IGNORED

NGX: Disappointed...........with "gamers", not the system.

DaytonaUSA

I find it highly disappointing, how the community at large has treated the Neo Geo X. And I'm not just talking about AA, I'm talking about everyone, including the Neo Geo forums.

I thought it was a general rule, even at places like theisozone.com, that current systems were not to be hacked and exploited for free games. I also figured that people would see this as not a "evil giant corporation", but actually support a release of what essentially is a portable AES and for that matter a home console, for cheap. Sure places like Neo Geo forums aren't passing around free roms, but showing not only how to hack the system, but how to format the roms to work on the system is nearly just as bad, as anyone with half a brain cell can figure out where to download these things.

Has emulation honestly spoiled everyone here? Sure I can emulate N64 games, but is it the same? For those saying you can "just play Neo geo on the PSP", I ask you with all sincerity... how is that joystick fairing you? And for those who tell people like me not to buy a Neo Geo X... how many AES or MVS games have you purchased at collector prices?

You are either poor and emulate, not getting the full experience, or you're rich and you can afford a system as expensive as the AES and horribly overpriced cartridges (or you modify an MVS and get cheaper, albeit still terribly expensive carts). But at the end of the day, these are their games. If you've emulated, you've done so either because of a lack of portability or because you can't afford it the home console. And yet they've taken care of both those problems. And yet you stand here and criticize them for releasing this console? It doesn't matter that it's emulating the roms... no f***cking duh it's emulating them. Do you think it's an AES was squeezed into a portable? Of course not. But it's their roms, their games to sell. And unlike a PSP, they give you a proper Neo Geo joystick, not only on the portable itself, but also in a home setup; alleviating both needs for an affordable, LEGAL, portable and home Neo Geo setup. But instead you recommend the GCW Zero? There is no longer reason to steal. You have your joystick, portability, and cheap software. How cheap are you?

And for those telling others not to buy a "cheap" Neo Geo X. Why? Those I've seen doing this own either large MVS or AES collections. Now why would they not want to support SNK's release of a current version of the AES, but now made for "everyone" and not just the super rich? Oh that's right...

What's worse, is that there's public forums who encourage hacking the same month it's released. The damned thing doesn't even have any new software out yet, and you couldn't wait to open it up and steal, steal, steal?

I guess my point boils down to this. No company has honestly really done anything like this before for their "beloved fans" (read: the people who are stealing from them still). Atari kinda did with the Flashback systems, but they weren't promising new titles released. This is different. Instead of showing some damned support for them making an affordable, portable, and accurate (control wise) option for people who can't afford AES or consolized MVS consoles, you spit in their face? This only insures that something like this will NEVER be released again. And this isn't even one of the big "evil" companies. I'd hate to see what you guys would do to a Sony or Capcom product if in the distant future, something like this was done.

It just pains me. It pains me to see people act like this. We should be happy, and grateful that something like this was released for huge Neo Geo fans who aren't content with PSP controls, AES/MVS collector prices, or dumbed down Neo Geo Pocket Color games for their Neo Geo fixes. I'm not telling you to buy it. If you want to play your AES, then duh.. play it. You own it. And for the prices you've payed, you've earned your right to play it. But don't tell others not to purchase the NGX, simply because you've spent over 10 thousand dollars for your 40 game collection and you hate the thought of someone else having a close enough experience with the real arcade stick for pennies on the dollar. And if you're hacking on the PSP, and are a huge fan of Neo Geo games, I ask you do not only to not tell others not to buy it (because it costs money, omgz), but I ask you why not support them? You love these games right? By showing no support this will die. They could even make new titles for the Neo Geo platform with this thing. But we might never see them, because you're greedy. You'll steal every game that's released till the project is canceled. Why not? A few screws loosened, a reformated SD card ... why not? A Neo Geo forum member said "by making the system like this with an eternal memory card, they're basically asking us to hack it". No, not really, but I guess that's your justification to steal? If a bank's security was lacking, does that justify you to break in and take money that's not yours?

