IGNORED

Show us your desktop!

On Amiga sites it is inevitable that every couple of months a thread is opened inviting members to show screengrabs of their current Workbench setup. People get to show off their new 32bit png icon sets and ridiculously high res desktop with matching window themes etc.

However, there is always some really nicely presented Workbench setups on lowly AGA machines (and sometimes even ECS) in just 16-256 colours with well chosen palette, images, window/button textures etc.

You nearly always find out about some trendy desktop util that puts a floating transparent clock/calendar here, or cartoon Mr Banana there etc. :)

Point is (I am getting there), I have yet to see an Atari equivalent. Granted there seems to be far less desktop personalising software on the ST/Ste/TT/Falcon range, but there is still quite a bit there.

Until fairly recently I did not know there was a program to allow me to display a nice 256 colour wallpaper to my Falcon Tos desktop. I wonder how many other trendy desktop/system enhancements I am not aware of...

So why not post some screenshots of your desktop? Also, why not tell us which desktop utils you use and why?

I am sure a lot of us would take some valuable tips away from this.

There should be some utils that can grab a screenshot - there are literally dozens of them on the Amiga - SGrab is one of the more popular ones.

They usually give you the option of snapping the entire desktop, or just a specific open window etc and then let you save the resulting image as jpg, bmp, png etc.

Until fairly recently I did not know there was a program to allow me to display a nice 256 colour wallpaper to my Falcon Tos desktop. I wonder how many other trendy desktop/system enhancements I am not aware of...

Just out of curiosity, what program is that? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

It's available on Didier Mequignon's website, with some other extra utilities :

http://didierm.pagesperso-orange.fr/

In dowload section

Thank you very much. Although it does now lead to other questions that you or anyone maybe could answer; what file formats are .img and .gem, so I can look for some artwork, or make it, or transfer .gif, .jpeg, etc. into .img or .gem pictures for the desktop. Thanks! I attempted a search for .img format pictures, but they kept leading to .gif or .jpeg, etc.

Edited by Gunstar

I think if you look for the PC program Irfanview, there is a slightly less friendly program called N-Convert, which handles conversions for almost all file types. There is even (believe it or not) an Atari version of N-Convert! Alternatively something like Imagecopy or Gemview on the Atari side can convert most files to .img

You want to be looking for .img files really, these were originally used in things like Hyperpaint. .gem is more a vector style (iirc) format..

Both Thing (now freeware) and Jinnee sport the ability to have 256 colour background images.

Edited by Zogging Hell