IGNORED

If you had to pick one system to keep...

DesertJets

NES...why? Too much to write...but very tough decision. It's only between the NES and the VCS, with me...and I think that over time the VCS games might just get a lil too long in the tooth. With the NES I get most of the retro stuff in the form of older arcade hits, plus a good dose of RGSs (not my thing really but some are fun) and so many great action adventure games that never seem to get old.

NES, yup.

The gamecube is my most played system. I also have a Wii, but I just like the gc. I like the design, the weird small discs, controllers, sturdiness, boot-time, simplicity, games (most important).

If the system in question has to be a classic, older one it would be a lot harder, and there are still a few consoles for me to be discovered (like turbografx-cd). Also, I play a few systems I dont own through emulation (msx, snes, genesis). Looking at classic hardware I actually own (Atari XL, Amiga, Lynx, Vectrex, Jaguar, Turbo Express, Colecovision, gbc), I would probably pick the Turbo Express, since the hardware just fascinates me. Ok, I find the library a bit quirky, but there are some nice games and ports (and a great version of sokoban :)). And the small form-factor lets me play it on the couch while my gf is watching TV.

Edited by roland p
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is a tough one for a lot of people I'm sure. Collectors that love the original hardware and carts would probably have the most difficulty with this.

I'm not into game consoles and carts so much so that simplifies things for me.

I love to program the old 8 bit computers more than playing or collecting games so a lot of what I do is cross development but I still like to test on the original hardware.

If I can keep a modern PC I can do anything I like to do with emulation and use my DE1 FPGA development board to emulate real hardware.

I think the best FPGA implementations to date have been for CoCo 3, C64, Spectrum, Amiga, MSX, and PC.

Dozens of other computers and game machines have gotten to the It runs point but are not quite as complete but I think they will be in time

I might also use the tiny Android based machine I just bought and emulation to replace machines though I might switch the OS to Linux.

If I do that I might even be able to part with my PC, I just wouldn't want to.

Edited by JamesD

It would be a three way tie between the Genesis, SNES, and NES. The SNES would be the first to go and I couldn't pick between the NES or Genesis. Today its the NES.

I'd have a harder time choosing between the SNES and Genesis. The NES has a massive library in terms of both quality and quantity, and had no equal in its own time. The SNES and Genesis had a great deal of crossover between the two systems, but also a lot of games unique to each. Choosing between those two is like choosing between pizza or chicken wings... they're both awesome, and even though you might prefer one today, tomorrow you might be in a very different mood.

It'd be hard for me to drop my Atari, Dreamcast, Playstation, and Wii... but it would be near IMPOSSIBLE for me to drop any of the three you mentioned.

Whoever this hypothetical, retrogamer/burglar is that's robbing us but allowing us to keep our favorite system really isn't that bad of a guy. On top of letting us pick, once we all have one console, we'll have to go over to our friends and neighbours houses to play the others. It would really make our places of residence more of a community. And what if he's really just interested in cleaing up our clutter? Perhaps next week he'll slip in quietly and wake us with the cold steel of his shotgun pressed against our temple before whispering, "What are your top 10 movies?"

And surely this guy isn't going to have much personal use for a hundred PS1's. He's probably donating them to the less fortunate. A gaming Robin Hood. He's probably down at the orphanage right now giving a down-on-her-luck girl some tips on how beat on her newish, slightly stolen Atari.

• Like 1

PC platform, with emulation if allowed.

Otherwise Apple II+ or Apple //e

He said "retro gaming/computing", so I'm guessing that you could still have your modern computer, and that could emulate almost everything.

With that being said, I'd stick to my SNES, as its annoying to emulate (Sound issues and co-processor issues such as Super FX games not running at the correct speed) and its my first system and I've had it as long as I can remember.

The question is easy. Anything with quality emulation will do. You can't be a purist and a survivalist as well.

My personal pick would be the PSP. Good games on its own (which can be ripped to a memory card.) It has many good, accessible emulators second only to the XBOX. I'm turning my own PSP 2000 unit into a stand alone console with a component to VGA out adapter and a wireless joystick. There are dual tf to pro duo adapters so I can get 64gb of storage.

I recently did just this. I replaced my XBOX 360 with a PSP. The wireless joystick turned out to be a giant dud so I had to go tethered. A 24 foot component cable runs from the living-room table to a VGA convertor. I can sit on the couch and play 2600, NES, SNES, Genesis, INTV, Playstation, PSP games and more on the big screen.

No regrets here. With the graphics upscaling, save states and overclocking the emulators are much better than the real thing. The PSP truly IS the one system to rule them all.

• Like 2

SNES

It's the only system I promised myself I wouldn't sell. I bought it off a friend for my Christmas present in 1996 as a lot and I still own every piece of it. Everything else comes and go's but the SNES has always been there. Now that my kids are old enough all they want to play is the "monkey game" (Donkey Kong 3) and that makes it a little more special.