IGNORED

Ultima Collecting -- I am in big trouble!

Albert

That coin and cleavage game was funny, but it was such a departure from Bards Tale.

I like Ultima 2 more than 1 in some parts, and vice versa.

Ultima 2 feels empty. A majority of the towns are just duds. It feels too distant most of the time. I do however, like the amount of exploration and time-travelling. It really adds to the game. I think had the dungeons been required, the game would've had more purpose.

Maybe the tassle should have been an item in a tower or cave? That would've been useful.

Oh, last night while I was playing, I realized something amusing. While in the frigates, I was stil using the "A"ttack command to fight enemies. It wasn't until I accidentally hit "F" for "FIRE THE DAMN CANNONS" that I realized I hadn't using the cannons all along! D'oh!

No wonder you were having so much trouble making money.

I really need to get back into IV...I was considering bringing my DS to work, but Ultima isn't really the kind of game you can progress very far in during 15 minute breaks.

Yeah, I was probably playing on a 13" Commodore 1702 back then. :)

..Al

Mine was a 13" color TV with the switch boxes etc. lol

My neighborhood friend had a Commodore 1702 at his house of course with a C64 and later a C128 hooked up to it. I thought at the time it was great...always wanted one.

Mine was a 13" color TV with the switch boxes etc. lol

My neighborhood friend had a Commodore 1702 at his house of course with a C64 and later a C128 hooked up to it. I thought at the time it was great...always wanted one.

Yeah, that's what I had....a Commodore 1702 monitor hooked up to a C128D. For a few years I was using that monitor for my NES gameplaying also. Later I used a 19 inch TV for the NES and SNES.

I defentily don't have patience for grinding anymore (that was fine as a kid when I had time and didn't know any better!) so it sounds like U1 and 2 are out. What's the first Ultima game where you don't need to grind, but can get the experience and money you need just by normal gameplay?

Ultima II is finished! They might as well have simply printed "Game Over" at the end, as you don't really get much reward for completing the game. Just "You have saved the universe, blah blah blah, PLAY OUR NEXT GAME!!"

From here on out they will take considerably longer to play. Heck, with Ultima III I have to setup a party before I can even start the game!

..Al

Ready to start Ultima III! I printed the map on an 11" x 17" sheet of paper. :)

ultima_3_start.jpg

..Al

Wow that's a great pic! I might actually save this pic :P

I used to keep the cloth map pinned to the wall when I was young and played this game for hours after high school.

So, whats your party going to be? All dwarf Paladins? Just kidding but Paladins are pretty helpful for magic and combat.

Get those exotic armors and there's one area you can level grind fast and get gold. I'm sure you may remember some of this....

Yeah, that's what I had....a Commodore 1702 monitor hooked up to a C128D. For a few years I was using that monitor for my NES gameplaying also. Later I used a 19 inch TV for the NES and SNES.

I defentily don't have patience for grinding anymore (that was fine as a kid when I had time and didn't know any better!) so it sounds like U1 and 2 are out. What's the first Ultima game where you don't need to grind, but can get the experience and money you need just by normal gameplay?

I think U3-U5 leveling came from exploring. In my case, these days, since I know what I need to do to beat the game I need to level grind since I wont be wandering around so much. I think Ultima 7 is your best bet at no level grinding at all. I havent played 6 as I mentioned.

Since I haven't played these games for a while other than Ultima 3 my memory may not be accurate but thats what I recall.

Also, I know its overblown but Ultima IV really is a special game. It took me a few years to beat it back in the 80's. The first RPG where you really didnt go out to kill some wizard or demon. Back then it was innovative. I think today its still highly regarded as it should be.

Edited by cimerians

I used to keep the cloth map pinned to the wall when I was young and played this game for hours after high school.

I don't want to use the cloth maps for these playthroughs, although I certainly did when I first played these games. Having a printed map is nice since I can make notes on them (such as all the town and dungeon locations, and in this game, the moongates).

So, whats your party going to be? All dwarf Paladins? Just kidding but Paladins are pretty helpful for magic and combat.

Well, my first party was a Dwarf Fighter, Dwarf Ranger, Bobbin Cleric and Fuzzy Wizard. I played for about two hours until one of my characters ran out of food. This game may be even worse than Ultima II in the food department, since you cannot steal food. Also, having to manage four characters instead of one is a bit more tedious, especially when you have to do four separate food transactions whenever you purchase food.

I did explore the outerworld and mapped out the locations of the towns, dungeons, and some of the moongates. I need to make a chart for the moongates, as I nearly got trapped in one area when I was low on food. Not that it mattered, as I ran out of food anyway! Most of my first party attempt was a few waves of killing monsters, getting more food, killing more monsters, getting more food, and so forth until death.

