IGNORED

Need advice on selling a 5200 with games, all CiB...

marillion

I know next to nothing about the Atari 5200. It seems like I have a lot of common games and was wondering if I should sell everything piecemeal or bundle some games with the system itself.

This is what I have - the 5200 and the trackball, both CiB. Two joysticks, both CiB.

CiB games

Super Breakout

Soccer

Space Invaders

Football

Galaxian

Missile Command

Defender

Centipede

Pac-Man

Kangaroo

Pole Position

Dig Dug

Jungle Hunt

Berzerk

Mario Bros.

Pitfall

Gorf

Popeye

Q*bert

I also have three loose games - Ms. Pac-Man, Star Raiders and Countermeasure.

Were all the games supposed to come with the little plastic controller inserts? If so, most are missing.

Gorf has unpunched inserts, if that makes any difference. Everything has VERY nice boxes.

Any advice on prices/best way to sell would be appreciated, thanks.

Peace,

Chip

Edited by marillion

I'd sell the whole lot together. If you know everything works, I'd estimate $200 minimum bid. I figure the 5200 is worth $75, the trackball $70, and the games about $100. Yeah, my math doesn't add up, but to sell stuff effectively on ebay, you have to start the bidding lower that what you expect to get. Buy it now price of $250 seems good to me. Again, assuming everything works and is clean.

Test it first, especially the hand controllers. I sold a 5200 lot recently with two working controllers and 19 loose games for $115. $250 plus shipping is a LOT of money for a buyer to risk on a system that's notorious for breaking in some way they can't fix--namely, the controllers. Even though it's almost all CIB, that's the first throught that would go through my mind.

I've seen Gorf CIB go for up to $60 by itself. The trackball would go for $50 CIB around here. There's a very good bet that both of those work, so you might get $100 or more just from those. You could sell the trackball with Missile Command and Centipede, sell Gorf by itself, and then sell the rest as a lot and still make $200 to $300.

The only Parker game that came with overlays is Frogger, and the only Atari ones that had them are the ones with the game name in a blue stripe across the label.

Don't forget, though. Test, test, test. I waited until the last minute to run a final test of the 5200 I sold. I found out the hard way I had forgotten to adjust something in the console. Return shipping could be expensive enough that your buyer decides to open a buyer protection case and not return the item unless you fork out $20 plus to have it sent back.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, guys. If everything is that touchy, even though I've tested it all out I may just list everything individually and let them all ride. I probably wouldn't list anything for a high minimum bid or a Buy-it-Now, since I need cash immediately and can't give things "time" to sell over the week an auction would last. You generally get more interest if everything starts at 99-cents, anyway.

It looks like Popeye also has the scratch-off card, which I would imagine is difficult to find in itself. Gorf and Pitfall are in great shape. The Space Invaders even has a neat thing with it...it's a form directly from Atari, since it was a replacement cart sent to the owner when his retail purchased one was defective. :)

I'll post a few pics here. Thanks again, and take care.

Peace,

Chip

5200-consolebox_zps5e104cfc.jpg

5200-console_zpsd2ff1edc.jpg

5200-gorf_zps3820e17f.jpg

5200-pitfall_zps717bd630.jpg

5200-popeye_zps387e67d0.jpg

5200-spaceinvadersform_zpse17e20f7.jpg

5200-mariobros_zps09bd8a25.jpg

5200-berzerk_zps38fd094b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I would make sure to spend extra to include as many photos as you can in the listing

for videogame, and many other categories, eBay now allows and recomends up to 12 images per item at no additional charge.

12 per item might be overkill, but it is about time eBay permits it's users to adequately visualize an item without having to pay out the nose.

and Marillion, nice stuff you have there, good luck with the sales.

That Atari service invoice is a flashback, as a kid we had one of those in the collection from having our controllers serviced way back when.

Edited by Koa Zo

I'd sell the whole lot together. If you know everything works, I'd estimate $200 minimum bid. I figure the 5200 is worth $75, the trackball $70, and the games about $100. Yeah, my math doesn't add up, but to sell stuff effectively on ebay, you have to start the bidding lower that what you expect to get. Buy it now price of $250 seems good to me. Again, assuming everything works and is clean.

In this economy ? I am buying lots that size for $75 total with regularity. Lots never do well.

My honest advice is to piece it out individually,. It may take you longer to move it all, but it is alwasy best to seperate things as not everyone wants tripkles and quadruples of common games. you may find someone willing to pay well over market for one thing or another.