You guys are honestly the reason why cool things like this are never released. We're in a damned day and age where everyone feels like they're entitled to have everything for free. And all it will do it prevent NEW releases of the things you love. You want to hack your Vita? Then expect it to have an early death... cherish the few games you'll get for "free" before it's early death. Same with this.

If you want to hack an old DC, or an N64. Have fun. Open it up. Tinker around. But remember, those systems are long and dead. They aren't profiting from selling those systems any longer. Have some damned respect for these guys, who are trying to basically give you fan service, and not just have your hands out begging for more for free.

I call myself a gamer, but honestly.. I wish there was another term to call myself. Because many of you "gamers" sicken me, and I honestly wish to not be associated with what you guys do and represent at any point in time. I don't hate those people who are doing this. I have good friends here who are in this group. But your actions shock and disappoint. And it's just sad to see.

Edited by DaytonaUSA

I appreciate that you feel betrayed by "gamers" because they haven't all fallen in love with the NGX, but you've gone a little overboard here. For those of us with a PSP, PS2, PS3, X-Box, 360, or computer, the NGX doesn't offer much value. We can use the hardware we already own and buy legitimate SNK compilations and collections. If we want arcade controls, we can buy those and add them to our existing hardware. No one has convinced me that the NGX offers something that I don't already legitimately own.

• I own a PSP with legit copies of every SNK compilation, even some that I've imported (like SNK Arcade 0). Therefore I don't need a NGX for portable SNK gaming. And yes, the PSP analog nub has been treating me fine, and I can even plug the PSP into a TV if I needed to.
  • I own multiple consoles with legit copies of SNK compilations, so I can already play SNK games at home on my ass in front of the TV.
  • I own an X-Arcade and several other "arcade style fighter sticks" for my consoles, so I can already experience SNK arcade awesomeness on my TV.

Why are you pissed off at someone like me? I've supported SNK for years by purchasing the same games on multiple systems. I've spent more on SNK games just on the PSP than the price of the NGX, let alone the other SNK games for other systems. Your anger at "gamers" is unjustified.

• Like 5

"I appreciate that you feel betrayed by "gamers" because they haven't all fallen in love with the NGX"... that's not at all what I said, but I "appreciate" your sarcastic undertone.

I'm not angry at people like you, who own legit copies of their games and emulate ONLY the copies you own, and keep to yourselves.

I'm pissed off at the people like you who tell others, without grandiose AES or MVS collections (because we couldn't afford it), that the NGX is a waste of time. It's meant for the people who could not afford or never had the opportunity to get an AES.

Like I said, and if you read it, if you have an AES.. play it. You've earned it. Hack a system and play the roms that you legally own. God knows I do. But what I don't appreciate are the people who don't own any Neo Geo games, and are encouraging people to just hack a PSP and take all the games for free, or the people with large AES collections telling Neo Geo newcomers to buy an AES and their expensive games instead of the NGX, which is obviously better suited to their budget. And is legal.

But all I see are people suggesting stealing from SNK, or ignoring it because it's not the "real thing". This is meant for someone other than an AES owner. And if someone doesn't own any Neo Geo games, they have no right playing all of them for free on a hacked console.

Edited by DaytonaUSA

I have two PSP systems, which were bought and hacked senseless during the height of the system's popularity. They were hacked to run a few homebrew programs. I copied games to memory cards to dramatically decrease load times. These are game that I purchased legitimately. The copies are still there on the memory sticks and the original UMDs (most are CIB) are on my game shelf. The PS2 was still active until what, last month? Both of mine are hacked to play iso files of games from their hard drives, and guess what: Every single ISO I have was ripped from a PS2 game or demo disc that sits on my shelf to this day.

There are legit reasons to hack systems, and hacking doesn't always mean pirating. In my case, it was to reduce wear, increase performance, and all but eliminate load times. I have further work to do on the PS2 units when SSDs get cheap enough to add big ones to each system. The optical drives in all four systems I mentioned work fine, and I intend to keep it that way.

That said, I do hear what you're saying. 99% of the time, hacking DOES mean piracy. Those are the people who give system hackers/modders a bad name. I have absolutely no problem with someone tearing into a brand new console in order to make it perform better, but I do have a problem with people copying software that they can still buy ... for a reasonable price.

