IGNORED

Microsoft exec stirs up controversy with ‘always on’ Xbox Twitter tirade

JamesD

Quoting myself in another thread...

"
I sometimes wonder if one of the hazards of becoming an executive in a wildly successful corporation is that once a thousand-dollars becomes a trivial sum of money for you, you find it difficult to understand how there can be so many people for whom that kind of money is not trivial...
"

It is similar thinking that prompted this exchange between Orth, the MS executive, and Manveer Heir, senior gameplay designer at Bioware:

"...not everyone lives in well-connected areas. Try living in Janesville, WI or Blacksburg, VA," tweeted Heir.

"Why on earth would I live there?" Orth responded.

Yes Mr. Orth, and why wouldn't I have a job as an executive in a major corporation with a six-figure salary? Maybe it's because we live in an economy that is structured in such a way that not everyone can be an executive and have a six-figure salary; in fact most people can't; the vast majority of the people who buy your products can't. I think one of the things that caused Bill Gates to be so driven to keep Microsoft in the top spot, is that he realized that in the harsh reality of capitalism, current preeminence is no guarantee of future success. History is littered with companies that were at the top only to be knocked off by some other company that found a new way to do something better. It happened to Atari; it happened to IBM; hell, it happened to the entire nation of Spain!

Maybe there's hope for a more just and equitable future yet... ...but I'm still going to remain a pessimist. Has Richard Stallman had anything to say about any of this?

• Like 1

With the several software studios closing their doors over the last year and a totally out of touch attitude from all three console manufacturers, I have to wonder if we are about to see another so called video game crash.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the last "crash" was so much a crash as it was fallout from bad decisions on the part of manufacturers. People were shifting from consoles to computers and companies were putting out crap titles expecting everything to sell. It wasn't until the NES offered something really new that people started to migrate back to consoles.

This time around we have an underpowered Wii U, a (rumored) DRM nightmare PS4, and an always on XBOX 720.

I can't help but think it's going to mean a couple year lag in sales. People don't want to buy the old console but balk at buying the new one because of "issues" and the economy.

BTW, I'm guessing at least 1/3 the households in the US wouldn't be able to meet the internet connection requirements for the new XBOX.

There are still a lot of rural communities without cable or 3G/4G and even more than can't afford it.

I use an always on 4G connection but it drops out multiple times a day.

Well I don't think it will be as bad as the first time around, when Nintendo had to release the NES as an "entertainment system" that used "game paks" because of the stigma associated with the term video games but I definitely think there is going to be some sort of paradigm shift, maybe even with a player we haven't heard of yet taking over. Although personally I find it most likely that someone like Google will really step up with Android.

Honestly, Android gaming is really coming along. Devices like the Nexus 7 are powerful and (relatively) inexpensive. The games are getting more complex and tablets support peripherals like gaming controllers quite easily. I do pretty much all of my emulation on my N7 because of this and the bluetooth controller I have for it is outstanding. We have the PS2 era GTAs running on these things now even. No question it is at least a worthy competitor to 3DS and Vita.

• Like 1

Well I don't think it will be as bad as the first time around, when Nintendo had to release the NES as an "entertainment system" that used "game paks" because of the stigma associated with the term video games but I definitely think there is going to be some sort of paradigm shift, maybe even with a player we haven't heard of yet taking over. Although personally I find it most likely that someone like Google will really step up with Android.

It wasn't that bad the first time, people just moved on to computers instead of game consoles because they were better gaming systems and could do other things. The NES was the first game console that really stepped up with something new. And Mario didn't exactly hurt sales.

Honestly, Android gaming is really coming along. Devices like the Nexus 7 are powerful and (relatively) inexpensive. The games are getting more complex and tablets support peripherals like gaming controllers quite easily. I do pretty much all of my emulation on my N7 because of this and the bluetooth controller I have for it is outstanding. We have the PS2 era GTAs running on these things now even. No question it is at least a worthy competitor to 3DS and Vita.

Well, I think gamers will start to shift back to PCs or Android devices similar to how people migrated to the C64 the last "crash".

Companies that support PCs and Android will continue to thrive while companies that focus on the state of the art consoles alone will suffer.

Holy crap. Mandatory internet connection to play a game on a console. I will never ever suport something like that. There should always be an option, especially for single player games. Why the hell are they trying to shovel this down players throats?...what is the benefit for a single player game? What a bunch of crap. I'm sure they know what's best for us, though...lol. What a steamy pile of horsepap.

• Like 2

Holy crap. Mandatory internet connection to play a game on a console. I will never ever suport something like that. There should always be an option, especially for single player games. Why the hell are they trying to shovel this down players throats?...what is the benefit for a single player game? What a bunch of crap. I'm sure they know what's best for us, though...lol. What a steamy pile of horsepap.

It's one of those brilliant corporate exec ideas of how to stop game piracy.

Console manufacturers are simply testing how much bullshit gamers will put up with. Now they've got douchebags like this Orth guy further aggravating the situation. Real smooth, gaming industry. Stay hostile towards your customers and see how far that gets you.

• Like 6

I'm not buying their console...I paid 15 bucks for Windows 8 which is a crime that it costs more than that. They want that "Durango" hooked up constantly AND charge me a GOLD fee to watch Netflix and Skydrive all year?

Major Nelson and the rest of them 40 billion dollar asses can "deal with it."

