IGNORED

My junior is trash...

Ok,, so now i finally appreciate all the hard work that went into the heavy suckers 4 and 6 switches. The junior from ebay arrived today. Big holes in plastic and rattling inside. I opened it to fix it and I made it even worse. The bottom i s all cracked and big holes in the front. To be fair it was untested but that is the risk you taker sometimes. I just wanted the archer joystick with it however and stiff not bad just for that.

Anyhow I'm not getting any video. But the red light is on when I press power. Can I assume the red light means its a good motherboard. Or is it junk now and not even for 5 bucks as good board or spare parts. My sears works. So its not my adapter and I used a regular rca video cable as suggested.

Untested doesn't mean run over. The light just means you have power. It doesn't even mean that the power is good enough to run the machine, just that at least 2 volts is present. Do you get sound? Is the video black, or weird lines? When you look at the tv does it look different when the atari is powered on?

Do you have a multi-meter? The easiest thing to test, is to see if there is enough power. If you measure on the 7805. It's a little block with a metal tab. It will be near the power cord. Measure the power from the middle leg to each of the other legs. One side should be about 9v. The other leg should be 4.95 to 5.15 volts.

IMG_0895.JPG

This is the unit. 7805 is not next to the power in the back. It is lower left. Sorry if its a little blurry but my iphone 3gs is not the best, Anyhow if I use this view and plug in my ac adapter I get a red light. If I use the "v with the ~" and "200" setting on my meter I get 15.5v. That is if I use blsck probe on center and red as right leg. If I use black as center and red as left leg I get 10.1v.

Do you have a multi-meter? The easiest thing to test, is to see if there is enough power. If you measure on the 7805. It's a little block with a metal tab. It will be near the power cord. Measure the power from the middle leg to each of the other legs. One side should be about 9v. The other leg should be 4.95 to 5.15 volts.

I'm an ELET major. Use the 20V DC setting. It highlights "20" in white on your model. If you set the multimeter on AV volts to test a DC source, the reading will be garbage. If you use ohms, a low voltage will give you garbage results, and a high voltage could destroy the meter. In the image, the component you are trying to test is the voltage regulator. It is circled in red. The three red dots are where it connects to the motherboard. Try not to touch the probes to each other while testing or you'll cause a short. The voltage between the center and one leg will be close to 9V, and the voltage between the center and the other leg will be close to 5V.

I had to replace the regulator and the green "chicklet" capacitor on my Atari due to fuzzy interferance.

It looks like the PCB is in decent condition. Rather than throw it away, why not sell it to someone at Atariage for spare parts? Someone may enjoy fixing it up or using it for parts or mods. $10 sounds like a good offer for a non-working unit. You seem to be a novice at electronics, so it may not be worth your time to attempt to fix it, but don't just dump it in the bin.

post-33189-0-38187000-1360657438_thumb.jpg