• Like 1

It's not a current system. It's just another software emulator with a new case, hefty price tag, and the worst of the neo geo games.

Makes sense to at least get some decent titles on it, because IMO, they're not coming any other way. They're just not.

In general, Neo Geo owners are going to be a bit snobbish, though. It's a big part of what the systems were about. They're going to treat this like the emulated collections on consoles. Decent fun, but not the real thing--the difference is on this 'not the real thing' collection, they can put in better games and unlike psp, the hardware looks neo geo-ish.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 4

It's not a current system. It's just another software emulator with a new case, hefty price tag, and the worst of the neo geo games.

Makes sense to at least get some decent titles on it, because IMO, they're not coming any other way. They're just not.

THIS.

Also, to the OP, while you look at it as modern gamers pissing on a company trying to provide us with retro product, many of us including myself see it as branding a 2nd rate device with their logo and license merely to cash in on the retro gamer. Apparently any outdated piece of hardware the find a company to manufacture is good enough to license, slap their name on and cash in with. They emulation is not the greatest, the included games (ROMS) are questionable but OH WHAT they will be supposedly going to release more ROMS (oh I mean "Game Cards") that you will have the enjoyment of paying for separately, and you will like it and eat it up because, well, IT'S OFFICIALLY LICENSED ! It should have been designed from the beginning to run any Neo Geo rom off SD. People are hacking it to gett he most out of it and honestly I am not so sure that is not exactly what they expected with such poor security in place in this day and age. SNK saw a way to cash in on the Neo Geo fanboys by providing a low end device with sub par emulation they knew the could sucker fans into, that is how I see it and nothing I have seen has changed my mind. The people buying it and defending it are say THANKS SNK we approve of any scrape you throw our way! They wanted to cash in on the emulation scene as cheaply as possible period.

• Like 6

Nobody ever said there were going to be new games developed from scratch and released for it. They already stopped first party support of the AES so why would they start up again on a less accurate platform? And also most people already have a Wii which is cheaper. If it's emulation, might as well go the cheapest route and use the legitimate Virtual Console, Xbox Live or PSN releases with an arcade stick you can buy. If you're going to go the "legitimate emulation" route, go with what runs perfectly and is most accurate in all aspects. I have to say the Wii VC versions I've played are the closest I've seen to AES.

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 3

THIS.

Also, to the OP, while you look at it as modern gamers pissing on a company trying to provide us with retro product, many of us including myself see it as branding a 2nd rate device with their logo and license merely to cash in on the retro gamer. Apparently any outdated piece of hardware the find a company to manufacture is good enough to license, slap their name on and cash in with. They emulation is not the greatest, the included games (ROMS) are questionable but OH WHAT they will be supposedly going to release more ROMS (oh I mean "Game Cards") that you will have the enjoyment of paying for separately, and you will like it and eat it up because, well, IT'S OFFICIALLY LICENSED ! It should have been designed from the beginning to run any Neo Geo rom off SD. People are hacking it to gett he most out of it and honestly I am not so sure that is not exactly what they expected with such poor security in place in this day and age. SNK saw a way to cash in on the Neo Geo fanboys by providing a low end device with sub par emulation they knew the could sucker fans into, that is how I see it and nothing I have seen has changed my mind. The people buying it and defending it are say THANKS SNK we approve of any scrape you throw our way! They wanted to cash in on the emulation scene as cheaply as possible period.

What is cheap about it? Of course in this day and age, it's going to be emulated roms. No different than the Virtual Console at that point. What they are providing is a LEGAL (please, read and understand that word) way of playing not only portably, but also with a genuine SNK AES style control stick.

I don't condone emulation if the roms you use are not ones you've purchased. If you have an AES collection worth 40,000 dollars and you don't want to use your carts, I understand. Emulate. Good for you! But it's these people who don't own any of these systems, and who are telling "new" Neo Geo fans to emulate on a PSP instead.

At the end of the day, if you don't own a real Neo Geo system or carts, you have no right to pirate roms. You have no right to play them. And quite honestly, it's SNK's games. They can choose to release them however they damned well please. They aren't hurting anyone. Is an AES owner hurt by the NGX? No. No more than the Atari owner was hurt with the Flashback.

