IGNORED

I'll just say this bluntly...

Nateo

MSXdev page says 16KB of RAM... Perhaps 48KB is for a version that runs in RAM?

I really haven't put much time into it yet, I need to finish a small project for another machine first.

It may have more to do with the memory layout than amount of RAM or that may just be for development builds.

I'd love to see a Roguelike or RPG similar to Gateway to Apshai. I only wish GtA had a definiteive ending and perhaps a town and shops to buy goods in. If anyone plans to port Deep Dungeon Adventure or Gauntlet for that matter, sign me up for 1 of each. :)

And one of the things the code does is calls a routine that seems to refer to setting RAM to 48K... but I can't be sure yet since it's comments appear to be in Spanish or Portuguese If the game requires 48K RAM to run that might make the game only work on the Adam. Or it could just need that RAM configuration to place a routine in RAM such as an interrupt handler or something, I'm not that well versed on MSX.

<edit>

That routine is mentioned on the web page btw. I'll probably contact the author and ask them some questions.

I've gave a look, these are classical MSX routines for mapping. You see the MSX allows to map each 16K address to different locations (RAM, BIOS, cartridge).

On boot 4000-7FFF contains main cartridge page so it can boot. Then code maps 8000-BFFF for the other 16K (this is for 32K cartridges) using BIOS, but as this is a 48K cartridge, there exists code for mapping 0000-3FFF to cartridge and then returns mapping to MSX BIOS so interrupts works.

For a Colecovision Megacart cartridge, the 8000-BFFF always stays fixed and you would change mapping of area C000-FFFF. As SGM/ADAM allows 32K of RAM and looks like the game uses only 16K, you would choose to keep code in ROM or copy 16K to RAM.

• Like 2

I'd love to see a Roguelike or RPG similar to Gateway to Apshai. I only wish GtA had a definiteive ending and perhaps a town and shops to buy goods in. If anyone plans to port Deep Dungeon Adventure or Gauntlet for that matter, sign me up for 1 of each. :)

Gauntlet MSX is an interesting game. It was one of the very few efforts were they ported a Spectrum (yuck) game but actually improved it to use some of the MSX capabilities. I would say they did a descent job, though I still see room for more improvements, like using more than a sprite per hero, and changing the title and hero selection screens to make better use of the TMS9928 graphics II capabilities. Something I would love to do next year.

• Like 1

Would this Gauntlet game be an SGM release?

It could be, everything is possible. But there's one aspect to keep in mind at all times when you're dealing with MSX ports: MSX games come in two formats, namely cartridge and tape (or floppies). With cartridges, you've got the software running directly from the cartridge and RAM can be seen as a distinct component. With tapes, the software is loaded into RAM from the tape and the software machine code and the data share the same RAM space. This means that the fine line between software and data can get blurry, depending on how the programmer originally coded his game, and that's why it's not so easy to port a "tape" game to ColecoVision cartridge format, compared to an MSX cartridge game. It's somewhat easier now with the SGM, but it's still a lot of work.

So really, all I'm saying is that if the MSX game is a tape game, it can be harder to port to the CV. And this difference in porting difficulty explains why guys like Eduardo tend to prefer porting cartridge-based MSX games. :)

• Like 1

It could be, everything is possible. But there's one aspect to keep in mind at all times when you're dealing with MSX ports: MSX games come in two formats, namely cartridge and tape (or floppies). With cartridges, you've got the software running directly from the cartridge and RAM can be seen as a distinct component. With tapes, the software is loaded into RAM from the tape and the software machine code and the data share the same RAM space. This means that the fine line between software and data can get blurry, depending on how the programmer originally coded his game, and that's why it's not so easy to port a "tape" game to ColecoVision cartridge format, compared to an MSX cartridge game. It's somewhat easier now with the SGM, but it's still a lot of work.

So really, all I'm saying is that if the MSX game is a tape game, it can be harder to port to the CV. And this difference in porting difficulty explains why guys like Eduardo tend to prefer porting cartridge-based MSX games. :)

I will probably do little with information I learn in this thread, but it doesn't stop me from finding it fascinating. :)

I suppose with the cassette games, maybe you could go retro-masochistic and jerry-rig a cassette tape interface for the CV. Or maybe that's called the ADAM :P

I will probably do little with information I learn in this thread, but it doesn't stop me from finding it fascinating. :)

I suppose with the cassette games, maybe you could go retro-masochistic and jerry-rig a cassette tape interface for the CV. Or maybe that's called the ADAM :P

I don't think anyone would want that. They would want a re-design of the game to go on a cart so that everything stays simplistic.

It isn't necessarily that I prefer to port cartridge games. It is just a matter that there aren't many good tape games, especially tape games that can run with 1KB of RAM (pre-SGM). :)

Tape games are usually synonymous of European games, which I usually don't like (as most are straight ports of Spectrum games). However a handful are worth the trouble, like Gaunlet and Lazy Jones. Hopeful I will have the chance to release both for the SGM, with the necessary improvements. :)

I don't think anyone would want that. They would want a re-design of the game to go on a cart so that everything stays simplistic.

Oh I know - hence why I referred to the idea as being "masochistic". (I'd like it though, but that's just because I'm fascinated by old proprietary formats)

It isn't necessarily that I prefer to port cartridge games. It is just a matter that there aren't many good tape games, especially tape games that can run with 1KB of RAM (pre-SGM). :)

Tape games are usually synonymous of European games, which I usually don't like (as most are straight ports of Spectrum games). However a handful are worth the trouble, like Gaunlet and Lazy Jones. Hopeful I will have the chance to release both for the SGM, with the necessary improvements. :)

Ah, now you shouldn't have said that, Eduardo, because now everyone's going to believe the sky's the limit in terms of MSX ports, and they're going to browse through the entire library on generation-msx.nl and try to find the best port candidates! Let the port begging commence!! :P

But seriously, that version of Gauntlet would be a sure winner on the ColecoVision. :)

Ah, now you shouldn't have said that, Eduardo, because now everyone's going to believe the sky's the limit in terms of MSX ports, and they're going to browse through the entire library on generation-msx.nl and try to find the best port candidates! Let the port begging commence!! :P

But seriously, that version of Gauntlet would be a sure winner on the ColecoVision. :)

As I said, not many good MSX tape games... :)