IGNORED

NGX: Disappointed...........with "gamers", not the system.

DaytonaUSA

What is cheap about it? Of course in this day and age, it's going to be emulated roms. No different than the Virtual Console at that point. What they are providing is a LEGAL (please, read and understand that word) way of playing not only portably, but also with a genuine SNK AES style control stick.

I don't condone emulation if the roms you use are not ones you've purchased. If you have an AES collection worth 40,000 dollars and you don't want to use your carts, I understand. Emulate. Good for you! But it's these people who don't own any of these systems, and who are telling "new" Neo Geo fans to emulate on a PSP instead.

At the end of the day, if you don't own a real Neo Geo system or carts, you have no right to pirate roms. You have no right to play them. And quite honestly, it's SNK's games. They can choose to release them however they damned well please. They aren't hurting anyone. Is an AES owner hurt by the NGX? No. No more than the Atari owner was hurt with the Flashback.

This has a market. And it isn't for the AES owner. But it certainly should not be hacked simply for the inclusion of "every" Neo Geo game because you're too cheap to buy them.

Again, if you own an AES. Fine. Seriously, I don't mind emulation if you own the real game. But if you're honestly too cheap to own an NGX, and hack on a PSP instead despite not owning any of the games, I find that deplorable. There are tons of people on the Neo Geo forum (and here to be honest) who don't own a single Neo Geo game, but they're pirating roms for their personal enjoyment.

New system or not, whatever your view is, it doesn't matter. It's SNK's property. It was in the early 90's, it is today. It's their choice to release this, but it's not hacker's legal permission to shove this system full of roms that they never paid for, either digitally or in cart form. I seriously can't believe I'm receiving so much slack for saying this. The NGX isn't for hackers either. I know forums have you believe that EVERY gamer who games is on a forum, and knows how to hack, and knows how (or has the lack of ethics to) pirate, but most gamers don't know this. Most gamers aren't on gaming websites or forums, and they sure as heck aren't hacking. This system serves a purpose to those masses. And honestly, SNK has every damned right to profit from their work.

This console was fanservice. And stealing from them as a response pretty much guarantees you that nice, official throw backs will never happen ever again. Enjoy pirating games with inferior control schemes. Because at this rate, if we keep stealing from companies, they'll just pull out and our hobby will be dead before long.

Like I said, Wii virtual console offers some of the best Neo Geo ROMs legally and does a better job emulating them than this thing does.

And also you don't have to be rich to own the right to play Neo Geo games. Did you forget how cheap Neo Geo CD and MVS carts could be?

whoa, that there is a novel.

I think the whole Neo Geo X is stupid. It is an emulator. why buy the emulator when you can get it for free? Also, really, when was the last time that anyone cared that Roms are illegal in some cases? If someone wanted the "legit" Neo Geo Experience, they would buy an MVS or AES, not a $100-$200 hunk of junk. From what I've heard it doesn't even emulate some games perfectly, and that's something that should be expected from hardware that costs as much as it does.

They are just cashing in on people with a name and old games. Why should I buy this system? What does it provide that I can't get elsewhere? Is the hardware worth as much as it is?

What is it bringing in the future? I can tell you what, old roms on a SD card, nothing else that we haven't seen before.

The system and future games will sell to the same people it was always going to, hard core collectors. Collectors who love to buy retro gaming things, new and old. The OP is acting like NGX is up against the 3DS or Vita. It's not even in the same galaxy. If the NGX folks thought they could sell beyond retro gamers, they were foolish to. Beyond the Neo Geo nostalgia, the price of the unit offers little to most gamers, who can get the same for less from other products.

The system and future games will sell to the same people it was always going to, hard core collectors. Collectors who love to buy retro gaming things, new and old. The OP is acting like NGX is up against the 3DS or Vita. It's not even in the same galaxy. If the NGX folks thought they could sell beyond retro gamers, they were foolish to. Beyond the Neo Geo nostalgia, the price of the unit offers little to most gamers, who can get the same for less from other products.

I don't know if its trying to appeal to "hardcore" Neo Geo collectors, those guys are probably buying the actual consoles or arcade machines. Really, I have no idea who its supposed to be appealing to.

I don't have a NGX and you may say that i need one to have a say on this but Daytona USA,this is a system that was made in a bad way.It does get some things right with the thumb stick and the option to play on the big screen but should someone pay $200.00 for the system and no games other than the ones on the system already are available?(not one stinking game is available to buy).With others similar systems like the Dingoo and the Wiz/Cannoo,you can play games off of a SD card and not only can they play the same games the NGX does,it offers other consoles too and more bang for your buck.sure your not getting the thumb stick and the SNK quality but i would rather shell out $150 for a Cannoo/Wiz than a NGX.Also the fans are not hacking the NGX because they don't want to pay money for 10+ games,it's because there are no games you can buy/play other than the games on the system.

It's just logic,if i bought a system that had 20 games built in but a month later no new games or a date for new games,sooner or later i'm gonna get bored of the games and i'm gonna hack the system.I mean the games are already made(they are Neo Geo AES/MVS games) so how long does it take to put previously made games on a cart?There not making the games from scratch like Nintendo,Sony and Microsoft are doing(i hope)

Edited by xDragonWarrior
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got one for Christmas, played it for about 1 day it broke on me. I took it back washed my hands of it and bought me another AES to fill the void. Best thing I did.

Now the game line up wasnt all that bad, I think they could have done better but I am sure there was legal issues or some sort of licensing issues they could not deal with. But hey since it was stolen software anyway why not the entire Neo Geo library minus Irritating stick/maze? Not like they couldnt have fit all those on the micro SD card/eprom.

Oh well I do not see it going anywere but down, it would be a cool piece to have on the shelf as the packaging looks great!