IGNORED

Nintendo needs to get out its Wii U games ASAP - sales dropping fast

onlysublime

If we're including things like bonds, which certainly are assets worth money, than we're expanding the scope of what we're talking about.

I was just talking about their supply of cash to provide a view of how their finances fluctuate and to get an ideal of their current financial health. They certainly hold significant amounts of assets tied up in other areas like bonds, probably several millions dollars in inventory, and so on but those are different line items that I wasn't talking about.

The figures I've been passing along have been the category "cash and deposits" in their consolidated balance sheet for each fiscal year. Short term investments with things like bonds are a different item that also counts towards their total assets just like cash and deposits do, but I was just singling out one type of asset.

As for the rest, I don't really disagree. But I do think they face significant investments yet beyond the ordinary before the system can settle down into normal operations because the system has yet to establish itself and is struggling.

Edited by Atariboy

If there's ANY system that could benefit from having a good football videogame, particularly the Madden series (though I wouldn't know how good because I don't play football videogames), it's the Wii U. With a second touchscreen gamepad, two players could call plays from the privacy of their own screens, which apart from doing this through the Nintendo 3DS seems like the only innovative thing the home system's got going for it.

If there's ANY system that could benefit from having a good football videogame, particularly the Madden series (though I wouldn't know how good because I don't play football videogames), it's the Wii U. With a second touchscreen gamepad, two players could call plays from the privacy of their own screens,

I think the Dreamcast allowed for this, from the "VMU" unit screen, as inserted into the controller. It sure seemed cool, but it didn't seem to take off. On the other systems (no controller display) you could pick a play corresponding to a controller button. Although the plays were displayed on the screen for your opponent to see, he couldn't see exactly which one you picked, as it didn't hightlight the screen when you pressed the controller button corresponding to the play you desire.

If anyone is curious about how Metroid Prime declined in sales, the original managed 2.82 million with 1.96 million of that in North America. Metroid Prime 2 only managed about 1.33 million worldwide with 870,000 of that in North America. And Metroid Prime 3 managed a respectable but modest figure for a major Nintendo release of 1.65 million copies with a similar number of copies sold in North America as MP2 (The sales increase came from Europe). Metroid Prime Trilogy made 670,000 in sales.

For a major Nintendo franchise, the sales for this series must be considered mediocre at best after the original Metroid Prime. It's a shame since this series has been one of the highlights of gaming on Nintendo consoles over the past decade and deserved to be a runaway success.

If there's ANY system that could benefit from having a good football videogame, particularly the Madden series (though I wouldn't know how good because I don't play football videogames), it's the Wii U. With a second touchscreen gamepad, two players could call plays from the privacy of their own screens, which apart from doing this through the Nintendo 3DS seems like the only innovative thing the home system's got going for it.

Except that only one handheld screen is supported--unless that's somehow changed.

Dreamcast did fairly well with the individual screen for playcalling. I actually did play some local multiplayer sports on it (for some reason).

I keep catching this thread title pop up in the modern gaming 'last modified' list and every time I see it, I disagree with it 100%. Nintendo doesn't need to bring out more wii-u games. IMO, they need to reboot.

'Reboot' is my diplomatic advice for them on a good day. I don't think I can post what I usually think they need to do.

Edited by Reaperman

And not only is this not a total disaster (Particularly the launch itself where it was doing quite well... it has only been the post Christmas period where the Wii U has floundered), but can you imagine Nintendo's task trying to sell a console to consumers, developers, publishers, retailers, and the press again after prematurely killing off a major game console after just a few months on the marketplace?

I have little doubt that there would never be another Nintendo game console if they pull the plug on the Wii U before it has enjoyed 4-5 years on the marketplace as Nintendo's premier home console. They're going to either have to make this work or withdraw from being a platform holder and align as a 2nd party developer with Sony or Microsoft or become a 3rd party publisher like Sega.

They may need a reboot but it's going to have to be planned around the Wii U itself and involve changes in things like their marketing strategy, approach to attracting 3rd parties, etc. Scrapping the Wii U itself and starting over is a non-option.

Except that only one handheld screen is supported--unless that's somehow changed.

A single screen was never the concrete plan. During the early days, they said that it currently was a single screen but that it was subject to change. And change it did since the released system can support streaming to two gamepads.

There just hasn't been a game released yet that takes advantage of that functionality. That's also why they're not sold individually as of now since there's no released game that can take advantage of two gamepads.

Edited by Atariboy

Now they are taking LP video's on youtube and claiming ownership.

Good grief ....this is like swiping candy from some kid. Seriously? Taking people's youtube money? Good god if this makes me not want to buy another Nintendo\Sega product ever again.

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-is-claiming-ownership-of-let-s-play-videos-253793.phtml

As the article says an argument can be made for Nintendo but not me. I don't buy it. It's pathetic.

Now they are taking LP video's on youtube and claiming ownership.

Other large gaming companies do the same thing though, such as Capcom and Konami. I'm not a fan of it at all (I can't monetize most of my Konami or Capcom videos), but Destructoid seems to be making a bigger deal out of it simply because it's Nintendo. Why haven't they barked about other companies doing the same damn thing? Bah. Stupid media.

