2013 (Season 6)

Nintendo Famicom:

City Connection - 5 min.
Door Door - 9 min.
Duck - 7 min.
Flipull - 7 min.
Flying Hero - 5 min.
Magic Jewelry - 36 min.
Urusei Yatsura: Lum no Wedding Bell - 15 min.
Xevious - 8 min.

This week I spent all my retro gaming on the Nintendo Famicom, a feat that I would have thought unthinkable just a year ago!

I almost feel like I'm cheating on my "Commodore wife" but I'll make up for it some other week.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

Atari 2600

G.I. Joe - Cobra Strike: 136 min

Outlaw: 3 min

Smurf: 5 min

Super Breakout: 89 min

C64

Kaiser: 40 min

An absolute blast for me in the HSC - Cobra Strike was my suggestion before the season. I suck at it, especially with mouse control, but damn, it's a fun game. The current week features Super Breakout. Atarian7 - Paddle Master, you interested?

The 3 minutes of Outlaw were again played right in the current special exhibition of the museum where I work. A museum of Nature with a working Atari console installed. How cool is that? I played the game to test one of the joysticks - which had a bad wire that I was able to repair.

• Like 1

Here are my times for this past week (October 21st through 27th)...

Arcade:

Marble Madness - 17 min.

Commodore 64:

Gyroscope - 8 min.

Memotech MTX-512:

Marbles - 10 min.

Obloids - 41 min.

Online (non-eligible):

Google parachute minigame - 2 min.

Soccer Stars - 5 min.

TI-99:

Diablo - 77 min.

Well, what's up today? Marbles, marbles and more marbles...

First, I played the arcade original of Marble Madness after having worked on TI-99 adaptions of the first three mazes of that game last week.

Then I tried "Gyroscope" which is a Marble Madness clone on the C-64 which appeared before the official conversion back in 1986.

Then I discovered a forum thread about games that should be ported to the TI-99 here on Atariage where I posted that I would like to see Marble Madness on the TI-99. Someone replied that the game "Diablo" on the TI-99 would be a distant match to Marble Madness, so I checked that out. But there's not much similarity other than in both games there's a marble. In Diablo, a marble rolls over a playfield similar to "Loco-Motion" (Konami), and also similar to that you have to shift around the tiles so that the marble finds more tiles to roll on. However, in this game all tiles that have been rolled on disappear, but only the tracks that have been used (there's usually two tracks on each tile which sometimes cross each other). So as the game progresses, there are fewer and fewer tiles remaining you can choose from. You have only one life which is lost when the marble hits a tile without a track continuation, or the border before it turns green, which happens after a number of successful tile crossings. The game is pretty slow because it's coded in Extended Basic, so I thought a faster version of it would be great. Turned out it wasn't far away...

In some thread I read about Colecovision conversions, there was a poster with an interesting avatar, a screenshot of a game with curved ways and meadows in between. I wanted to know more about that game, and the poster seems to be involed in the Memotech MTX-512 scene, so I figured it might be a game on that system. Sifting through some games for it, I found it, but didn't play it because it was described as a Minesweeper clone. However, I found two other interesting games for the MTX-512...

Obloids is a maze game where you wander on a grid of 3x3 screens which (similar to Diablo) consist of tiles which, this time, can't be shifted around, but can be turned. And only when they are turned right there's a passage to an adjacent tile. And you can only turn the tile you stand on. The others turn by themselves, randomly. You have to pick up some sort of a scroll and then touch a tile adjacent to the outer wall... and then repeat. You can shoot at the enemies with a boomerang-type ball similar to that in Mr. Do. Pretty funny game, though a bit chaotic.

Marbles (on the MTX-512) actually is the faster version of Diablo I was looking for, but it is a bit different. In Diablo, on tiles that form a cross, there's an upper and a lower path, and the marble is also able to go on the lower path, disappearing behind the "bridge" and reappearing on the other side. In "Marbles", however, only the upper path can be traversed, whereas if the marble tries to go on the hidden path, it gets killed. On the other hand, you have 10 marbles, and after racking up a certain number of points (about 76 tiles crossed) you get a new screen, as you do if you lose a marble. This version also has got a somewhat annoying music playing in the background.

Finally, for the non-eligible online games, I tried the mini-game that was offered by Google some days ago where you can control a parachuter left or right in order to influence where he lands. Another online game I tried is Soccer Stars, a football simulation much like "International Soccer" on the Commodore 64, but with better graphics. I tried that because I also attempted to do a horizontally scrolling map for a soccer game (in Magellan), but it's unfinished as of yet (see picture). And I watched videos of some soccer games on the Amstrad CPC, some of which are painfully slow (e.g. Match Day and Match Day II).

post-8393-0-71862300-1382911091_thumb.png

• Like 2

Nintendo Famicom:

Duck - 7 min.

