IGNORED

Information about Vectrex Collecting

Manoau2002

I may have the opprotunity to purchase a vectrex console in the near furture. I haven't used a vectrex before so I had a few questions. Does owning the overlays greatly inprove gameplay? What are the best games for the vectrex and what are they worth? (with overlays and instruction manuals but no boxes) Is it worth it to buy a multicart for this system or am I better buying individual carts? Is there an active homebrew community for this system? Thanks.

To answer your questions (being a previous Vectrex owner myself years ago):

Yes, but you can still play without the overlays, but I recommend them and also for an overall aesthetically pleasing experience.

Berzerk is a great game for the Vectrex, and I don't think they are worth tons of money. Depends on if you're doing boxed or cart only. Not sure about obtaining the overlay, and they seem to get "lost" over the years. Mine certainly did. :_( I also thought web wars was good, and scramble. star trek the motion picture was another one I enjoyed.

Definetely (once again, in my opinion) you should do a multicart. There are homebrews out there, I think. I'm sure others will recommend that as well. Check out this:

http://en.wikipedia....f_Vectrex_games

Edited by wolfpaw1966

Hi!

I may have the opprotunity to purchase a vectrex console in the near furture.

Get it!!!!!

Does owning the overlays greatly inprove gameplay?

Not sure. I don't have any original overlays.

I printed a Minestorm overlay on a transparency sheet. It's nice. But the people who have overlays say it is much nicer.

There's someone here who is selling repro overlays also..

What are the best games for the vectrex and what are they worth? (with overlays and instruction manuals but no boxes)

That's pretty subjective. I think my favorite game is actually Minestorm. ;-) Pole Position is great, as is Armor Attack...

No idea on price/value..

Is it worth it to buy a multicart for this system or am I better buying individual carts?

Yes!!

Even if you plan on buying all the originals, there are homebrews out there you can play with.

Is there an active homebrew community for this system?

OMG!! Some of the most incredible homebrews!!!

Protector is the best Defender clone available. Vector Pilot looks AWESOME!!! Fury Games unlimited makes some great games!!!

Omega Chase.. Y.A.S.I. LOTS of great Homebrews.

Good luck!

desiv

Edited by desiv

Any idea of the value of the overlays in particular? I have found some cart prices on atari2600 .com . But they don't have any overlays. Are there any games that are ultra rare that have really high prices. (100's) How much are accessories like the light pen and extra controllers? THANKS.

I know someone was selling reproduction overlays...maybe someone else has more info on that?

Generally, tracking down a Vectrex overlay is a pain, it's easier to buy a cart with the overlay or CIB, so depends on how you decide on how you want to collect. The Overlays aren't mandatory, but certain games use them in place of graphics.

Recycled Gamer does some light pens that are far cheaper than the real thing. The Light Pen and CD Imager will cost you ALOT. even a working controller can be rather expensive.

check this list for a generic price

http://www.rarityguide.com/vectrex_view.php

If you can find a copy of Vectrexians or Vector Pilot, I highly recommend them!

I remember back in the early days of the Vectrex, most people seemed to have the opinion that the overlays were generally superfluous. Lately, seems some collectors value them highly. I never had much use for them, myself.

Some of the overlays do have a role in gameplay. For example, the overlay for Armor Attack (a fun two player combat-style game) contains the images of the barriers you can't drive through and you won't know what you're running into without it. If I remember correctly, the Starcastle overlay is nice, showing colored layers of the big round thing you attack.

I would recommend getting any games you can for a reasonable price as there aren't that many originals. I would recommend a programmable multicart so you can play the homebrews, though I don't have one (and have no personal experience with the homebrews, but know that many are highly recommended by others). The Vectrex architecture and most software has been put in the public domain, so a rich homebrew community developed; don't know how active it is at the moment, though.

My favorites:

Bedlam, Cosmic Chasm, Hyperchase, Minestorm (built-in), Rip Off (GREAT two player game), Scramble

Edited by fiddlepaddle

.....Hyperchase...

Oh, you're the one who likes Hyperchase...

:-)

Seriously, I want to like that game, but I am so bad at controlling it I can't. ;-)

btw, I think this is the link for the person on the forum here selling them:

http://www.vectrexoverlays.com/Vectrex/Purchase.html

I haven't pulled the trigger yet myself on an overlay, but I read good things about them.

I might go for the Protector one he has, as my original Protector overlay (GREAT GAME) doesn't do much for the gameplay, but his overlay for it looks really nice.

desiv

I printed a Minestorm overlay on a transparency sheet. It's nice. But the people who have overlays say it is much nicer.

Does printing the overlays on a transparency sheet seem to work really well? If it does that might be a good option for me.

Recycled Gamer does some light pens that are far cheaper than the real thing. The Light Pen and CD Imager will cost you ALOT. even a working controller can be rather expensive.

The recycled light pen does look like a good alternative. All have to keep that in mind. The vectrex needed some repairs so its currently being fixed. I am hoping I will be able to purchase it when they are done. The seller has a large selection of games with overlays so hopefully I will be able to purchase some of them as well. He also had a second Vectrex controller. What do these usually sell for?

Does printing the overlays on a transparency sheet seem to work really well? If it does that might be a good option for me.

I can't really compare, as I don't have any REAL overlays.

I can tell you I was able to print an overlay.

