IGNORED

Legend of Zelda Master Quest - Today!

did they call you guys or did you take it upon your own merit to pick it up?

Well, I'm actually quite friendly with the manager of the local EB Games. (He hooked me up with the 1st and 3rd GCN retail demo discs - before I even had a GCN!) He let me know last week that the bonus discs were expected in on Monday. I happened to be in the area on that day, so I stopped in. It was in, but said he couldn't let me have my copy until Sunday unless somebody else jumped the gun first. (Since they could get a visit from the District Manager at any time, he didn't want any unaccounted for.) Wednesday he called to say it was okay to pick it up.

I was there within twenty minutes. :D

And where's the old couple now?

yeah, but they way i see it, i`m only giving them $5 that's going towards the Wind Waker. It doesn`t bother me to much. But i will be hopping mad if they gve my copy away. check the news for an employee of Software Etc. killed on sunday, just in case

Dag, I'm telling you buddy, it would be +illegal+ for them to give your copy away; let alone wrong for them to tell you it's an extra $5 to "make sure" you get it. Seriously, that's like the old "bait and switch" routine appliance stores used to pull where they'd advertise a cheap washer and dryer in the periodicals and then conveniently be "sold out" of it when you came in.. but we'll offer you this comparable one for $50 more. It's bullshit. If they try to make you pay $5 more for something you already reserved that you're already entitled to, get the store manager's full name and call the Software Etc. corporate offices and report him/her.

After talking to a manager of a gamestop on another forum, I think I have figured out why some people have gotten thiers early:

He said that Nintendo shipped the discs a week or two ago. Stores got them then. Nintendo told them not to distribute them until Feb 16. Some stores are really stupid, and have been selling them (thats right, selling them) for $10-$15. Mostly Walmarts and Kmarts. Some stores just gave them out early with pre-orders. He also told me that if he gave his out early his store would be fined by Nintendo or Gamestop.

Over 250,000 people have placed a pre-order so far. Hopefully Nintendo will continue this trend. We can only hope!

Well' date=' I don't know who did it, but someone in the Rochester area jumped the gun on handing out the Zelda bonus discs. That gave EB Games (where I pre-ordered) the go-ahead to do it too.

So I'm now about fifteen minutes into the "Master Quest" and it's pretty cool. Still the same basic game, just with more monsters to fight (so far mostly bats and Gohma eggs) and a few different puzzles to solve.

And the whole thing is High-Res, which can be a good thing (monsters and architecture look great) or a not-so-good thing (Link's hair looks odd as one big shiny clump).

Also playing "Ocarina of Time" with load times is weird, but only a minor nuisance. There's a slight pause when going to the map menu and sometimes when going from one area to another. There is also a new "memory card access" screen when you save. Otherwise, everything's just peachy!

The disc comes in a standard GameCube disc case (unlike those poor Japanese bastards who only got a booklet and envelope) and looks nice.

The only negative to the package I found was that there are no demos on the disc of other games, only movies. Ah, well. It's still the greatest pre-order bonus of all time...

My god, the energy of youth!

I gotta get going and didn't have time to read all the responses... but my disc has a 7-8 demos on it... especially of F-zero *DROOL*

The new OOT/URA disc is AWESOME. You guys/gals have to get it. It is wierd with the load times.... if you played OOT and Majoras as much as I did... you notice it a lot.

I compared versions N64 to the GCN... the are no "real" graphical updates... just everything is a little more clear :) More nice....

But does it seem like some frames are missing? anyone else notice this?>

I don't care if so, I still love it! Now I don't have to search for the URA Zelda on the 64 Disk Drive :)

†B†V†

But does it seem like some frames are missing?  anyone else notice this?

No, it's just that Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask run at around 20-24 frames per second. If you've been playing your GameCube a lot, you probably are noticing the lower frame rate, as most GCN games run at at least 30 fps and often as much as 60.