Here I thought they were starting something good with the sales lately....

They are going the Steam route but in a BAD way it seems by constantly being connected. Mandatory dumping entire game CD's to the hard drive and then storing the CD's away. Eventually they want to get everyone to go digital and eliminate used games but at what price?

I don't mind not having physical copies but REQUIRING and internet connection for any f@cking reason is just bad business for loyal customers who don't pirate.

I'll keep tabs on this but I'm ready to say goodbye. I could give a damn I wont be missing a thing.

Microsoft, Blizzard and EA the three stooges of gaming.

• Like 2

The thing about Steam...if I am offline I don't lose access to all my games. Steam should be the textbook example of how digital distribution works. They do sort of lock you into their environment but that's fine. I was never afraid of "losing all my games" because Steam went offline or whatever.

Or screw it, all DD should be done the way GOG does it. Full control! Victory!

• Like 3

BTW, I'm guessing at least 1/3 the households in the US wouldn't be able to meet the internet connection requirements for the new XBOX.

There are still a lot of rural communities without cable or 3G/4G and even more than can't afford it.

I use an always on 4G connection but it drops out multiple times a day.

I believe broadband penetration in US households is already past the 2/3's mark.

Even out of the way places like the hamlet of Wanakena NY in the middle of the Adirondacks with just a couple of dozen full-time residents recently has gotten broadband access. And there are programs with grant money available out there to bring it to other rural areas as well that weren't viable for private business to build the infrastructure.

I suspect that over 90% of the US population has access to broadband internet at reasonable prices these days (Although obviously not everyone with the option of subscribing can afford it). And hopefully those in areas like several small Adirondack communities recently were will continue to gain access in the next few years to bring that mark closer to 100% access for those that can afford to subscribe to a broadband internet provider.

I don't think our infrastructure is anywhere close to being able to support 100% digital distribution (Even though rumors persist among some that the Xbox 720 will lack a disc drive). But I think we're at the point where requiring internet access for a new console is perfectly viable (Although certainly not desirable from my point of view).

Edited by Atariboy

I suspect that over 90% of the US population has access to broadband internet at reasonable prices these days.

Many people have no idea. (I'm not being rude). Seriously. I'm originally from the south side of Chicago and I travel quite a bit in the state (I have family\friends that don't have it). I can tell you there's many MANY people. Millions and millions in fact that have no access at all because its simply not even AVAILABLE. That's not counting the millions that don't subscribe at all even if IT IS available. There's so many people not accounted for on any report you can find. Some people simply have a mobile device with internet and they are considered users. You cant even count those who have crap connections to begin with in my opinion. Its worse in rural areas of course. Its just amazing.

There's no excuse....this is an ignorant statement by an ignorant employee at Microsoft.

I don't tolerate ignorant crap like that mainly from my background. I know many companies have idiots like that and Microsoft isn't the only one but reading that and then learning that this "Durango" could be a DRM box thats hooked online all the time just crosses the line for me.

I definitely don't need it if thats what they want to do.

• Like 2

Not to argue, burt going over reports online, over 90% of US computers in households are hooked up to broadband internet connections according to 2012 statistics. And according to 2011 data, 68% of American households have broadband internet access. And that's compared to only 71% of American households having internet service of any sort that year. Only two percent of online households lack broadband in their area in 2011 compared to 6% in 2008. 1.3% want broadband but don't have the option. And .6% of American households want broadband but can't afford to subscribe to an available service.

So not only does that show that many dark areas are being addressed, if accurate, but it also shows that dialup internet is fast disappearing and is closing in on being an extremely tiny percentage of users. And I'm somewhar skeptical that people with mobile devices with the option of connecting to the internet are considered as having broadband access. And heck, at least in the middle of one of America's largest wilderness area in the Adirondack Mountains, broadband internet access is now much more readily available than cell phone coverage is. You be somewhere like Cranberry Lake and even somewhere like downtown Lake Placid where the Olympics have been held and not get a signal. Something shared I suspect with many rural areas in more remote regions.

Disparities in computer ownership seem to be behind the broadband divides in the US. The vast majority of homes with computers have broadband access and are connected to a broadband connection (So no cell work funnyness going on to make percentages look better than they are). And by the time the Xbox 720 is priced low enough for some of the customers that will lack a broadband option, broadband growth should take care of many of those individuals in more rural and economically poor regions like the central Adirondacks.

And I don't see many Xbox 720's being sold to American households without a PC.

Edited by Atariboy

I believe broadband penetration in US households is already past the 2/3's mark.

*Households* does not = 2/3 of US, it equals cities with thousands of people.

I know plenty of rural communities that don't have cable TV or broadband... but then I grew up in and spend time in rural America and I actually see it.

My own cousin was still using dialup last time I spoke with her.

Cable TV and broadband only came to my home town a couple years ago and 3G/4G last year.

Hell, I know people that can't even get cell phone service within miles of where they live.

My own brother has to drive to the corner of his farm to get reception.

For that matter, my 4G internet only works with my router placed just so to hit the one 4G tower in range and I can't use it at all in a lot of places I visit.

Over 90% of the of the US probably does have access to broadband... if they use satellite access but who can afford to spend enough for a decent speed.

Seriously, statistics are crap.

BTW, I just looked at a couple cell phone provider's 4G coverage maps to check my area and I call tell you they are full of crap!

• Like 1