IGNORED

Jag Development Resources

Hyper_Eye

After some thought on what I want to do for the jag I have decided I would like to work on a game unlike any game the jag has. That means I will not be working on a platform game, fps, puzzle, etc. I have decided that I am interested in creating a game similar to Dune2000 (it will be all original of course and the story will be nothing similar to that of Dune.) I want the environment to be similar to Dune which is dark and isolated but I would like the gameplay to be sort of in-between Dune and C&C. Of course... I do not have all the details in the works but I am building ideas and working on a bit of story line. I am sure I will throw away my story line quite a few times before finishing. I will want the story-line to be perfect.

I remember playing Dune2 back in the DOS days and I have been a fan of that style of gameplay since. I based my decision to work on a game similar to Dune on the idea that I want to bring something to the Jag that you can't find in another Jag game. Please give me your input on this idea.

I will not be making any more announcements about my game idea until I have at least something to demonstrate. The only other thing that I will be writing about it before then is when I announce that I will be looking for an artist and someone who can do modeling. I am no artist and I will not be able to handle that part. I am a musician so I will be able to handle music and hopefully sounds. Please do not e-mail or ask to be involved now. I will ask when I am ready.

If you have never seen Dune2000 and do not know what type of game I am talking about please take a look at these screenshots here:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/shots/gameId,331/

Look at the screenshots for the gameplay as opposed to the video shots. They used live video for those and I won't be do anything like that. It's not that I don't think the Jag can handle it... I do not have the resources to do that.

Anyway... let me know what you guys think. I am trying to decide what method I want to use to develop. In the meantime I will be working on familiarizing myself with the Motorola chip.

I do understand that some of you will doubt that this project will even be started but rest assured... I am a software developer and have full intention of beginning and finishing this project. Look at my original post in this thread to see my experience. Despite that... I have based my decision not to make announcements on my project until something is able to be demonstrated as to keep flaming to a minimum. Feel free to flame though... I don't mind.

That over the top view, is that kind of like Interplay's Waterworld? I really like that kind of a game. Jurassic Park on the SNES I thought was a great mix of over the top and 3D and I thought the game was really fun.

Anyway, a game similiar in playstyle to Waterworld or War, Inc. on the Jag would be :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good luck on your project.

Cool just be sure to implent mouse support :-)

Peter

LoL... create a Jagmouse and I will be sure to support it.

Hmmm....We may be onto something here. Stone, I nominate you....Put this baby together! :)

Jason

Didn't Matthias already do this?

He did? How did I miss that...I'm going to go check his web-site... Cool..

Jason

Jason

Yep, digital mouse hacked to work on the Jag (presumably by pulsing the up/down/left/right inputs, I've not studied it closely as I don't have one of these mice. I still think PS/2 would be better :D

Stone

Hello,

i am quoting this mail because i just love the tunnel-effect:

Peter

Hmmm....We may be onto something here. Stone, I nominate you....Put this baby together! :)

Jason

Jason

Building the DigitalMouse-Adaptor was one of my first Jaguar-hardware-projects (i think in 1996).

It's possible that i mixed up X- and Y-axis there, but the software (colmouse.jag) handles it properly.

Also a 74LS244 should be added (or the mouse should run "through" a real Jaguar-Joypad) to better integrate it into the standard Joypad-reading "mechanism", also the use/wiring of the buttons (Hello Stone!).

Best regards

Matthias

PS: Recently Mouse-support was integrated into the Contiki-OS,

but till now i wasn't able to update the Jaguar-port.

Hello,

i am quoting this mail because i just love the tunnel-effect:

Peter

Jason

Jason

Building the DigitalMouse-Adaptor was one of my first Jaguar-hardware-projects (i think in 1996).

It's possible that i mixed up X- and Y-axis there, but the software (colmouse.jag) handles it properly.

Also a 74LS244 should be added (or the mouse should run "through" a real Jaguar-Joypad) to better integrate it into the standard Joypad-reading "mechanism", also the use/wiring of the buttons (Hello Stone!).

Best regards

Matthias

Hmm... I will definitely look more into this. I believe this game would be much better with a mouse. Of course I will want to support the standard joypad. But... if I find that implementing mouse support is acceptable then I will consider doing so. It seems anyone that would want to use the mouse would need to make their own... maybe a guide could be written up... or maybe if a game is made for the Jag that supports the mouse someone will think about making a batch and selling them.

The gun thing still irks me ;)

Cool, I'll look forward to that...maybe add a 'screen keyboard' for people with a mouse but no keyboard...ok, I'll stop with the suggestions now, you have more than enough from me ;)

Stone