IGNORED

If you had to pick one system to keep...

DesertJets

Probably the PS2. It has a HUGE library, and it plays the PS1 HUGE library. Together, just about every genre of console game is covered!

(1) Modern-style 1st-person shooters.

(2) Modern-style racing, in any sub-category.

(3) Classic arcade compilations (both PS1/PS2) that - in totality - are pretty extensive.

(4) A few classic console compilations (2600, INTV, Sega)

(5) Modern-style fighting (Tekken, Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter)

(6) Fun light-gun games (Namco stuff, PS1 stuff)

(7) RPGs

"If stranded on a desert island," I think it covers as many genres as anything else, and there are a LOT of good games.

My PS3 is backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2.

Anyway, this type of question reminds me of questions like,"If you could only save either your mom or your dad then who would you save?" The question is too hard.

• Like 1

The question is easy. Anything with quality emulation will do. You can't be a purist and a survivalist as well.

My personal pick would be the PSP. Good games on its own (which can be ripped to a memory card.) It has many good, accessible emulators second only to the XBOX. I'm turning my own PSP 2000 unit into a stand alone console with a component to VGA out adapter and a wireless joystick. There are dual tf to pro duo adapters so I can get 64gb of storage.

I'm currently downsizing my collection so that I can move interstate and take only what can fit in my car. Meaning that I have a LOT of consoles on the way out of my house. While I haven't been able to narrow it down to one console, atm I'm only keeping my SNES, my Dreamcast, and my 2600.

I just got rid of my NES collection the other day, and damn that hurt to get rid of it.

I'd probably go for GBA. It's got a wide range of games in genres I like, was the 'last stand' for 16-bit style gaming, and had some pretty decent examples of somewhat more modern styles too. Good amount of hacks/homebrews as well. I like that it's gaming distilled down to its most basic parts--especially compared to more modern systems. No over-complexity here.

As a bonus, that gaming juggernaut fits into the palm of my hand. With the later generation of flash carts, most of its library does too.

I'm not going to go into the emulation or backwards-compatibility aspects, because I don't generally do either.

Not surprisingly, my choice of GBA also fits into threads for 'my favorite system' and 'system I have the most impressive collection of.' I should probably do a photo thread for it in the showoff forum someday.

Edited by Reaperman

I do have a reason for poo-pooing emulation. What my point is that there has to be a reason why you would choose a single system to keep. Whether it be an emotional attachment, or whether it satisfies a specific collecting bug, or you think the games are the best, etc.... Emulation sort of skirts that too easily, it allows you to still have it all without thinking about why any particular system is best for you.

Even I am cheating a bit here in picking the SNES since the Super Game Boy opens up another library. Same thing with everyone who picked the Colecovision (though I don't think anybody mentioned keeping it along with the VCS expansion module) or the Genesis folks picking it so they can also play SMS, Sega CD and 32x games.

I am choosing to take a console AND a PC, because it really isn't right to narrow it all down since the two types of gaming are fairly different.

So, I would take my Turbo Grafx-16+CD and my DOS computer.

How else am I supposed to play Ultima VII.

With the Dreamcast you can emulate all the rest. Problem solved. Plus, you can make new Dreamcast games if so inclined.

You can make new games for any system.

I am choosing to take a console AND a PC, because it really isn't right to narrow it all down since the two types of gaming are fairly different.

So, I would take my Turbo Grafx-16+CD and my DOS computer.

How else am I supposed to play Ultima VII.

You can make new games for any system.

No disrespect intended, but, most cannot program assembly or C. Dreamcast has BennuGD which is based off of DIV Games Studio - an early game maker. Also, no flash cart or special hardware is needed to test games as the Dreamcast can take CDRs.

If I could keep only one system, I wouldn't have collected a hundred of them to begin with.

I do think about this often though, as I think my days of being a "hardcore" collector are behind me. I just don't really care that much anymore, and I don't have much time for it anyway. I haven't even used a 2600 in three months, an Intellivision in almost a year, a 5200 in almost 2 years, Odyssey 2 in 6 months...and those are some of my favorite systems. A good chunk of games I own (mostly Genesis games), I've never even played. Some things like my TRS-80 Model II need repairs that I'm confident I'll never get around to doing. I think about how much space I'd clear up in my house and how much money I could make to put toward other things.

And yet, I'd miss them if I sold them off. There's something weirdly comforting about knowing that if I want to play something and can take the time to do it, it's there.

• Like 7

No disrespect intended, but, most cannot program assembly or C. Dreamcast has BennuGD which is based off of DIV Games Studio - an early game maker. Also, no flash cart or special hardware is needed to test games as the Dreamcast can take CDRs.

Turbo Grafx-CD can read CDRs.

:)

Turbo Grafx-CD can read CDRs.

:)

..but it has no easy, high level languages to make games in. We're talking about average joe who grew up with MS BASIC. His wife has finally won the war for his soul and told him to clean the garage and keep just one system.

C and assembly developers don't have wives. They have coproccessors that feed sub-units.

• Like 1

Emulation isn't really the spirit of the question, so I'm not considering that. I would like to say PS2, but then, this is the classic gaming forum and even though the PS2 is "old" I still personally think of it as a modern system. It certainly has an amazing library.

