IGNORED

Nintendo needs to get out its Wii U games ASAP - sales dropping fast

onlysublime

to be fair, January sales tend to be lower as many people did most of their shopping prior to the holidays. but it's not a good sign at all.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/15/3990934/npd-january-2013-sales-figures-wii-u

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/186734/January_sales_show_continued_rough_tides_for_the_Wii_U.php#.UR3JIZyIaUn

a Gamasutra source says that the Wii U sold "well under" 100,000 units.

According to an NPD representative, the figure represents a 38 percent decrease on sales for the original Wii at the same point in its life, and Gamasutra estimates that the actual number is between 45,000 and 59,000 consoles sold. If accurate, that would mean the Wii U performed worse in January than the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 did in any single month throughout their entire lifespan.

Microsoft, meanwhile, announced that the Xbox 360 sold 281,000 units last month. We're yet to see numbers from Sony, but they look to be lower...

I like them and think they're fun. But they're almost the same thing every time. The original was awesome and groundbreaking. The N64 version advanced the series. Rubber stamp, ever since. It's not about not liking Mario Kart. It's about a 7 or 8 time re-tread.

Meanwhile, look at how Super Mario and Zelda have evolved into awesomeness.

Edited by wood_jl
  • Like 1

I like them and think they're fun. But they're almost the same thing every time. The original was awesome and groundbreaking. The N64 version advanced the series. Rubber stamp, ever since. It's not about not liking Mario Kart. It's about a 7 or 8 time re-tread.

Mario Kart Double Dash on the GameCube was different, being able to switch drivers while playing is great, especially with two people playing together on the same car.

Mario Kart on the Wii added online play but no longer two characters on the car. I wish they included this as an option. Hopefully it will come back one day.

• Like 1

Mario Kart Double Dash on the GameCube was different, being able to switch drivers while playing is great, especially with two people playing together on the same car.

Mario Kart on the Wii added online play but no longer two characters on the car. I wish they included this as an option. Hopefully it will come back one day.

I've always wondered why no one ever thought of an Autobot racing game. Y'know, Transformers... It would be part racing, part warfare, as you could transform and shoot a few Decepticons during the race, for extra points. They could make it with "cute" graphics and give it a "Lego Star Wars" vibe, so the game wouldn't take itself too seriously. Do well in the races and you could unlock hidden playable characters like Optimus Prime. :)

Okay, I'm done going off-topic. :P

• Like 1

I guess I'm the only one that loves the Mario Kart games...

I thought everybody but me liked them. I suppose they're good party games...unless you're having a party for racing game fans.

Their mechanics resemble a slot machine more closely than anything that rewards skill, and what little skill there is comes from exploitation of their cheaty drift mechanics.

Universal appeal shouldn't have to mean 'anybody who shows up can win.'

Dragging back around to topic, assuming for a second nintendo will fail this generation, how long would it really take, and what are the odds that they would reinvent themselves in a more meaningful way next time around?

Edited by Reaperman

It's all a matter of perspective. From the numbers I've seen the U is doing just as well now 3 months in as the PS360 were doing at 18 months into their lifespan. The U sold about 3 million in 3 months, the 360 did about 5 million in 18 months.

Exactly my thinking... not only is it a new launch but compound that with no new mario and crap economy. Nintendo is in great shape with the 3ds on fire in Japan and Europe and coffers full of cash.

Mario Kart has always been a day one purchase for me since its inception. Mindless, charming fun with online and now HD :) System seller guys and 33 million copies was sold on the Wii makes it a no brainer.

• 2 months later...

As I've said many times, I'm enjoying the Wii U and find several of the games and many system features to be very well done and enjoyable.

With that said, what I find most disturbing is the sales figures for games sold that are being put out by VGChartz. If these figures are considered reliable at all (or at least an indication), then I can fully understand the current reluctance of 3rd party publishers to bring titles to the Wii U.

Some VGChartz sales numbers.... through Apr. 13th..... for the U.S.:

Need for Speed:Most Wanted..... released Mar 19th...................... 8,876 copies.

Walking Dead: Survival Instinct... released Mar. 19th...................... 8,844 copies.

