IGNORED

Jag Development Resources

Hyper_Eye

I looked through the old post's and I have found a post asking about Jaguar Development resources... guides and such to help understand the architecture better. I hate to ask this question again but the post is from '01 and some of the links are dead. I was wondering if there is any new resources that would come in handy as well as locations to well-known resources that may have moved to a new site. I have been developing PC applications for past couple of years. For the past year I have been developing Linux/Unix applications for the government on defense contracts. Though it is good money it is not what I want to do and I hope it is not what I make a career out of. I actually want to make consumer software... in particular desktop applications and games. Of course desktop applications are all PC and I am already well into a few projects which I will be announcing in some time (they are Linux desktop applications though I do have plans for Window's ports... Linux will be my focus.) When it comes to game development my main interest is not in PC's but in consoles as I feel that is the true way to enjoy a game. I have gone a little into game development but have never worked on a full project due to the time I spent on desktop application development. I was talking to a friend about my interest in starting a full-fledge game project (he does not even own a jag by the way) and he told me since my love is the Jaguar then I should start there. I know it may be more difficult to develop on than say XBox as XBox development is so close to PC development using DirectX but the SDK is not freely available for it and on Jaguar I can actually release a game as a commercial product or as a download (depending on the size of the project and the amount of time it takes to complete.) Anyway... I just thought I would go into why I am interested and the experience I have with software development.

If anybody can help me out and point in the direction of some good info I would definitely appreciate it.

Hi Hyper

Lars Hannig (Starcat) has a CD of the documentation, coding utils and demo codes. He's your man. It used to be available for download until some lousy rat messed up this for Lars and hence everybody.

The site you need is:

www.atari-jaguar64.de

Cheers

Perhaps someone out there has some web space available they could give to Lars so he can put his site back up. It sure would be awesome to have some central place for all Jaguar developers to hang out and exchange ideas and download the tools and samples!

Well... I run a Linux server on my network which stays on 24/7 (as all my machines do) and it's main purpose is web pages. It's not any T1 or greater line though and my bandwidth usually sits around 1450/245.

If that is acceptable I would be happy to host it free of charge.

Hmm... I was wondering what kind of game the Jag needs. I know there is nor RPG's really but that requires a lot of plot and character build-up and that's just really not my thing. I was thinking of something along the lines of a FPS. Something a little faster pace than what is currently available and with current play styles... CTF, Standard Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Laser-Tag and so on. Of course I would want to make a game like that networkable and will want to make it as compatible with both the Jaglink and Jaglink2 as possible. There would also have to be a single-player aspect... which I think could be achieved in a UT fasion. Of course it will be a while before I really have anything under way but it would be nice to know what I'm working towards. I know most people have a bit more interest towards classic gaming but I think a Jag game with a modern flavor would be nice to have on the Jag. Think anybody would be interested?

It sure would be awesome to have some central place for all Jaguar developers to hang out and exchange ideas and download the tools and samples!

I have a box sitting behind half a T1 on which I'd be willing to host such a site. I'll volunteer to create the website, too, if needed.

Hmm... I was wondering what kind of game the Jag needs.

I've been thinking about buying Lars' CD and trying my hand at Jaguar development. The project I've been kicking around is a multiplayer side-scrolling beat-'em-up. Say, 1-4 players (with Team Tap, 1-2 without), a variety of digitized characters to choose from, different weapons, sense of humor, that sort of thing. Something that would be fun to play cooperatively with a few friends.

I recently bought the cd from Lars, and I must say, it was well worth the money, with everything that's on there. It would be great if people did buy the cd from him instead of waiting for the stuff to be put up for free again, Lars deserves the money for all the effort he's put into it and the Jaguar community (with the game he's developing and all too). Buy the cd, it's worth it :!:

Hi Guys !

Thanks a lot, Gunstar. :D

I'm glad you like the CD.

The most important tools and docs are still online (assembler, linker etc. and dev manual v8). It took me quite some effort to collect all the files over the time. For example buying the original dev manual and scanning it page by page took ages. ;)

So I would like to keep it the way it is.

I think everybody who is serious about Jaguar coding and who is interested in the files on the CD won't mind to buy it.

And all the others that are not serious, don't need the files anyway.

For those who wonder why the price is €15, shipping and packaging for the CD with air mail to the USA costs me €10 already. Then add the cost for a cd case, the CDR and additional costs (like paypal fee).

So I guess the price of €15 incl. international shipping is a fair price if you consider what's on the CD.

Regards, Lars.

Well... don't post anything off the cd... just your own stuff... wouldnt want to take away all Starcat's sales...

Umm.... the CD contains mostly stuff that was written by Atari. Starcat doesn't OWN the Atari Development Tools. I'd hate to see yet another developer getting credit for other people's work.

I'm sure the CD is useful and hope Lars does well with it, but putting things on a CD doesn't grant him any rights to it. If

I wanted to put Atari sample code on my site I will do so.

I don't want to step on Starcat's toes; I've been thinking about putting some of the material from the CD online, thereby leaving the CD available for those who need the full wealth of information it contains. I'll know more when the CD arrives on my doorstep, but I think I should put online the basics needed for a simple development setup plus some source code and demos. Tools, libraries, and source written by Starcat wouldn't be put on this website without permission.

I don't want to step on Starcat's toes; I've been thinking about putting some of the material from the CD online, thereby leaving the CD available for those who need the full wealth of information it contains.  I'll know more when the CD arrives on my doorstep, but I think I should put online the basics needed for a simple development setup plus some source code and demos.  Tools, libraries, and source written by Starcat wouldn't be put on this website without permission.

Of course! Just check the oweners to see if you can put anything up. For all we know, Lars is looking for people who want to take over hosting all those development files and the CD is just a way to keep the files available while he's looking for a place for hosting them! Lars is one of the more dedicated jag fans out there.

Well... don't post anything off the cd... just your own stuff... wouldnt want to take away all Starcat's sales...

Umm.... the CD contains mostly stuff that was written by Atari. Starcat doesn't OWN the Atari Development Tools. I'd hate to see yet another developer getting credit for other people's work.

I'm sure the CD is useful and hope Lars does well with it, but putting things on a CD doesn't grant him any rights to it. If

I wanted to put Atari sample code on my site I will do so.

I'm not crediting anybody with someone else's work... I am simply crediting him with getting this information together. Use some smiley's man... be cheerful... :) :D 8) :| ... That way you don't let off a "Don't be an idiot" vibe when you make informative posts such as the one above.

• 2 weeks later...
It sure would be awesome to have some central place for all Jaguar developers to hang out and exchange ideas and download the tools and samples!

Ostensibly, that place is now online.

www.jagdev.org

There's not much to the site right now; downloads are very limited for the time being, and I'm the only registered user at this time. ..

Ostensibly, that place is now online.

www.jagdev.org

There's not much to the site right now; downloads are very limited for the time being, and I'm the only registered user at this time. ..

I like the look of the site. It's very nicely laid out and easy to navigate! Great job!!!