This piqued my curiosity (I was wondering if it was just a typo for the "why-can't-I-shoot-that-dog" game), and it turns out to be an unlicensed port of Doki Doki Penguin Land, and perhaps the second unlicensed game ever made for the Famicom. Who knew?

• Like 1

My times for the week:

NES:
Famicom Yakyuu Han - 4 min.
Genesis:
Arcade Classics - 5 min.
The Last Action Hero - 15 min.
Pink Goes to Hollywood - 16 min.
Pro Quarterback - 46 min.
RBI Baseball 3 - 2 min.
RBI Baseball 4 - 183 min.
Todd's Adventures in Slime World - 753 min.
Beat the bare-bones football title Pro Quarterback and the almost willfully aggravating puzzle-platformer Todd's Adventures in Slime World. In the former I beat Cleveland 12-0 with New England on my third attempt -- you only play one game, and that's it! -- and in the latter I beat all six Adventures, including the arduous Logic and controller-throwing Arcade levels.
Otherwise, a few more games in RBI Baseball 4, a few tryouts of unfamiliar (and mostly terrible) games, and that's about it. Todd's got most of my attention this week, as you can see...that game has a severe case of screw-you-itis, but it was satisfying to beat it.
  • Like 2

Bingo for thegoldenband! Courtesy of a dubious multicart, one finds the most obscure titles on some of those. What I rarely see though are Nintendo's own blockbusters, whether those are harder to duplicate or the multicart manufacturers having so much respect/fear that they avoid titles such as SMB, Megaman, Zelda etc.

• Like 1

Atari 2600

G.I. Joe - Cobra Strike: 136 min

Smurf: 5 min

Super Breakout: 89 min

C64

Kaiser: 40 min

An absolute blast for me in the HSC - Cobra Strike was my suggestion before the season. I suck at it, especially with mouse control, but damn, it's a fun game. The current week features Super Breakout. Atarian7 - Paddle Master, you interested?

The 3 minutes of Outlaw were again played right in the current special exhibition of the museum where I work. A museum of Nature with a working Atari console installed. How cool is that? I played the game to test one of the joysticks - which had a bad wire that I was able to repair.

I'm not familiar with super breakout. What is it compared to regular breakout?

Here's the summary for Week 43, running from October 21 - 27. We logged 1964 minutes of eligible play, playing 34 games on a total of 9 systems.

Top 10:

1. Todd's Adventures in Slime World (Genesis) - 753

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 217

3. RBI Baseball 4 (Genesis) - 183

4. G.I. Joe (Atari 2600) - 136

5. Super Breakout (Atari 2600) - 89

6. Diablo (TI-99) - 77

7. Missile Command (Atari 8-bit) - 65

8. Pro Quarterback (Genesis) - 46

9. Obloids (Memotech MTX-512) - 41

10. Missile Command+ (Atari 8-bit) - 40

10. Kaiser (C64) - 40

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 217

2. G.I. Joe (Atari 2600) - 136

3. Super Breakout (Atari 2600) - 89

4. Diablo (TI-99) - 77

5. Missile Command (Atari 8-bit) - 65

6. Obloids (Memotech MTX-512) - 41

7. Missile Command+ (Atari 8-bit) - 40

7. Kaiser (C64) - 40

9. Robotron: 2084 (Atari 5200) - 25

10. Gingerbread Man (Atari 2600) - 20

10. Laser Gates (Atari 2600) - 20

10. Princess Rescue (Atari 2600) - 20

Top 10 systems:

Not enough entries for a top 10. (The Genesis would've been #1, with 1020 minutes.)

Baseball, football, Diablo on the TI-99, and something called the "Memotech MTX-512"? Week 43 is a weird one, with the #1 spot held by some guy named Todd who has serious complexion issues and is kind of a slimeball. But at least we have Kaboom at #2 to restore some sense of normalcy.

• Like 2

Atari 2600

Challenge of Nexar: 25 min

Frogger: 5 min

Smurf: 3 min

Super Breakout: 279 min

Time Race (aka Time Warp): 3 min

Ungeheuer der Tiefe (aka Skin Diver aka Sea Hunt): 4 min

Game Boy Classic

Batman: 10 min

Legend of Zelda - Links Awakening: 17 min

Apart from a hell of a time in the HSC (Super Breakout), I was just testing a few Atari carts. Time Race is another addition to my Time Race cart variant collection, but an odd one. This one has the precisely same cover as all other Time Race carts, but the game is actually Time Warp. Nice addition. That game was missing in my collection anyway :-).