I can see that, maybe they want to make Nintendo the poster child right now since the Wii U is slow, but I think Sega took that title. I have a video as well on youtube of an indie game. Just one level sample walkthrough. Never had the time to really start anything of my own but its fun, its work and it promotes a game I like. I really enjoy watching LP and walkthrough videos from people who are really good at making them. Frustrating when I read stuff like that.

Back to the original topic, I don't think it helped Nintendo by touting many titles as "Launch Window" releases. I'm still waiting for Pikmin 3. And if anyone can recall, Paper Mario Sticker Star and Luigi's Mansion 2 on 3DS both got delayed by over a year. Not good that a company like Nintendo makes promises using terms such as "Launch Window" then procrastinates until the cows come home. Throwing out terms like "Launch Window" when they really meant, "It's currently in developement, but we don't know yet when it will be released." At least Lego City Undercover made the March 31st deadline. I've been enjoying that title very much.

Apparently, there's a new 3D Mario coming out, but Nintendo is so tight-lipped, I'm wondering it it's just another rumour:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/3d-mario-for-wii-u-launching-by-october-6407909

Getting sooo tired of Mario. Wish they could just make a game featuring another character. I vote for Dry Bones.

YES! I always thought that Boo should have his own game. Dry Bones can be his sidekick. :D

I think Nintendo should do another role reversal game in the style of Super Princess Peach. Only instead of Peach rescuing Mario, you play the role of Bowser. It could be a tactical style game where you play as Bowser and attempt to stop Mario from rescuing the Princess. In the first stage of the game, you bust into Peach's castle and kidnap the princess. Next, there's a cutscene with Mario appears and attempts to stop you. Then the main game mode begins, and you could deploy Koopas, Goombas, etc to try and attack/damage Mario.The game would consist of various missions, etc and the game rewards you based on how much damage / death count Mario takes. Deploy your minions wisely, as they are limited in number! Mario gets smarter and stronger as the game progresses, and as Bowser you get access to better equipment/enemies such as Bill Blasters / Likatus, etc. Purchase upgrades (yes, amassing armies or building fortresses is not cheap). In the final climactic ending, it is a final show down between you and Mario. If Mario defeats you, it is game over. If you defeat Mario, there is a final cutscene where Bowser looks upon Mario's unconscious body, and feels remorse for what he has done. Peach shrieks in horror and comes to Mario's aid, reviving him with a kiss. Mario acknowledges that Bowser put up a good fight, and the two make a truce. "We'll have-a to play-a again some-a other time-a," says Mario. Bowser agrees. Mario and Peach return to the Mushroom kingdom, and Bowser packs up his minions and returns to Dark World in his flying fortress. Not the most climactic ending, but I've always wanted to play a game where you get to destroy Mario (DK Jr doesn't really count). Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

They don't even need a reversal game--they need to bring back console versions of some of their other big titles from back in the '90s in a similar way they did with DKC Returns. A legitimate Star Fox in the vein of 64 would be incredible. Likewise, a new Wave Race. F-Zero, perhaps? (Although rumors have it Shin'en is actually working on that, might be exposed around the time of E3). They just tend to milk the same popular franchises over and over, which isn't necessarily a bad thing since they usually turn out to be great games, but c'mon..

• Like 2

One thing's for sure, Nintendo won't be able to count on third-parties for the Wii-U era. Most of the serious third-party devs have slammed the door on Nintendo this time around, so Nintendo will have to innovate by themselves for the coming generation.

As a Wii U owner, its somewhat frustrating that 3rd parties like EA aren't planning releases for the system or that companies like Activision won't fully support the titles they've already released, like with DLC packs for Black Op's II.

But in thinking it over, I find that it really doesn't bother me that much at all because I'm going to continue my gaming as I have for years: I'll play Nintendo titles and 3rd party exclusives on the Wii U and if I want to play a Grand Theft Auto or BioShock or Borderlands or Dead Island or other titles not available on the Wii U, then I'll play those titles on a Sony or MS system.

I'm just not going to get hung up on sales numbers or which company isn't making a Nintendo version or whether console gaming is doomed, doomed, doomed or how much money Nintendo has and on and on and on. I'm just going to play & enjoy whats available for ALL gaming systems and whatever happens with either of the three console makers..... happens.

As a Wii U owner, its somewhat frustrating that 3rd parties like EA aren't planning releases for the system or that companies like Activision won't fully support the titles they've already released, like with DLC packs for Black Op's II.

EA will simply lose business by not diversifying their releases. Honestly if they are that lazy that they don't want to modify their game engines to work on Wii-U, then good riddens. I watched the Nintendo Direct video on Thursday, and there will be some great 3rd party exclusives coming from Sega and Capcom. I'm assuming the big 1st party reveals such as Smash Bros, Mario Kart, the new 3D Mario, and others will be out of the bag next month prior to e3. Lot's of good things are in the works for Nintendo. I believe the only mistake Nintendo has made was releasing the Wii-U before it was ready to market. The 3DS also released several months early and it is doing great now. The first 2-and-a-half months of 3DS were far worse of a drought than Wii-U. Bring on the games and buyers will come! Edited by stardust4ever