Ninja Gaiden 3............................. released Nov. 18, 2012.............. 17,582 copies

Assassins Creed 3....................... released Nov. 13, 2012.............. 67,210 copies

Madden 13.................................. released Nov. 13, 2012...............26,309 copies

I've seen no actual figures of how many Wii U consoles have been sold in the U.S., but the worldwide figure is said to be 3.5million. If 1million of those were sold in the U.S., then the above software sales numbers are extremely poor attach rates.

I still think the Wii U will follow the 3DS path and sales will pick up when Zelda, Mario Kart, Pikmin, and other Nintendo titles are on the shelves. But playing games from EA, UBIsoft, Activision, Gearbox, Warner Bros. etc may require you purchasing a MS or Sony system.

I still think the Wii U will follow the 3DS path and sales will pick up when Zelda, Mario Kart, Pikmin, and other Nintendo titles are on the shelves. But playing games from EA, UBIsoft, Activision, Gearbox, Warner Bros. etc may require you purchasing a MS or Sony system.

Thats what I think. But I don't mind...on the Wii I mostly played Nintendo and Japanese games like Sega\Atlus and others. I picked up a 3DS on sale a few weeks back, now that it has a bunch of games I want to play and none of those are american triple AAA games. Fire Emblem and Nintendo games.

I just hope that those publishers don't ignore it much. Its hard to blame them though...if it was me and Nintendo didn't have anything more to offer other than the touchpad controller I would most likely make my game for the other more advanced systems with bigger crowds.

Its tough.

Bigger crowds?? Didnt the wii outsell sony and ms??? Its just stupidity..I really enjoy my wii u now and their is already enough games for me to ever own for it.. I still havent finished windwaker on gc yet i am so far behind.. My fave is google earth with the tablet controller and all the free downloads.. its by far the best way to use google earth..when the new zelda amd mario come out and maybe a better racing game there will be everything i could ever want..

And more to offer than a tablet??? Its got lots jam for hd stuff.. Who the hell has a 4khd tv anyway?? the nintendo has also the awesome motion controls that ms and sony have never replicated completly..i see a game company a tv company and a computer company.. i go for the game company for games as thats what they know and do the best...

Most guys wont give nintendo a chance. they dont realize they crushed atari and have been doing consoles for a long time.. Mostly scared to like it due to small penis syndrome.. kinda like the guy with the big truck... its psycological..

Edited by Jinks

While I buy Nintendo systems mainly for Nintendo titles, I have found some EXCELLENT 3rd party titles on both the GameCube and Wii that I couldn't have played if I hadn't purchased these Nintendo systems. And I've already found some great exclusive titles on the Wii U.... Lego City, Monster Hunter, and Zombie U.

One thing I'm anxiously awaiting is for XSeed and Atlus to start releasing some RPG titles on the Wii U.

Thats what I think. But I don't mind...on the Wii I mostly played Nintendo and Japanese games like Sega\Atlus and others. I picked up a 3DS on sale a few weeks back, now that it has a bunch of games I want to play and none of those are american triple AAA games. Fire Emblem and Nintendo games.

I just hope that those publishers don't ignore it much. Its hard to blame them though...if it was me and Nintendo didn't have anything more to offer other than the touchpad controller I would most likely make my game for the other more advanced systems with bigger crowds.

Its tough.

The tablet controller is not the decisive factor for third-party devs. Devs voiced their support for the Wii U in the beginning because Microsoft and Sony hadn't revealed their future plans yet, but now that the next Xbox and PS4 are just around the corner, it's time for the devs to make up their minds, and they did.

It's no surprise to me that they're getting off the Wii U bandwagon. These new consoles are very complex under the hood, with a steep learning curve, so development houses need to devote serious man-hours to studying the new hardwares, build up their own dev tools and software engines (or "import" existing ones from previous consoles) and create their first games as close as possible to the launch of the new systems. Given that the Wii U has had disappointing sales figures and poor media coverage, it makes it even easier for devs to say "Good bye Nintendo, we're putting all our chips (and all our development resources) on the next Xbox and PS4".

The tablet controller is not the decisive factor for third-party devs. Devs voiced their support for the Wii U in the beginning because Microsoft and Sony hadn't revealed their future plans yet, but now that the next Xbox and PS4 are just around the corner, it's time for the devs to make up their minds, and they did.