This has a market. And it isn't for the AES owner. But it certainly should not be hacked simply for the inclusion of "every" Neo Geo game because you're too cheap to buy them.

Again, if you own an AES. Fine. Seriously, I don't mind emulation if you own the real game. But if you're honestly too cheap to own an NGX, and hack on a PSP instead despite not owning any of the games, I find that deplorable. There are tons of people on the Neo Geo forum (and here to be honest) who don't own a single Neo Geo game, but they're pirating roms for their personal enjoyment.

New system or not, whatever your view is, it doesn't matter. It's SNK's property. It was in the early 90's, it is today. It's their choice to release this, but it's not hacker's legal permission to shove this system full of roms that they never paid for, either digitally or in cart form. I seriously can't believe I'm receiving so much slack for saying this. The NGX isn't for hackers either. I know forums have you believe that EVERY gamer who games is on a forum, and knows how to hack, and knows how (or has the lack of ethics to) pirate, but most gamers don't know this. Most gamers aren't on gaming websites or forums, and they sure as heck aren't hacking. This system serves a purpose to those masses. And honestly, SNK has every damned right to profit from their work.

This console was fanservice. And stealing from them as a response pretty much guarantees you that nice, official throw backs will never happen ever again. Enjoy pirating games with inferior control schemes. Because at this rate, if we keep stealing from companies, they'll just pull out and our hobby will be dead before long.

Edited by DaytonaUSA

I seriously doubt that new games were ever coming out for this system, piracy or no. If people buy the hardware and stuff new games on it, what's the big deal? They bought the system, everybody got their money, and I doubt the future will yield anything else for them to buy. I understand that it's not as legal as can be, but you are chatting on a site that has hundreds of commercial roms available for download. There's going to be some disagreement here.

I have quite a (legitimate) neo geo collection now, but I wouldn't have had any of it if it weren't for the old neoragex emulator to spark my interest. Back then (1999), neo geo was just hitting its stride and it was already emulated fairly decently. These days I think it's pretty neat to be able to use emulation to 'try before I buy.' I used to be able to try neo geo games out in arcades for a quarter, but now if I find a neo geo in one, 9/10 chance it contains a pirated copy of metal slug 3.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

What is cheap about it? Of course in this day and age, it's going to be emulated roms. No different than the Virtual Console at that point. What they are providing is a LEGAL (please, read and understand that word) way of playing not only portably, but also with a genuine SNK AES style control stick.

I don't condone emulation if the roms you use are not ones you've purchased. If you have an AES collection worth 40,000 dollars and you don't want to use your carts, I understand. Emulate. Good for you! But it's these people who don't own any of these systems, and who are telling "new" Neo Geo fans to emulate on a PSP instead.

At the end of the day, if you don't own a real Neo Geo system or carts, you have no right to pirate roms. You have no right to play them. And quite honestly, it's SNK's games. They can choose to release them however they damned well please. They aren't hurting anyone. Is an AES owner hurt by the NGX? No. No more than the Atari owner was hurt with the Flashback.

This has a market. And it isn't for the AES owner. But it certainly should not be hacked simply for the inclusion of "every" Neo Geo game because you're too cheap to buy them.

Again, if you own an AES. Fine. Seriously, I don't mind emulation if you own the real game. But if you're honestly too cheap to own an NGX, and hack on a PSP instead despite not owning any of the games, I find that deplorable. There are tons of people on the Neo Geo forum (and here to be honest) who don't own a single Neo Geo game, but they're pirating roms for their personal enjoyment.

New system or not, whatever your view is, it doesn't matter. It's SNK's property. It was in the early 90's, it is today. It's their choice to release this, but it's not hacker's legal permission to shove this system full of roms that they never paid for, either digitally or in cart form. I seriously can't believe I'm receiving so much slack for saying this. The NGX isn't for hackers either. I know forums have you believe that EVERY gamer who games is on a forum, and knows how to hack, and knows how (or has the lack of ethics to) pirate, but most gamers don't know this. Most gamers aren't on gaming websites or forums, and they sure as heck aren't hacking. This system serves a purpose to those masses. And honestly, SNK has every damned right to profit from their work.