I picked up Ungeheuer der Tiefe on a flea market last week. It's really bad.

Edited by karokoenig
  • Like 1

Nintendo Famicom:

Magic Jewelry - 12 min.

Interton VC-4000:

Invaders - 5 min.
Outer Space Combat - 7 min.

VIC-20:

Bandits - 6 min.
Capture the Flag - 1 min.
Final Orbit - 4 min.
Mobile Attack - 8 min.
Mountain King - 2 min.
Spider City - 2 min.
Tooth Invaders - 2 min.

A bit of a game testing week for me as well. I bought two VC-4000 games in September that I haven't had time to try until now. Invaders obviously is a Space Invaders clone, while the other is about aiming a crosshair at aliens and fire before they get too close. Both games seem rather decent for being for the 1292 type systems, or perhaps I have not played enough of those to have a good point of comparison.

Then I brought out my NTSC VIC-20, as I figured I have a TV that will display NTSC composite video in colour. Most of the VIC games played are NTSC only, meaning I never got to play them on real hardware before. Apart from Bandits, I don't think I've been missing anything although technically Capture the Flag from 1983 is quite nice.

• Like 1

Here are my times for this past week (October 28th through November 3rd)...

Amstrad CPC:

Marble Madness Construction Set - 15 min.

Atari 2600:

Mangia - 237 min. in 7 sessions

Grand Theft Atari - 68 min. in 2 sessions

The main game I played this week is Mangia on the Atari 2600. I regularly reached over 2000 points on it in Level 4 which gets harder by reducing the opportunity for you to get rid of the pasta without eating it yourself.

Grand Theft Atari is an attempt of porting GTA to the Atari 2600. You see a top-down, non-scrolling view of the street in 2 colors. It's a WIP because only running over pedestrians works, but you can't do anything at the houses which are supposed to be the starting points for missions. However, the map is quite big, though it works a bit wonky in places... especially on the top right edge where you get back to the start if you go to the right on one of the screens. Basically, you only get from screen to screen in the directions the street faces... in other directions, you leave the screen and reappear on the opposite side of the same screen. In some places, however, you are taken to different places than expected.

Finally, I briefly replayed Marble Madness Construction Set because I was curious how the construction works after having drawn similar maps for the TI-99 using the PC-side map editor Magellan. There it has to be done by drawing tiles, in contrast to that, MMCK allows you to set 2x2 areas of different slopes next to each other. However, the whole background graphics is monochrome, which doesn't make good use of the CPC's graphics capabilities at all.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 1

My times for the week:

Intellivision:
Dracula - 12 min.
Spiker! Super Pro Volleyball - 45 min.
Sega Master System:
ALF - 82 min.
Vigilante - 73 min.
Genesis:
Columns III - 39 min.
ESPN Baseball Tonight - 4 min.
G-LOC Air Battle - 3 min.
RBI Baseball 4 - 797 min.
ToeJam & Earl - 270 min.
Tom & Jerry: Frantic Antics! - 120 min.
Winter Olympic Games: Lillehammer '94 - 46 min.
Beat the SMS games Vigilante and ALF. My thoughts on both here, along with comments on Pro Quarterback and Todd's Adventures in Slime World from last week.
I made a big push to finish RBI Baseball 4 this week, and with a perfect record I was able to unlock the final game against the Tengen team -- only to discover that they're absolutely, insanely overpowered and can hit home runs essentially at will. I've played around half-a-dozen games or partial games against them so far, and the closest I came was leading 28-25 in the bottom of the 9th, only to get homered into oblivion. Ugh.
Otherwise I played a few things with my other half. The Intellivision came out for Halloween, and we played Dracula (meh) and Spiker (rather good). Then on the Genesis, we played ToeJam and Earl for the first time (and just missed beating it), and had a full cycle of matches in Columns III.
Finally, I played most of the way through slippery 16-bit platformer Tom & Jerry, and managed to get an OK handle on the downhill event in Winter Olympic Games.
  • Like 1

late Sunday night...

7800-

Meteor Shower- 20min (good remake of Astroblast/Astrosmash game, but default settings too easy)

Scramble- 25min (faithful rendition of this classic, only complaints are: fuel runs out quickly and should have used both fire buttons)

• Like 1