I gave the fighter and ranger bows, the cleric a mace, and the wizard a dagger. Apparently I didn't give the ranger enough wisdom, as he couldn't cast the basic heal spell (which needs 10MP). They all had cloth armor, I believe. Winning battles wasn't a problem, but the monsters don't spawn very often. This makes it difficult to accumulate gold so you can buy food (not to mention other things!)

Get those exotic armors and there's one area you can level grind fast and get gold. I'm sure you may remember some of this....

Nope, and i'm sure I ever actually went through Ultima III. I know I had started to play it (the PC versions of I - IX, the Worlds of Ultimas and Underworlds 1 and 2 are all my original purchases), but now I don't think I actually went very far through it for some reason. If I did, I don't remember where/how to obtain exotic armor or where to grind. I'd like to discover this on my own, though. :)

..Al

No spoilers please! :D

..Al

Well I don't remember exactly where the place is.. but I could find it pretty easily if I need to.

In Ultima III there is a place for gold and a place where you can max out your characters stats as well. I'll just leave it at that. :P

For those thinking of playing.. In I-III you get used to being able to do things like stealing gold, food and of course level grinding. However all that changes in IV. I'll never forget a friend of mine about freaked when he first talked to the oracle. :lol: I don't remember having to grind as much in III... and it's actually ultra easy once you figure out the secret.

To answer another question.. As far as grinding you might have to do some in IV and V because the final dungeons can be pretty tough and if you are not careful and have a party with too many low level characters you can get stuck in the final dungeon in V. I remember I entered that dungeon unprepared so I never was able to finish the game. :lol:

Edited by Shannon

Well, I tried playing IV briefly last night, and can't remember where I left off =) I just remember I was stuck.

I might have to consult a FAQ...I checked through my notes, and at least I've jotted down that I only have two of the virtues, there's one place to start.

A bit more Ultima sharing from me - no spoliers though :)

If you are playing U3 with no knowledge and not using the internet for secrets then it could take you quite awhile to finish. The dungeons alone can take alot of time - but back in the day U3 was da bomb! You'll find alot of monster fighting on land so you could do what I did and fill the world with chests and leave some open area for monsters to appear - makes it easier to look around (see my avatar pic :) )

U4 was really great - Back in the 80's I went into the final dungeon, got to the bottom and did have the final part in the right order and was kicked out - with no saving in dungeons I spent like 3 hours going down......I was ticked and just counted it as I had won and didnt turn back.

In the late 90's with all the internet info and such I decided I had to really complete the gain, so I loaded my characters back up and with some maps finished the final dungeon in over an hour. Boy remembering how to mix spells and use the right ones on the right monsters was a chore but worth it!

To answer another question.. As far as grinding you might have to do some in IV and V because the final dungeons can be pretty tough and if you are not careful and have a party with too many low level characters you can get stuck in the final dungeon in V. I remember I entered that dungeon unprepared so I never was able to finish the game. :lol:

That happened to me a few times in V. The last dungeon is a HUGE bump up in difficulty (not to mention being a freaking maze). You can think you're all good to go since you rule the overworld but get your ass handed to you when you go down into the dungeon. The last time I beat it I ended up simply running away from everything I could. I think I had 2 party members left at the end. :)

If you are playing U3 with no knowledge and not using the internet for secrets then it could take you quite awhile to finish. The dungeons alone can take alot of time - but back in the day U3 was da bomb! You'll find alot of monster fighting on land so you could do what I did and fill the world with chests and leave some open area for monsters to appear - makes it easier to look around (see my avatar pic :) )

I was wondering about your avatar picture. :)

Yeah, I knew starting with U3 the games would take considerably longer than U1 and U2 to play. And I'm fine with that. I have a fresh pack of graph paper for the dungeons as well.

..Al

I have a fresh pack of graph paper for the dungeons as well.

..Al

Now you are completely going old school. Fantastic! It will take you a while to beat this game it can be pretty lengthy if your not using any kind of help.

I think you mentioned the moongates. Basically what I did was memorize and jot down the phases of the moons and put them on the map with stickers lol.

I had to do this as I discovered the gates back in the day and just using them all the time. The first one is the moon gate spot itself and the second is the destination on where you will go (the second has three destinations.)

Heres an explanation:

http://shrines.rpgcl...moongates.shtml

Here's a map with locations:

http://guides.gamerc...aiii/moongates/

Simply don't use the above if you want to map them out yourself.

Edited by cimerians

Now you are completely going old school. Fantastic! It will take you a while to beat this game it can be pretty lengthy if your not using any kind of help.

That's the plan. The first time I play through any game I really prefer not to use any external help. The only times I've done so in the past have been in games where I am SERIOUSLY STUCK and have been bashing my head against a wall for hours. Usually I'll stop playing and come back fresh and that sometimes helps. I do remember looking for help with Stonekeep after I could simply not go any further in the game. Turns out it this was a bug in the game and there was nothing I could do about it. Since I had put a large amount of time into the game by this point, I became disgusted and stopped playing. Never did go back to play it again.

