IGNORED

HSC10 Round 4: Caverns of Mars

COM1 Novice 106980, Pilot 143880, Warrior 90030 Total = 340890

Stuck on warrior level. It get's very tricky on the 4th phase with the blobs that disappear and then reappear, or do they move, haven't quite worked that out yet!

I remember they appear in the same position

"Do we have an emulator issue here perhaps ? Will check it out..."

had a quick play on NTSC on altirra but ran out of fuel at the top so not sure - boy is the game faster but the controls seem more responsive, the screen was much taller too. (I didn't have a joystick hooked up to the PC though).

Mr Case escaped and he's on altirra if that's any help - perhaps try PAL video settng folks?

I just checked PAL, and once again is much easier... (like H.E.R.O.).

My two current high scores are from NTSC... I am not sure if everybody is playing PAL, so I think I will keep in that version, although it is kind of slow :)

Novice: 110560 completed (did couple of intended crashes to gain higher score :P )

------------------

Novice: 89930 completed (without loosing a life ;-))

Pilot: 113300 (already know how to, but still too many mistakes, reached only 3rd cave :mad: )

Warrior: 47240 (just visited, unable to pass even once at the moment :-o )

Commander: 33660 (no comment :-o :-o )

= 284130

------------------

This game need a joystick with good controls. I tried few of them before found something usable.

Edited by jk40001

Novice: 110560 completed (did couple of intended crashes to gain higher score :P )

Pilot: 113300 (already know how to, but still too many mistakes, reached only 3rd cave :mad: )

Warrior: 47240 (just visited, unable to pass even once at the moment :-o )

Commander: 33660 (no comment :-o :-o )

= 304760

This game need a joystick with good controls. I tried few of them before found something usable.

:thumbsup:

OK looks like the scoring is flawed in COM as it doesn't award any score for time left so let say you get 100K for completing a round and the score will count for the imcomplete round (I should have taken McKong's advice and gone for Caverns completed but it is hard to remember)

Don't worry about screenshots for COM as you can't tell which level you are on; but post them for COM2 if you can :)

I just checked PAL, and once again is much easier... (like H.E.R.O.).

My two current high scores are from NTSC... I am not sure if everybody is playing PAL, so I think I will keep in that version, although it is kind of slow :)

Emulator users get to choose, but those on real hardware don't! As long as players let me know so that NTSC players can get their bonus point. I'd suggest using PAL if anyone finds a game too difficult :)

Yes Firefleet is a really good game but it is just too hard; there's one bit that's nearly impossible to get past which really spoils the game. :ponder:

COM I keep getting caught by the respawning fuel ships on the 2nd sector - don't know if this is a bug or a feature but it's a pain in the but enough of my troubles, commander is fun with all the different sectors :)

Improved on Pilot to 84,240

:thumbsup:

OK looks like the scoring is flawed in COM as it doesn't award any score for time left so let say you get 100K for completing a round and the score will count for the imcomplete round (I should have taken McKong's advice and gone for Caverns completed but it is hard to remember)

Just to understand it correctly: Is that mean that score 110560 for novice is considered as incomplete round? I think score around 80k is possible to reach when loosing no life during this round as mentioned by McKong.

I believe that in following rounds I will be happy if able to pass no matter what the score would be, however what would be the scores for Pilot, Warrior and Commander considered as completed rounds?

Edited by jk40001

Caverns of Mars HMMM :-o

We can't go for lowest score as that penalises for shooting stuff...

We can't go for highest score as crasing may gain points as replays the section... and the timer makes no difference to the score!

So will award a score higher than the highest posted score for each difficulty say 120K for Novice, 170k for Pilot [others to follow]

Play each level and try and complete it (5 escapes) , if you don't then the score will count as it is. No deliberate crashing :D

I'll stick a table on in the morning and this will all make sense!

The bonuses still count (see post #1) :spidey:

Phobos 28,720

Was this identical to C.O.M.?

first tables

Caverns of Mars

1st devwebcl 463,920 12pts NP

2nd McKong 380,030 12pts NP

3rd therealbountybob 370,800 10pts N

4th JK40001 314,200 9pts N

5th justin case 50,070 8pts

6th roadrunner (N) 48,630 8pts

7th Tickled_Pink 46,720 6pts

8th adam242 (N) 41,690 6pts

9th MaPa 41,130 4pts

10th Goochman (N) 39,640 4pts

11th jblenkle (N) 27,440 3pts

12th Champions_2002 21,390 2pts

Letters after score = levels completed; given fixed scores:

Novice=120,000 Pilot=170,000 Warrior=??? Commander=???

# Bonus for completing NPW

$ Bonus for completing NPWC

Caverns of Mars II

1st therealbountybob 75,800 3pts

2nd Tickled_Pink 29,200 2pts

3rd roadrunner (N) 18,350 2pts

4th adam242 (N) 18,250 2pts

5th devwebcl 16,450 2pts

6th jblenkle (N) 16,000 1pt