It's no surprise to me that they're getting off the Wii U bandwagon. These new consoles are very complex under the hood, with a steep learning curve, so development houses need to devote serious man-hours to studying the new hardwares, build up their own dev tools and software engines (or "import" existing ones from previous consoles) and create their first games as close as possible to the launch of the new systems. Given that the Wii U has had disappointing sales figures and poor media coverage, it makes it even easier for devs to say "Good bye Nintendo, we're putting all our chips (and all our development resources) on the next Xbox and PS4".

I agree....the Microsoft announcement is right around the corner and I bet both machines will come out by Christmas.

actually, the focus for the next Xbox and PS4 will be on simplifying the learning curve. rich developmental tools, great middleware, and standard PC parts with some accessory processors. developers want to cut down on costs and Microsoft/Sony want to keep their developers amidst the onslaught of more competition from the mobile and PC side of things. to keep them in the fold, you simplify their jobs and make it cheaper for them to develop.

The market is theirs to lose. This reminds me a bit of the situation with a lot of pre-crash consoles which were felled by bad management and internal problems as opposed to the market. They could release new games, or could have has them ready soon after launch, or delayed the launch. When people are questioning their intitial investment, it doesn't bode well with the perspective consumer base.

Some things I'd like to see on the Wii U:

1. New first party titles and revivals of classic franchises. Galaxy, Castlevania, Zelda, MK, Metroid, DK, etc.

2. VC compatibility on the gamepad. Playing NES and SNES titles on it would be sweet. It could also be a portable GBA/DS. Why is this not being done already.

3. User accounts like the competition. This would be difficult to do at this point, but it is what the market demands.

4. More control of the gamepad. Why can't I shut it off during play if I want to? The light is distracting.

Been hearing that Call of Duty:Ghosts might be skipping Wii U also.

Oh boy. If it's one thing they need it's a Call of Duty game. Then again, everyone who plays Call of Duty probably would buy it for their current console....why buy a Wii U to play it?

I think for the first time in history Nintendo is trapped. I think only their own games and exclusives can bail them out.

Oh boy. If it's one thing they need it's a Call of Duty game. Then again, everyone who plays Call of Duty probably would buy it for their current console....why buy a Wii U to play it?

I think for the first time in history Nintendo is trapped. I think only their own games and exclusives can bail them out.

I hear ya. I know Black Ops 2 was ported over but due to dismal sales figures.....they are re thinking the Wii U.

Its Nintendo's own fault. I remember the days when they were the top dogs......now they are becoming the dogs poop.

Actually, it's been this way since the days of the N64. Only now Nintendo is down in its own manure even deeper than before. The Wii worked wonders years ago because it tapped into the "blue ocean" of casual gamers. But that only worked for a time, and today, those same casual gamers won't easely trade their Wiis for Wii-Us, especially grandma who got fed up with Wii Sports Bowling years ago. During those years, the large canyon between Nintendo and hardcore gamers grew much larger, but I think it grew even more between Nintendo and third-party developers, because Nintendo was so adamant about using the Wiimote for every frakin' Wii game that it pissed developers/publishers off, and the fact that the Wii was noticeably underpowered didn't help matters either. So while the Wii was good for Nintendo's bottom line, now the company is paying the price for tapping that "blue ocean" and turning its back on the not-so-casual gamers.

EDIT: Just look at the Metroid - Other M fiasco... Just one more proof of the bad decisions Nintendo has made in recent years.

• Like 3

Madden NFL 25... a big event in the Madden universe... is skipping the Wii U...

looks like Nintendo is pretty much going it alone this generation. at least they have Ubisoft which has traditionally embraced being the multiplatform company (they've launched with practically every system in existence including the Atari Jag).

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/34079

After speculation that the system would miss out on this year's Madden NFL 25, it is now confirmed that the series will skip Nintendo platforms for the first time since 1991.

Last year, a version of Madden NFL 13 came out for both Wii and Wii U. The Nintendo 64, GameCube, and Wii all had versions of Madden throughout their lives. In 2011, the 3DS launched with a version of Madden, and after that, EA confirmed that the series was not appearing on Nintendo's portable again.