IGNORED

APF Tv Fun

I picked this up at a local flea market today for 12.00.

post-34675-136527607682_thumb.jpg

post-34675-136527610291_thumb.jpg

post-34675-136527612123_thumb.jpg

post-34675-136527614395_thumb.jpg

I dont really know much about it. But i figured for 12 bucks its a cheap edition to my collection. Were there different models of this pong console? Was this only available in certain countries?

Edited by Manoau2002

I haven't seen that particular console, but there were about 1.5 zillion different TV tennis consoles, that were mostly the same. There were a few different chip sets that allowed many, many (many, many) manufacturers to create different looking consoles with unique and/or copy cat physical attributes. For example, one might have a wired controller you could keep in your lap where another (like yours) had the controls built into the console. They are all basic variations on pong. Great fun for two people, for awhile anyway. Put it away 'til next year, and have great fun again.

I have a couple of those consoles, and they are different. One has external controls that can be plugged into the back as well as the controls on the console. Apparently, there was also a light gun.

More info:

http://pongmuseum.com/collection/apf-TVfun-401.php

Thanks for the link it looks like a lot of great information. Interesting that one company made so many different models.

Hey, what are the specs on the AC adaptor for that thing? I have one, with no wall wart, so I haven't tried it out. I'm sure I can find something compatible if I just know what I need. Is it printed on the adaptor somewhere?

I checked the manual and it doesnt say anything specific. They wanted you to order one from them.

Thanks for the link it looks like a lot of great information. Interesting that one company made so many different models.

You're welcome.

Hey, what are the specs on the AC adaptor for that thing? I have one, with no wall wart, so I haven't tried it out. I'm sure I can find something compatible if I just know what I need. Is it printed on the adaptor somewhere?

If I hadn't just packed up my consoles for a move, I would have checked. Looks like Manoau found the info, though.

I'm surprised to see that Pong consoles are still to be found "in the wild"; I have seen only one in the past decade. On the other hand, $12... :-o

I have a Venture Electronics model and a Radio Shack TV Scoreboard. Both include the power adaptors and the latter has its original box. I paid $1 each (at different rumage sales) in the mid-1990s.

I'm surprised to see that Pong consoles are still to be found "in the wild"; I have seen only one in the past decade. On the other hand, $12... :-o

I have a Venture Electronics model and a Radio Shack TV Scoreboard. Both include the power adaptors and the latter has its original box. I paid $1 each (at different rumage sales) in the mid-1990s.

Yeah i remember buying one in the 1990's for a dollar at a garage sale. I also remember buying a colecovision with 20 games for 10.00. That was before there was much of a collectors market.

I have one exactly like yours. Only reason I bought it was because my grandparents had the same thing in the '70s. It was my first introduction to video/tv games of any sort. They had the one with the external controllers though. Plus, I wanted to have at least one "pong" game. They're nice historical curiosities, and pretty much anyone over the age of about 40 remembers them. Nice that yours has a box, I just have a loose console.

I also have an APF TV Fun, exactly like this one. My parents owned it, and now I have it. Just your typical Pong clone. Interesting conversation piece, though.

Here's a bit of information about APF Electronics, for those interested. In addition to Pong clones and calculators, they also produced a cartridge-based console/computer called the APF Imagination Machine and Imagination Machine II.

• Like 1

I've got a loose APF TV Fun. I got it around 10 years ago for $10. It was one of my first Pong consoles (after my/my wife's Coleco Telstar Alpha), and I think it's a rather nice one...it's very "deluxe" compared to many other Pongs, which often exude an aura of cheapness, apart from the Atari and Odyssey games.

I started a thread about this a few years ago:

http://atariage.com/...un#entry2088269

APF made a number of dedicated consoles in the seventies, culminating with with APF MP1000, which was a cartridge based console.

The earliest seems to have been the 401, which you and I both have. This was one of the earliest "Pong on a chip" clones to come out in competition to Atari's Pong.

Later versions came with external controllers and one even had a light gun.

Yours looks pretty much the same as mine, though perhaps in a tad bit better condition. I've always felt that the APF TV Fun is a far better looking pong clone than a lot of the units (or even Atari's Pong itself). I agree with Bass Guitari on that account.

Apparently they DID sell an adapter for the thing they called a "battery eliminator". My boxed unit came with a card that you could send in for one. See below for the scan I did of the manual and card.

http://atariage.com/...ttach_id=165679

A little research shows that the 401 needs a +9vdc center positive adapter (coaxial plug). I'm not sure a regular AC adapter would work. You have to be sure your polarity is right. I've always have just used batteries.

Edited by Lendorien