This console was fanservice. And stealing from them as a response pretty much guarantees you that nice, official throw backs will never happen ever again. Enjoy pirating games with inferior control schemes. Because at this rate, if we keep stealing from companies, they'll just pull out and our hobby will be dead before long.

Are you serious with this? You're bitching about people hacking this piece of garbage when the makers of the system stole an existing emulator without permission and even had the nerve to leave unlicensed and likely illegal data on the emulator storage? Are you aware that the creator of the emulator did not give permission to Tommo/Blaze or SNK to use their emulator despite the fact that the emulator software is not licensed for resale and requires permission to use on a commercial basis? Are you also aware that there is unlicensed Sony IP that Tommo/Blaze left on the emulator because they were in such a hurry to get it out?

Even putting all of that aside, the video and audio output of both the handheld and the dock is terrible and the games are all censored. They also don't even have save enabled like the real versions do. You really need to take a step back and think about who and what it is you are supporting here. It sure isn't SNK since all they did is cash the check from Tommo/Blaze and walk away.

Edited by bojay1997
  • Like 8

So what if a bunch of people buy the NGX and hack it to play Neo Geo ROMs? If those people were into buying legit copies of SNK games, they would have already done it via any of the other options available for years. These days there are too many other options for playing legitimate Neo Geo games on other hardware, via both physical and digital purchases. Plus, other systems aren't restricted to only playing SNK titles.

If SNK is going to be financially destroyed because some freeloaders hacked the handheld, nothing anyone can do will save a company that fragile.

I was seriously hoping that the NGX would be a "Neo Geo on a chip," or some modernized version of the Neo Geo hardware, and not an emulation system. The Neo Geo hardware is far from high tech these days, and they should have been able to create a modern and extremely cost effective equivalent. They could have sold us flash packs with game collections, running legal licensed roms on "real" SNK hardware on a high quality 4:3 screen.

I would have bought a NGX if it was more than just another emulator. Remember, the Neo Geo offered superior hardware over the competitors at the time, superior hardware that offered a home gaming experience unavailable on the Genesis or SNES. The NGX does not offer superior hardware to any modern competitors, nor does it offer a superior gaming experience. This product is SNK and Neo Geo in name only -- the heart, quality, power, prestige, and awesomeness of those brands is missing from the NGX.

• Like 2

The NGX is a piece of shit, and a slap in the face of the "hard core neo geo fans" that the thing is supposedly marketed to. They made their profit on the initial sale. I don't give two shits what someone does with it once they have it. But then I also don't understand why someone would give so much of a shit about people using emulation to play games that they don't own.

Hey Daytona, how do you feel about used game sales? Would I be correct in assuming that you buy all of your games new? Not trying to start a flame war - it's an honest question.

Chris

• Like 1

Hey Daytona, how do you feel about used game sales? Would I be correct in assuming that you buy all of your games new? Not trying to start a flame war - it's an honest question.

This is a good point I think a lot of anti-ROM people don't consider. Whether you buy used games or download ROMs (of a long abandoned system) the original companies don't see any money. Yes you could argue used game shops may be losing money, but lets be honest this probably isn't the case. At least not significant enough to be measurable. My used game sales actually have gone up quite a bit since selling flash carts. This is probably because more people come to the site because of the flash carts.

• Like 1

What is cheap about it? Of course in this day and age, it's going to be emulated roms. No different than the Virtual Console at that point. What they are providing is a LEGAL (please, read and understand that word)

And YOU complain about sarcasm? lol. Thank you I am well versed in the concept of LEGAL. As much as I am aware of SNK abusing it to cash in on the classic gaming fan with an inferior device that does inferior emulation, it is obviously not as clear cut or one sided as you had hoped as you can see from the responses thus far. Not sure what kind of response you were expecting but sorry if they disappoint you.