I'd go Genesis. It's not my favorite classic system, but there are tons of gems in every genre. Hard to beat that variety. 7800, Intellivision and NES were also in the running...

Edited by BydoEmpire

I do have a reason for poo-pooing emulation. What my point is that there has to be a reason why you would choose a single system to keep. Whether it be an emotional attachment, or whether it satisfies a specific collecting bug, or you think the games are the best, etc.... Emulation sort of skirts that too easily, it allows you to still have it all without thinking about why any particular system is best for you.

Baaaaaggghhhhh! Why bother thinking in the first place. Just accumulate more and more. Emulation lets you do that! virtual hoarding. It doesn't harm anyone, except your own obsessive self.

If I could keep only one system, I wouldn't have collected a hundred of them to begin with.

I do think about this often though, as I think my days of being a "hardcore" collector are behind me. I just don't really care that much anymore, and I don't have much time for it anyway. I haven't even used a 2600 in three months, an Intellivision in almost a year, a 5200 in almost 2 years, Odyssey 2 in 6 months...and those are some of my favorite systems. A good chunk of games I own (mostly Genesis games), I've never even played. Some things like my TRS-80 Model II need repairs that I'm confident I'll never get around to doing. I think about how much space I'd clear up in my house and how much money I could make to put toward other things.

And yet, I'd miss them if I sold them off. There's something weirdly comforting about knowing that if I want to play something and can take the time to do it, it's there.

This is one thing that happens once you come full circle. In the seventies and eighties you got some consoles. Perhaps lost interest in them for other things. Then 10 years later you go on a collecting spree trying to build the "glorious" collection you had. It's glorious because you had 10 years of deprivation and the shit was running around in your head that you had to get it all back. And now that you've done it through ebay and online trading and flea markets - it doesn't seem so spectacular anymore.

Now you get bored of the shit and bury it in a pile in the closet. Then you can never get rid of it because of all the 2nd-time-around effort. And there it sits and rots. A cancer that doesn't grow much.

• Like 1

After giving this some serious consideration, I'd say... Playstation. The library is huge, diverse and high quality. There's more than a little of everything with classics to be found in all genres, and there are more PSX games in my top 100 than from any other console. As popular as it is to bag on 3D graphics of the 32-bit era as having not aged well, I can appreciate the style, character and grit of 3D PSX games and in some ways prefer this to the smooth blandness common to the 3D worlds in subsequent generations.

• Like 1

My PS3 is backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2.

Anyway, this type of question reminds me of questions like,"If you could only save either your mom or your dad then who would you save?" The question is too hard.

Heh, yeah. This is pointless.

A more relevant question would be:

"You own 20 game systems and you're allowed to keep them all. But time is limited. Which shall you play?"

Nintendo Gamecube with the Atari 7800 coming in at a close 2nd place (just because my 7800/2600 library is the largest of any of my game systems...)

With the Gamecube I get all of the fun party games (Mario Kart, Pac Man Vs., Four Swords Legend of Zelda, Mario Partys, Donkey Konga, Timesplitters 2, etc.), the older games (Midway Arcade Classics 1 and 2) and Gameboy Player so I have access to all my gameboy and gameboy advance games. :)

Heh, yeah. This is pointless.

A more relevant question would be:

"You own 20 game systems and you're allowed to keep them all. But time is limited. Which shall you play?"

As games have evolved they have added more to help manage your limited time with pause, passwords, and memory cards but the games that don't have them are designed to not require you to break up a long game into different sessions. In that respect, there is a balance. Replay value is a time factor also. You may spend as much time playing a short game many times with high replay value over playing a long game once with low replay value. In that respect, there is also a balance.

Assuming that all 20 systems are hooked up and the game library is well organized. I wouldn't choose one system to manage my limited time. I would manage my free time by picking the game for any of the systems based on how much free time I currently have and what I'm in the mood for.

It would be just as easy managing limited time with 20 systems as it would be scheduling what videos to watch. I could watch short videos on YouTube, half hour to an hour TV shows, or full length movies. I just pick the video that meets my entertainment and time needs with the video options I have. With video games, I just pick the game that meets my entertainment and time needs with the game options I have. The more options I have the more easy it is to manage my limited time for video and video games. In other words, the more systems and games I have the easier it is to manage my limited time because I have more options. More options equals better time management.

I can't believe the words flowing from my keyboard, but....I'm basing this on a few things (conveniently, I actually am downsizing quite a bit right now):

1) The system that gets used every single day with no exception.

2) Plays the largest range of games. (based on my OWN collection and taste....VERY subjective statement that will not apply to everybody)

3) Is compact in size.

4) Is still very well supported.

Ugh...the...Wii....Used every day with a CRT for Netflix, has a few of my favorite NES games installed, has a decent library of games...God, I feel like a sellout...

Edited by tisaperfectdayelise

Good point. Make sure to educate the lad who made Super Mario Brothers for the Atari 2600.

Christ, dude, Atari 2600 doesn't count! It's a known fact that you basically either do BASIC or 6502 for the Atari 2600.

Also, who said that sprybug can't do C? I bet he can, even if he says he can't.

can't and didn't are two differen't words. ;)