Now I don't have to search for the URA Zelda on the 64 Disk Drive :)

You'd have never found it. Despite innacurate reports to the contrary (especially in Game Store ads - "released only in Japan!"), "Ura Zelda" was never released anywhere prior to the Japanese bonus GCN disc.

Ted, come in here a minute.

actually... there have been a few URA Zelda leaked.

They are hard to find.  yes, there was not a mass release.  but there are some out there. :)

Hard to find might be an understatement :)

†B†V†

Yeah, if they are out there, they'd be prototypes and so outside the range of standard collecting. There was no proper release of any kind. Also, remember that those DD disks were writeable, so it might not be too hard to fake one with the right tools.

I'm so happy you feel this way, Wingate.

They should have done this with Metroid Prime,all three older games on one disc.

Also with the upcoming F Zero they could put the SNES and N64 one,or even better the hard to find N64DD level editor.

Time to pray..... :ponder:

They only did it this time because it was included as a pre-order for the Japanese and the US audience found out about it. Unless they plan another such promotion over there, we're SOL.

They only did it this time because it was included as a pre-order for the Japanese and the US audience found out about it.  Unless they plan another such promotion over there, we're SOL.

The big change here is Nintendo of Japan deciding to do the release. Nintendo of America has always been more market saavy (such as rejecting the DD, demanding black as a launch GCN color, etc.). They saw the reaction the Japanese release got and quickly decided to do it themselves (and do it better, IMHO).

While I certainly don't expect these kinds of releases all the time, I'd be surprised if similar things weren't done in the future, now that they've seen how powerful it can be.

250,000 pre-ordered before the program even begins is a significant statement...

We are waiting, oh spirits of the dark world beyond.

250,000 pre-ordered before the program even begins is a significant statement...

I agree; but here's hoping they are smart enough to realize that and apply it in the future. Some much more "blatant" statements in the past have been ignored altogether by none-too-wise gaming executives.

Okay, I'm PISSED. I went to preorder Zelda at a GameStop a couple of weeks ago. The stoopid punk working there informed me preorders were $15, if you wanted a CHANCE to get the bonus disc. He claimed they were oversold on the bonus disc orders, and could not guarantee I'd get one. This put me in a panic, and after checking with some other stores, it seemed Best Buy online was the 'safest' way to go.

Of course this weekend I see stacks of the damn bonus discs at Target, and Best Buy has them in the stores. Now I have to wait, and hope, for my bonus disc from Best Buy in the mail. Grrrr.... :x (note to self: never go to Game Stop EVER again).

Okay, I'm PISSED.  I went to preorder Zelda at a GameStop a couple of weeks ago.  The stoopid punk working there informed me preorders were $15, if you wanted a CHANCE to get the bonus disc.  He claimed they were oversold on the bonus disc orders, and could not guarantee I'd get one.  This put me in a panic, and after checking with some other stores, it seemed Best Buy online was the 'safest' way to go.  

Of course this weekend I see stacks of the damn bonus discs at Target, and Best Buy has them in the stores.  Now I have to wait, and hope, for my bonus disc from Best Buy in the mail.  Grrrr....   :x  (note to self: never go to Game Stop EVER again).

Sorry Dan. :( It seems some stores are going out of their way to scam people about this Zelda bonus disc. Hell, from what I've seen, there's no shortage whatsoever. The EB in the mall had a whole box full. Not only did I get mine last Thursday, but my wife had a friend's receipt and picked up +HIS+ pre-order on Sunday; and they +still+ had tons. Anybody who could told they "might or might not" get it if they pre-ordered, or that they had to pay an extra $5 to "make sure" they could get it got fed a big crock o' sh!t. :(

i was really surprised they packaged it just like a store bought game. Instructions, memory card slot, everything.

So far, i`ve got all the gold skultula's as young link except for three, and what is in dodongo's cavern. And i`m working on heart pieces now.

Master quest shure is fun, but i haven`t had to use a guide for any of the levels so far. That's saying much more than OoT. I wish they had more changes, but ohh well.

Those cows in Jabu Jabu are kind freaky, huh??