IGNORED

Alas - it looks like GAUNTLET does not exist

DracIsBack

TrekMD found this good interview that brings some bad news and also some good news. It appears that all those magazines which claimed GAUNTLET was being developed for the 7800 back in the day are wrong. :-( Straight from the horse's mouth

http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/index.php?topic=1816.msg21615#msg21615.

The good news though, is that there's a 7800 DEFLEKTOR prototype out there. So one game lost, one game found.

Maybe we'll get lucky and an electrocop prototype will surface.

For fun, I attached an article from a while back talking about GAUNTLET

post-1046-0-18314200-1359997638_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Banking on Groovy's 'Dungeon' for the XM to fill the gap. Much like the original DK on the 7800 disappointed a little to a lot for most...Perry's Donkey Kong XM is more than making up for it.

No Gauntlet (And it likely would have been lackluster if it did exist - especially without POKEY support), will be made up by Dungeon (Fingers crossed and rabbit's foot rubbed :grin: )

Hide this Drac; hide it. Bury it. Don't promote it. The guy says he had a pee next to Jack. If the internet gets ahold of this by this time next week he will have had a pee on Jack. Then, a week later, Jack will have had a pee on him.

I can already see it: "Man, the Tramiels were horrible. That main guy, what was his name? Nolan. Nolan Tramiel. Yeah, him. Some guy was making Gauntlet and Mission Impossible for the 7800 and Nolan had a pee on him. He was like 'stop making games for the 7800! We make computers now!' Then he flushed the 7800 down the toilet.

Guy making that game? A guy who went on to make games like the Legend of Zelda for Nintendo. You might have heard of him: Super Mario."

Edited by Atarifever
  • Like 1

Just curious, why do you put game titles in all-caps? It's akin to screaming the game title in mid-conversation, but that's just me I guess.

I think it's time we moved past this. Caps should be emphasis and screaming should be an exclamation point (just one). It does away with all that rich text stuff entirely. No need for underlining, italics, or bolding. No need for mid-rant font changes. Simple, fast, and easy. Works in text messages, Facebook updates, Twitter feeds, everything. Rich text is a million years ago. I use it myself only so I don't have to answer to charges like these.

Edited by Atarifever
  • Like 1

Habit. And I'm not the only one

I recall seeing it a lot in older games/programming where you could not use quotes or/and it was the practice.

Think Scott Adams text based adventure titles or some other 'two word command' text based games (Infocom).

I believe they denoted all names or/and titles in uppercase letters.

I think it's time we moved past this. Caps should be emphasis and screaming should be an exclamation point (just one). It does away with all that rich text stuff entirely. No need for underlining, italics, or bolding. No need for mid-rant font changes. Simple, fast, and easy. Works in text messages, Facebook updates, Twitter feeds, everything. Rich text is a million years ago. I use it myself only so I don't have to answer to charges like these.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 years later...

So that information was so important to add it justified the necromancy of thread that died 3 years ago? :?

internet rule #22: never necrobump an ancient thread.

Internet rule #23: never start another thread for a subject that already has an existing thread.

Internet rule # 24: just don't post anything, ever.

• Like 4

internet rule #22: never necrobump an ancient thread.

Internet rule #23: never start another thread for a subject that already has an existing thread.

Internet rule # 24: just don't post anything, ever.

No wonder the robots rebelled.

• Like 1

Sorry my mistake. I was browsing the forum and clicked a link in another current thread and didn't bother to check the date before posting. Carry on... :dunce:

Meh. Who cares about the necrobumping?

Necrobumps are fun because they sometimes revive old discussions or bring forward threads that people missed the last time. Don't sweat it. I had fun reading an article I missed last time.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

So, is there a Gauntlet-type game being developed? Dungeon Stalker is not much like it at all.

Well, 2600 Dark Chambers was hacked to play more like Gauntlet. I imagine something similar could be done with the 7800 version. But then again, I'm no programmer.

Wow...looks awesome. :)

It was one of the earliest xm games to be made. Sadly none of Marks 7800 work may never be finished.

The first game completed after the XM was in the works was Super Circus Atari Age it was to detect Xm and allow pokey background music without having a pokey chip.

The saddest of news I can see is Mr. 7800 Bob Decrescenzo is making a....ah ah...NES cough cough choke... game...Frenzy.. It looks great but being a die hard Atari 8 bit console/computer fan I almost broke my phone when I seen it.. Please do not make me buy an NES! :(

Maybe Mario has him in a room making NES games as torture for years of Atari loyalty?

Well, 2600 Dark Chambers was hacked to play more like Gauntlet. I imagine something similar could be done with the 7800 version. But then again, I'm no programmer.

A huge factor in making that hack possible was the commented disassembly for the original game.

I'm guessing there isn't one for the 7800. But even so, a simple graphics hack wouldn't be a bad start.