I used white-out on the back to mask out what needed to be masked. (That's a hassle. I'm not good staying within the lines)

It looks OK.

The big problem is that it's so darn thin. Vec overlays should have some girth to them. They should be solid.

Transparencies are like sheets of paper.

You can laminate them for more thickness, but standard lamination can possibly melt (warp/wrinkle) the overlay as it's so thin.

Also, usually laminating bags seal on the edges, but Vec overlays go to the edge. So if you cut it along the edge, you lose your lamination seal.

Another option is the adhesive lamination sheets, but those are spendy and difficulty to apply.

If you do that, considering the cost of the transparency/ink/lamination sheets and time, it's probably better to buy a repro.

That being said, I do have the Minestorm overlay I printed on my Vec. So it can't be that bad. ;-) (Or I'm just that cheap...)

The recycled light pen does look like a good alternative.

Yep, I second that, I have a repro light pen and it's great fun to have. Not a lot uses it, but I live having it.

What do these usually sell for?

More than a vectrex with a controller.. Well, maybe not, but sometimes.. It's crazy... A LOT...

Also, the guy who was selling the repro light pen was also selling modded controllers (Genesis and SNES I think) to work with the Vec.

I've thought about it, but I really like my original controller.

(There are 2 (I think just 2? Hyperchase and one other) games that won't work with the modded controllers.)

desiv

p.s. I'm hoping that someone makes another run of the homebrew 3D goggles. I got 1 when it came out. Uses LCD shutter goggles to simulate the 3D Vectrex imager, but MUCH less expensive. I love that thing, but they didn't make too many.

Edited by desiv

Thanks for all the information everyone. I am very interested in buying the Vectrex itself. If the second controller is a decent price I will buy that as well. As for the games it will depend on the price of each. (I don't think the seller is too interested in a package deal) I will look into the Multicart and maybe sometime buy some reproduction overlays. I also collect for the Colecovision so for now I would like to go with cheaper options.

Over the last 2 months great condition/like new loose Vectrex controllers have been going for about $75-90 on eBay at auction. There are always BINs for much higher, and NIB usually goes for even more. Even used and cosmetically compromised ones still sell for $40-70. If you can get a decent condition working controller with stiff joystick springs for less, definitely do it. Vectrex controllers can be fixed, but it's a PITA so it's much better to get one that's working perfectly...

[edit]

I would also recommend the Recycled Gamer light pen, Andrew Coleman's 72-in-1 Multicart, and the VecFlash MicroSD cart.

[/edit]

Edited by akator

btw, I think this is the link for the person on the forum here selling them:

http://www.vectrexoverlays.com/Vectrex/Purchase.html

I haven't pulled the trigger yet myself on an overlay, but I read good things about them.

I might go for the Protector one he has, as my original Protector overlay (GREAT GAME) doesn't do much for the gameplay, but his overlay for it looks really nice.

desiv

I actually designed the Protector overlay and sent it to him to make some changes like a larger blue area for the score and better alignment with the radar. Those weren't changed at all, plus all displays have variation that make alignment hard. The play field and mountains are different colors than what I originally chose. I had green mountains and red aliens. (The problem with red is that inkjet red just isn't dark enough and the vectors are too pink.)

I REALLY like the Y.A.S.I. (Yet Another Space Invaders) overlay he makes. I like it so much I haven't been able to put oldJD's dust cover on because I like looking at the overlai in the Vextrex every day!

• 2 months later...

I love my Vectrex. Scramble is probably my favorite game on the system. I just purchased the homebrews Sundance and War of the Worlds.

Spare controllers cost about $40-60.

A multicart is a good choice. You can try all of the games then go after the individual ones you enjoy.

In my opinion you have to have at least a couple of overlays to get the real Vectrex experience. The most essential overlays are WEB WARS and POLE POSITION. Both games are MUCH more impressive with the overlays. These are also two of the best games from the original library. Pole Position is expensive ($100+) but Web Wars is more attainable (under $50).

If you don't have a working GCE controller, I'd FIRST go for one of the converted pad controllers (snes or genesis) from Recycled gamer. These are easier and cheaper and quicker to get than the original ones and you are really going to want one of these in your collection long term anyway. The original controller is wonderful, but there are some games, (especially some of the homebrews) which are extremely difficult with the old controller, and much more playable with a SNES pad.

As already mentioned, Protector is an amazing homebrew clone of Defender. I don't think it was mentioned that you can buy it today from classicgamecreations.com for about $12!!!! ... I always use my converted SNES pad to play this game.

If you have friends to play Vectrex with and if you do get two working controllers, I agree with fiddlepaddle that RIP OFF is great. (Not so great for one player). Overlay is also a must for this game.

Multicarts are overrated in my opinion.

My favorite homebrews:

I,Cyborg (out of print)

Gravitrex (classicgamecreations.com)

Protector (classicgamecreations.com)

War of the Worlds 2011 (furyunlimited.com)

favorite GCE games:

Web Wars

Fortress of Narzod

Pole Position

Cosmic Chasm

Rip Off (2 players)

Bedlam

It's missing the silver knob, but the main problem is that one of the axes X or Y, forget which, doesn't respond unless you hold the pad upside down.

Well the axis problem is likely caused by a missing or broken spring. There is a video on youtube of someone doing a repair. You can salvage a spring from a atari 2600 cart.