I think you mentioned the moongates. Basically what I did was memorize and jot down the phases of the moons and put them on the map with stickers lol.

I had to do this as I discovered the gates back in the day and just using them all the time. The first one is the moon gate spot itself and the second is the destination on where you will go (the second has three destinations.)

Heres an explanation:

http://shrines.rpgcl...moongates.shtml

Here's a map with locations:

http://guides.gamerc...aiii/moongates/

Simply don't use the above if you want to map them out yourself.

Yeah, I'll be mapping them myself. :)

..Al

I've just about given up on Amazon Marketplace. Received two more items yesterday--two games from one seller and a book. The book is fine, I really have no problems with bubble mailers being used for those. But the two games, one of which was a cardboard box, were shipped together in a single, large bubble envelope. On top of that, both games were described as "Like New" and they are more accurately "Good", if that--especially the condition of the boxes, one of which I'd call "Acceptable". I mean, really, LIKE NEW should mean the damn thing looks NEW except that it's been opened to play.

I wrote a seller yesterday asking if they'd ship a game in a box. They wrote back,

"Hi Albert. Only if you order it Expedited. It's only a $9.00 game and Standard is $3.99 for shipping. Since Amazon keeps 15% of the product sale and a chunk of shipping cost as well, it isn't cost effective for us to use anything other than a large bubble wrap envelope. But if ordered Expedited, we could put it in a small box for you. Let me know if you are going to do that so I can tell our packaging guy when it comes in."

That is reasonable, in my opinion (expedited shipping is $6.99 versus $3.99), and the problem here really seems to be that Amazon forces sellers to use a standard shipping rate and that they take chunks of both the item price and the shipping fee. So for the most part, every seller is going to ship items via Media Mail in a bubble or manilla envelope.

The bigger problem is item descriptions. I've come to the conclusion that unless you have a personal dialog with a seller, the stated item condition means virtually nothing, except perhaps for "New". Since stock photos are used for everything on Amazon, you really have no idea what you're getting until it's in your hands. And then you don't necessarily know if an item was damaged during shipping (due to use of a bubbleope or worse) or if the seller simply misrepresented the condition. At least on eBay most people take their own photos, often times MULTIPLE photos, and usually describe the item(s) in far more detail than on Amazon. And you have to dig a bit on Amazon to ask a seller a question about an item (but at least then you get an email back, as opposed to having to use eBay's restrictive message system).

Okay, that's enough of my "buying Ultima items online" rant for the day.

..Al

Man, I need to dig through my garage and find my Ultima IX Dragon Edition. The box is so large that it wasn't packed with my other Ultima games. I haven't seen it in so long that I'm questioning whether I actually even own it, so I need to confirm this before I buy it online! I know I also have the original Ultima Online box, which has a cloth map as well. That's another larger box and is probably with my Dragon Edition Ascension. Anyone want to come visit and help me dig through my garage?

..Al

Just an FYI - IIRC the original box for U3 indicated it provided 300-400 hours of gameplay to finish :)

That could be about what I spent on it before filling the land.

I filled the ocean of U2 legends time with boats waiting for U3 to come out - yeah I was a bit of a Ultima nut back then.

Just made my first forage into the garage and in the very first box I opened I found the following!!

ultima_find_1.jpg

Sealed copies of Ultima Collection and Ultima IX Ascension

ultima_find_2.jpg

Sealed copies of System Shock and System Shock 2!

ultima_find_3.jpg

A used copy of Ultima IV that I purchased from Goodwill. The box is in terrible shape (someone used box tape around the entire thing, one corner is torn, and some tearing on the front you can see in this photo), but it is complete, and I only paid a dollar for it!

ultima_find_4.jpg

This seems to be a later release, as it has that big "Special Promotional Release" sticker on the front, an advertisement for Ultima VII, has a paper map, and there's a sticker on the back that says, "...And the Winer Is: Ultima VI", listing some awards the game won and quotes from reviewers. Someone even left all their notes and hand drawn maps in the box!

..Al

• Like 3

Just an FYI - IIRC the original box for U3 indicated it provided 300-400 hours of gameplay to finish :)

That could be about what I spent on it before filling the land.

Just looked at the two copies of III I have sitting here. One is for the PC and one for the Atari 8-bit. The printing is slightly different on each box, but there's no mention fo 300-400 hours of gameplay. Maybe it was a sticker on the sealed boxes? Were they even sealed?

I filled the ocean of U2 legends time with boats waiting for U3 to come out - yeah I was a bit of a Ultima nut back then.

LOL, funny.

..Al