IGNORED

Rare first party controllers

shadow460

Wow, I have never seen that controller before. I want one as well! So, does that little switch in the middle allow for compatibility on an ntsc nes and a super famicom? That is what I am hoping.

Not exactly. Super Nintendo and SFC controllers are interchangeable, so there are no compatibility issues. the switch changes the controller from "Super Gameboy" mode to normal SFC mode. So that you could use it for regular SFC games, I guess. I think it just changes the button mapping.

Chris

Not sure a lot of the original (fat) XBox controllers are around.

They're all over the place in thrift stores, especially the ones in WA state where Microsoft is based.

I have the NES dogbone, LaserActive Genesis 6-button controller, CD-i control pad, dual analog playstation controller (only $7 at Pink Gorilla), and red Playstation controller. I'm not sure how common the original Classic Controller for Wii that Nintendo was sued over is, but it may be uncommon in the future.

Forgot about that one. I also have that Sony dual flightstick for PSX/PS2, along with a fishing reel controller for PSX/PS2.

What game(s) support the fishing reel controller? I have never before heard of such a thing (and, oddly, I now want one...)

As far as the PSX goes, the Dual Analog Controller or just "Analog Controller" (SCPH-1180) is the rarest first-party controller (that, or the "Analog Joystick," which seems to turn up more often). Back when I was into collecting for PlayStation, I rarely saw these pop up on eBay. The reason is that not many people know they're rare because they look so similar to the regular Dual Shock controller. The Dual Analog was available for a short time between the release of the original digital controller and the Dual Shock. Sometimes it's hard to tell from a photo whether the controller is a Dual Analog or a Dual Shock. The handles on the latter are elongated, but the recessed tops of the analog sticks are a giveaway. The LED also has three states, red, green, and off. I sold a few of these for between $20-$30 loose, but the prices are very volatile. If you're diligent, you can sometimes find one bundled with a fat PS1 for cheap on eBay. I even found one in a Goodwill. I managed to score a couple of NIB models a couple of years ago (below), which was exciting. It's my favorite Playstation controller.

post-30018-0-68343600-1359133773_thumb.jpg

As far as the PSX goes, the Dual Analog Controller or just "Analog Controller" (SCPH-1180) is the rarest first-party controller (that, or the "Analog Joystick," which seems to turn up more often). Back when I was into collecting for PlayStation, I rarely saw these pop up on eBay. The reason is that not many people know they're rare because they look so similar to the regular Dual Shock controller. The Dual Analog was available for a short time between the release of the original digital controller and the Dual Shock. Sometimes it's hard to tell from a photo whether the controller is a Dual Analog or a Dual Shock. The handles on the latter are elongated, but the recessed tops of the analog sticks are a giveaway. The LED also has three states, red, green, and off. I sold a few of these for between $20-$30 loose, but the prices are very volatile. If you're diligent, you can sometimes find one bundled with a fat PS1 for cheap on eBay. I even found one in a Goodwill. I managed to score a couple of NIB models a couple of years ago (below), which was exciting. It's my favorite Playstation controller.

There is one other giveaway. L2 and R2 have a raised lip across the top. There are at least four models of this controller. The two Japanese market models are gray and black and they have force feedback. One American model has the driver circuit for the force feedback but no motor. The other lacks even the circuit for it. There's no way to tell form the outside which is which.

Probably the easiest way to tell, though, is the sticks, or if the person can power the pad up, have them look for the green LED.

Oh, yeah, the Ultra Racer PC is pretty hard to get. I'm not sure there are first party PC controllers, though.

Edited by shadow460

I still need to find me a yellow Dreamcast controller (and VMU). I've been waiting to find one at somewhat less than eBay price ($40-ish) but never see them in shops or at gaming expos. BTW, Sega made a very similar fishing controller to the PS2 one. I have them both and both work pretty nifty. Keeping on Dreamcast, them Samba De Amiga maracas are pretty rare as well.

Wow, I have never seen that controller before. I want one as well! So, does that little switch in the middle allow for compatibility on an ntsc nes and a super famicom? That is what I am hoping.

No, it switch button functions between Super Gameboy and Super Famicom (SNES). See how the white buttons have two functions each? That's what it switches between.

I have a couple of those Sony Dual Analog controllers. Bought one right when it came out because I read about it in PSM and thought it sounded cool. Those are great controllers if you have larger hands, as they're bigger than Dual Shocks. Found the other one a few years ago at a used game store. They didn't know it was any different from a Dual Shock and had it priced accordingly.

What about that crazy Playstation dual flight stick thing? Dual Analog Joystick I think it's called.

Playstation-Dual-Analog-Joystick-Flight-Stick-1041428.jpg

I have two PS1 Duel Analogs and two PS1 Flightsticks, both great controllers. Still on the hunt for the PS2 Dual Analog.There is especially a unique undocumented feature for the Flightstick. You know how it only supports a limited amount of PS1 games? How about full analog control in a PS2 game and support for over 600 additional games in the Gamecube and Wii with a Mayflash adapter!

Page 1 of the guide for the PS1, Page 3 for the PS2 and Page four for the Flightstick.

SONY DUAL ANALOG Guide

http://www.racketboy...=217621#p217621

Edited by CRTGAMER

Dunno if I mentioned the Saturn Twin Stick. Due to its output, it's compatible with ANY Saturn game that allows you to custom map your own controls. The outputs are the same as simple key presses on a standard controller. I've played Virtual On with it, which has a special setup for the Twin Stick. I've also played Solar Eclipse and I've even played Command & Conquer with the thing!

As for size, the biggest behemoth period, first or third party, that I own is that Sony dual flight stick. It dwarfs most of my consoles, let alone other controllers. The second largest first party controller I have is the Saturn Twin Stick, which is about 2/3 the size of the Sony dual flight stick. I recall the Arcade Racer being pretty big, too. IMO, it was one completely useless mountain of plastic.

Didn't Sony make a single stick flight controller too?

Edited by shadow460