IGNORED

Ultima Collecting -- I am in big trouble!

Albert

From what I remember in the 'history' book, Ultima I on the Apple II was a school project that Pacific Software picked up and sold in a plastic bag with the disk and manual - I dont think they ran out of anything, it was a low cost production from the start.

Ran out might not be the right phrase. This was 1980, so disks were still expensive (like $2-$5 each) so if a bunch of copies of a game like Phantoms Five had been run off and were lying around, I can see why California Pacific would have opted to write over them with Ultima.

As a mail order publisher, they would likely have been surprised by the mass influx of orders.

It's not rare at all. In fact, it's still for sale from the website (I'll have to look it up in a sec). I bought mine there a few years ago.

EDIT: Hmm... Maybe it's not available anymore. I think the site I got it from was Shareware Solutions II and it appears the owner has recently died (2010).

More info: https://groups.googl...o4/4GI8O9EuENEJ

Correct, it hasn't been available since his death 3 years ago and because he never made it freeware, it's not legally available anywhere on the internet.

The reason I don't seriously collect Ultima is Akalabeth. It's just too expensive and rare and I don't like the idea of incomplete collections. That said, I do actually own a nice boxed Ultima I for the Atari 800, but I justify it by saying its part of my all-up A8 RPG collection.

I think the last one went for around $1,200, which I don't think is too bad. As for "incomplete collection", I will have to decide where to draw the line. Many of the games saw releases on a wide variety of platforms. It's kind of like label variations for Atari 2600 games--do you really want 26 versions of Combat? I consider the variations interesting enough to collect where they significantly deviate from others, such as the various console and FM Towns releases. There's also lots of interesting Japanese variations (which includes the FM Towns games, of course).

And what about non-game items? Books, clue books, manga, novels, posters, magazines featuring Ultima on the cover, strategy guides, action figures (Ultima Online, I'm looking at you), rare promotional items, and so on. While it seems to be a pretty narrow field to collect for, as that giant Ultima: The Ultimate Collector's Guide book shows, there's a rather large selection of Ultima "stuff" one can acquire.

..Al

Yeah, I see what you mean. Everybody defines thier collection differently. I tend to go for 'core' and expand from there. I consider Akalabeth 'core' to this franchise, so unless/until I get one, I won't really be hunting for Ultimas.

If I wanted to collect early 2600 games, but found out that Air Sea Battle and Combat were nearly impossible to find, that might be enough to deter me. On the other hand, I would not loose any sleep over not owning the rare Frech Combat misprint variant that Nolan Bushnell once tripped over, even if it was one-of-a-kind. (If that makes sense)

So...

I started a new game of Ultima II. This time as a DIRTY SCOUNDREL THIEF (which I never play in games of this type), with Agility set to 50 (after the Thief bonus) so I can wield good weapons right from the start, and of course, make it easier to steal. I then went and purchased some Leather armour and a Greatsword. Then went to McDonalls and in five minutes I wrapped the damn food counter beyond 9999 and had to start stealing again!

Whooops.

But just that one factor--not having to worry about food, will make the game much easier to play through and finish, with less aggravation. Now I need to figure out a fast way to get gold. Hopefully I can steal that easily as well, so I can get better armour and weapons and then build up all my stats. Shouldn't take long to finish this game, then I can move onto Ultima III, which I really look forward to (and which I'll play "properly").

..Al

So...

I started a new game of Ultima II. This time as a DIRTY SCOUNDREL THIEF (which I never play in games of this type), with Agility set to 50 (after the Thief bonus) so I can wield good weapons right from the start, and of course, make it easier to steal. I then went and purchased some Leather armour and a Greatsword. Then went to McDonalls and in five minutes I wrapped the damn food counter beyond 9999 and had to start stealing again!

Whooops.

But just that one factor--not having to worry about food, will make the game much easier to play through and finish, with less aggravation. Now I need to figure out a fast way to get gold. Hopefully I can steal that easily as well, so I can get better armour and weapons and then build up all my stats. Shouldn't take long to finish this game, then I can move onto Ultima III, which I really look forward to (and which I'll play "properly").

..Al

Youa re on your way :) - Next is get a ship, that will help get gold 'faster' - though there is no sure fire way to really stock up fast. Once you beat the time of legends that is the best place for a ship.

Ahoy - you'll figure out pretty quickly where monsters spwan and pool in each timezone - then its hammer time!

One other item for U2 - there is a max on monsters so if you have some oddball islands they spawn on and dont them out you could eventually have no more monster spwan.

Or you could build cages like I did :)

ult2player_atariage.jpg

Edited by Goochman

Well, I found the "best" area to grind. So, I'm just going around in circles, so to speak. Building up some gold, upping my stats, getting more hit points, rinse, repeat. :)

..Al

This is the reason why U2 has not aged well with new comers - when it was released many aspects were unknown so acquiring gold came about from exploring and going through each town umpteen times trying to understand the clues.

With todays knowledge we know the 5 or 6 things you really need to do, hence no need to explore and acquire gold along the way.

This is the reason why U2 has not aged well with new comers - when it was released many aspects were unknown so acquiring gold came about from exploring and going through each town umpteen times trying to understand the clues.

With todays knowledge we know the 5 or 6 things you really need to do, hence no need to explore and acquire gold along the way.

Well now, that would be cheating!

..Al

I just gave a spare copy of Ultima Exodus for NES to a coworker. He's getting used to the whole "You aren't hand held through this game like Final Fantasy" style.

Hopefully he doesn't hate it.

That Ultima collector book is scary.

It should be called "How to never have money again"

Speaking of Ultima 2, I Just played through it again. I basically just stole food, stole weapons and armor, and slaughtered everything, including the townsfolk.

Too bad there isn't an alternate ending where the people of the world fear you more than Minax, and then you take over everything that's ever existed, ever.

bwhahahahaha.

Does anyone else actually explore the towers? I know alot of people just ignore them.

Does anyone else actually explore the towers? I know alot of people just ignore them.

During my current playthrough, I went into one of the towers, couldn't see anything (didn't have any torches), and immediately left. That's the extent of my tower and dungeon exploration. There are several areas where Ultima I is superior to Ultima II,

1) Dungeon exploration is required to complete the game.

2) More castles, towns and dungeons (although once inside, there are only a few different types, and no "unique" features)

3) More types of armor and weapons

4) You're sent on quests, as opposed to randomly hunting around for clue. The latter is probably more "realistic", if you were just plopped down in some strange land)

5) Ranged weapons (surprised there are none in U2)

6) Money isn't required to increase your stats (although it's probably too easy to do this in both games).

7) Names and towns that will show up in future Ultimas

More I'm sure I'm forgetting. Both are grind games, but U1 feels more polished and better thought out than U2.

..Al

Oh, last night while I was playing, I realized something amusing. While in the frigates, I was stil using the "A"ttack command to fight enemies. It wasn't until I accidentally hit "F" for "FIRE THE DAMN CANNONS" that I realized I hadn't using the cannons all along! D'oh!

Also, it's strange how you can "spawn" as many frigates as you'd like once you board one. Not sure if this was intentional or a bug in the game. Sure seems like a bug!

..Al

That is insane I would never have guessed there was that much Ultima stuff. You have motivated me to dig out my copy of Ultima Underworld and fire it up :)

I'd love to see the early Ultima games available for Android phones. I have been playing Bards Tale Tales of the Unknown a lot on my phone recently ( i think its a port of the Commodore Amiga version) - the original trilogy comes free with the Quest for Coin and Cleavage game from 2004.

Edited by Fretwobbler