Whether YOU condone the use of emulation / roms is no concern of mine but like it or not it DOES weigh in on the perceived value of what SNK is offering and you can bet SNK damn well knows it too because it is what they are attempting to cash in on and take a piece out of AS CHEAPLY AS POSSIBLE. Not sure why you view SNK as this amazing saviour of classic gaming and news flash, regarding someone playing SNK / Neo Geo titles in MAME or other emulation NOBODY GIVE A SH*T as much as you might like to believe otherwise.

The console is NOT fan service, if it was it would have included a better selection of titles as well as the ability to play you're own ROMS with better emulation and on sturdier more robust hardware WORTHY OF THE SNK BRANDING! Oh and as for your comment "whatever your view is, it doesn't matter." Well guess what? It matters about as much as YOUR view and your strict stance / opinion on the morality and legality of emulations / roms. Live by you're own standards but don't try to impose them on others.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 2

This is a good point I think a lot of anti-ROM people don't consider. Whether you buy used games or download ROMs (of a long abandoned system) the original companies don't see any money. Yes you could argue used game shops may be losing money, but lets be honest this probably isn't the case. At least not significant enough to be measurable. My used game sales actually have gone up quite a bit since selling flash carts. This is probably because more people come to the site because of the flash carts.

Right. Places like GameStop make money off of the work of others while giving them nothing.

Now before someone gets all straw-man on me, I am not saying that the used video game market justifies piracy. What I am saying is that there is very little difference between the two. Every once in a while, I see someone like this get up on their soap box and go off on people who illegitimately use ROMs or burn games, but NOT ONCE have I EVER heard anyone say "gee, it isn't right that we can buy and sell used games. Every used game sale costs the content originators money by robbing them of a sale." But from the perspective of the content creator and publisher, there is no distinction between the two. And when it comes to old games? Who gives a shit if I go buy a copy of "Zombies Ate My Neighbors" for the SNES, or if I just download the ROM and throw it on my Super Everdrive? Oh, I shouldn't do that just in case at some point whoever now owns that decides to re-release it somewhere? Please.

I don't pirate current-gen games which I can easily still buy new at the store. Once the game is no longer produced NEW, it's fair game to me.

Chris

• Like 4

@DaytonaUSA

I have no idea why this got you so riled up. Do you have a personal connection with the manufacturers or distributors of the Neo Geo X?

There are no other titles available for the NGX and the manufacturer has been very good at avoiding questions about when (if ever) new titles would be made available. At this time, they are losing absolutely $0 from people loading their own ROMs and gaining potentially quite a bit in hardware sales from all the free publicity they're getting (regardless of how crappy the hardware is). If they release new games and no one buys them because everyone's loading their own ROMs for free, then there's a valid concern. I personally have absolutely zero sympathy for them for the reason Bojay1997 mentioned above:

You're bitching about people hacking this piece of garbage when the makers of the system stole an existing emulator without permission and even had the nerve to leave unlicensed and likely illegal data on the emulator storage?

This +1000!!!

I can't begin to tell you how much this part of the whole situation pisses me off! It's a shame that nothing will likely stop this from occurring, as I doubt the FBA devs have the money to pay for the required legal fees.

• Like 3

Are you serious with this? You're bitching about people hacking this piece of garbage when the makers of the system stole an existing emulator without permission and even had the nerve to leave unlicensed and likely illegal data on the emulator storage? Are you aware that the creator of the emulator did not give permission to Tommo/Blaze or SNK to use their emulator despite the fact that the emulator software is not licensed for resale and requires permission to use on a commercial basis? Are you also aware that there is unlicensed Sony IP that Tommo/Blaze left on the emulator because they were in such a hurry to get it out?

Wow, that's just awesome of them. I did not know that.

• Like 1

it's interesting to see viewpoints that are contrary to what I consider common sense. DaytonaUSA however chooses to brand everyone elses opinion as wrong in the very label for this topic. Not a good start.

I look at ANY game system for how much utility and thus fun it can bring me. The NGX brings me less fun than my real NEO GEO. It doesn't have the flexibility as my Dingoo. It will never have a thriving homebrew community. It does not make me excite.

As a side OldSchoolRetroGamer deserves props for using a character from Xenon 2 in his Avatar. Me and my schoolmates had much fun with that game back in the day!

• Like 1