IGNORED

BEAT ME :-) Atari High Score Challenge

theaveng

Just for fun! How good are you? Let's find out! You can use either a real Atari or an emulator... just choose the correct game/difficulty setting and start playing! :D

TITLE---------------GAME-----SCORE----------HIGH-SCORER

Pac-Man------------1-B---------96995-------------Rcorcoran

Ms.Pac-Man--------1-B---------139310------------NE146

Jr.Pac-Man---------1-B---------272560------------Rcorcoran

Space Invaders---8-B---------1100---------------Troy

InvisibleInvaders-16-B--------220----------------Troy

Asteroids----------32-A--------9000---------------Troy

B=Novice/Beginner A=Expert/Pro

Contest Dates: February 11- 28 - midnight EST

Good Luck! :)

I'll take on the following:

Mspacman game 1

Asteroids game 32A (no extra man, Fast Asteroids, and no shield/hyperspace/flip)

and

Space Invaders Game 8B (moving shields, fast bombs, zigzagging bombs).. although I think we should take out the moving shields.. those just get annoying :P

Here are my personal best scores for each game:

TITLE---------------GAME-----SCORE

Pac-Man------------1-B---------301400

Ms.Pac-Man--------1-B---------2654680

Jr.Pac-Man---------1-B---------340730

Space Invaders---8-B---------3920

InvisibleInvaders-16-B--------2260

Asteroids----------32-A--------52580 (15 minutes only-still had 3 ships)

All scores listed are posted to the Twin Galaxies Scoreboard and have been verified by a TG Referee.

What I want to know is WHAT is the secret? :P MsPac gets so darn hard later on with the Red ghost going so fast. Even if he's not explicitely chasing you, eventually, you'll find yourself in his path with no way of getting out of the way.. I imagine that would happen several times along the way to 2 million. How'd you do it? :?

And to score 340k on Jr. Pac? Holy shit! How many threads have started here about the difficulty of 2600 JrPac and the "kamikaze" techniques of it's ghosts. What's the secret to that too?

So Ron.. any tips? 8)

TITLE---------------GAME-----SCORE

Pac-Man------------1-B---------301400

Jr.Pac-Man---------1-B---------340730

Space Invaders---8-B---------3920

InvisibleInvaders-16-B--------2260

Asteroids----------32-A--------52580 (15 minutes only-still had 3 ships)

Thats one cool thing about no Snapshot function. You can't cheat in Atari 2600 Games! :D

[/b]

Scores only count during the ~3-week period from Feb 11 (when contest began) to 28 (deadline).  This is not an all-time-best contest, but a limited-time contest.

Sorry about that. I thought you were going for what our personal best scores were with a deadline to post them by 28 Feb 03. :(

What I want to know is WHAT is the secret? :P MsPac gets so darn hard later on with the Red ghost going so fast. Even if he's not explicitely chasing you, eventually, you'll find yourself in his path with no way of getting out of the way.. I imagine that would happen several times along the way to 2 million. How'd you do it? :?

The secret to Ms. Pacman on the VCS is simply one word... Quadrants. You must clear each quadrant on it's own. As with the coin-op Ms. Pac, never make a run on dots longer than three (3) seconds and use the tunnels at all time to your advantage. The ghosts have a pattern/behaviour they follow. You will find by not making large runs, and using the tunnels, you will easily manipulate them into moving in a way that suits you. Be patient in clearing the quadrants and go for the max # of blue ghosts early to build your score. Eventually, the game comes down to tunnel use and gathering fruits (much like the coin-op). Hope this helps a little.

And to score 340k on Jr. Pac? Holy shit! How many threads have started here about the difficulty of 2600 JrPac and the "kamikaze" techniques of it's ghosts. What's the secret to that too?

Actually, I'm not really that good at Jr. Pacman. Robert Macauley has a score of 1,794,250 and Mark Feldt has a score of 902,660 that have been posted to TG. I consider myself well behind the curve in this game as my score is only 18.990% of #1. :(

I see that you have a lot of systems connected. What sort of connector do you use? I assume that you have something that acts like a switcher.

Well.. actually no. I just kind of unplug and play as I go :P But to be fair that tv generally only has a vcr and a dvd player attached to it. I just break out the systems from storage as I want to play them.. and obviously I just went on a binge from that photo :lol:

It's all cleared up now though and the only thing there is the 2600. But I'll put that away once I'm done as well :)

NE, your setup is how mine would look ideally; but my poor wife would go nuts (or wring my neck).  When I have a gameroom though, someday... :ponder:

Well my wife has plenty to say believe you me! :lol: Notice I said "it's cleared up now". Do you think I would have cleared it up if I was still single?! :D And btw.. it's not really my "setup".. I'm just in my 2-bedroom apartment.. far from home with a few games. Back at home is where my REAL gameroom is ;)

Oh and I tried to play MsPac again.. too tired. Died fast. I'm leaving my 2600 out so I can try again tomorrow! :)

Holy... Rcorcoran you are incredible! Thanks for that advice on Ms.Pac-Man about clearing quadrants and ducking out tunnels. You should start your own column: How To Beat Atari Games. ;-)

NE146: If I may give you some advice? Don't leave your PS2 on the floor. The fan will suck the dirt off the carpet and into the front of the PS2... and cloud your lens and cause disk-read-errors. That's why my PS2 is sitting on a separate table.

One advantage of emulation is that you only have one console. That way the wife won't get mad. ;)

I am fortunate enough to have a cool wife (married 18 years). When we bought our house 3 years ago (after we moved to Phoenix), she agreed that I could have the 2nd den as my gameroom. In it are all of my cabs (Bosconian, Tron & Ms. pac), all of my consoles and retro computers. I also have what I characterize as an "EmuBox" in there. It's a PC dedicated to running nothing but emulators. :) Keeps me from having a spaghetti farm of wires. :)

As for the tips on Ms. Pac, my pleasure. Visit the Twin Galaxies forum sometime and you will see hints/tips and such to many games from the top players in the world. If there is a game you need advice or help with, feel free to ask. I'm sure many people will be glad to help (such as here at AA).

Allright I dunno about no "zones" but the third times the charm :D It was sort of frustrating because I cleared so many stages but got an inordinate amount of "cherry" stages :sad:, and as we all know, unlike the arcade game, in 2600 MsPac, once you get a certain fruit, that's it for the entire stage. Oh well.. that's just the way it is. :P

Next up.. Asteroids 32A and Space Invaders 8B :party:

post-31-1045639835_thumb.jpg