IGNORED

Interest/Price check - Commodore 64 Chevy Tech disk

Grig

I got this gem awhile back in a bunch of C64 disks when I traded some stuff with Black Bag. I am moving soon and have decided to sell a few things to help with the Uhaul cost so I wanted to see if anyone had any info on this disk. It's a great program that showcases the 1985 or 1986 line of Chevrolet cars and trucks, all in C64 graphics. I can't find a thing about it on eXtortion bay or the web. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. BTW - it loads fine.

post-30739-0-74063200-1359350512_thumb.jpg

- Jon

I've never seen this particular item, but a few years later (ca. 1990), GM released a PC disk with similar content. There was also some kind of trivia game on the disk.

You might try advertising this on whatever forums/sites car collectors frequent. There is a market for old automotive advertising materials and this would, presumably, appeal to the same audience.

I wonder if that floppy disk would be best loaded from an Indus GT drive? You know: "Looks like a Ferrari. Drives like a Rolls. Parks like a Beetle" although neither of those are Chevrolet or other GM brands.

It might be so that Chevrolet handed out several versions of that Chevy Tech floppy disk. At CommVEx 3 in March 2007, every attendee got a free copy of the 1988 Chevy Tech, while yours is 1985/86. Also in the beginning of 2011, a floppy disk of unknown age was sold on eBay for $22.72. So the actual value might be somewhere between $0 and $25, optimistically thinking.

• Like 1

By the way, there was a mention in COMPUTE! Gazette May 1986 about this floppy disk. It was sold for $3 when it was new, not sure if that amount just covered the postage costs.

There are some discussions elsewhere, including this thread on Lemon64 which leads to download links for at least one version. There even is mention of an Opel version (also GM brand, but mainly in Europe) but it is even more scarse than those Chevy Tech floppy disks.

The problem with stuff like this is that even though it's rare, it may not be desirable.

It's definitely a niche of a niche. I saw an 8-bit Ford dealer test drive simulator floppy disc sell for about $16 a few weeks back complete with folder and manual. I suspect a disc only thing like this would go for even less.