IGNORED

My kids finally enjoy intellivision

mr_intv

I had to download intellivision lives onto their Xbox 360 for them to try it, not too sure why they don't like the original hardware, but none the less they played Sharp Shot, Battle Tanks, and Bi-Planes to death. They also seemed to enjoy watching me play Shark! Shark! It's baby steps I know but hopefully I can get them on the original hardware and I can have me some competition in Sea Battle. ;)

• Like 4

It's baby steps I know but hopefully I can get them on the original hardware and I can have me some competition in Sea Battle. ;)
just remember that kids have faster reflexes so the little Intv's may eventually take down mr. Intv. :D Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 2

Hey, great to hear this beautiful story. I had a similar experience recently with my two nieces. I was participating in the Carol vs the World competition while they observed. They eventually wanted to give it a try to Carol vs Ghost and they got hooked.

They ended up participating in the competition, my elder niece (12) got a pretty decent score and achieved a Ranger elf status. The youngest one (7) also participated. They were so much into the Intellivision that they were making drawings and eventually one of them wrote a fan letter to DZ-Jay.

Thanks for the advice about Sharp Shot. I will make them try out this fantastic game out. Cheers!

• Like 2

I had to download intellivision lives onto their Xbox 360 for them to try it, not too sure why they don't like the original hardware...

Controllers maybe? :lol:

'Course for us that are used to them, everything else feels queer playing Intellivision games without them. ;)

Snafu, Frog Bog, MLB, Skiing, Astrosmash, Space Armada, Triple Action, Night Stalker, Armor Battle, and AD&D were among my favorites as a kid.....probably because these where the easier ones (especially Snafu and Frog Bog). I never had any of the later releases. I think it's about time to get my nephews into it. My sister-in-law recently found her old Atari (yeah, my brother married Atari folk!), but they still need an adapter for the TV. I have tons, but haven't been over there in a few weeks. They (nephews) are totally grooving on the Wii U, so I think they will lose interest in the Intellivision pretty quickly, but who knows. Maybe they need Uncle Jay to show them how fun it is ;-)

• Like 3

I think the reluctance by young kids to use the original hardware is partly because it's so different from anything they've been exposed to before. I don't see the same reluctance in my niece and nephew, but that's probably because they've grown up around my collection and are used to playing with old weird systems that none of their friends have ever heard of (that's probably one of the things they like about it, actually). Case in point: I recently set up a Coleco Adam computer, but because I don't yet have any games for it, I had to use the built-in "electronic typewriter" to confirm that the system and printer were working ... and for some reason, both of the kids found it fascinating.

The Intellivision games that they seem to like the best are: Snafu (especially the "bite games" variations), Shark! Shark!, Frog Bog, and when they were younger, Sharp Shot (especially the "maze shoot" game). Space shooting games don't seem to do much for either of them, so unfortunately that takes a lot of titles off the table. They also like to watch me play some of the games that are still too hard for them, like BurgerTime/Diner and Thunder Castle.

• Like 1

One of my daughters loves to play some of the Intellivision games. My other two simply like to watch it, I think they find the games "cute". My daughter, who has been a gamer since 5yo, was home sick with me and we played Intellvision Lives! on my X360. She fell in love with Thin Ice immediately, as well as Shark Shark. That day she was the one who coined the term "Blockyvision", which is now the household name they all use. Now that I have the console and games, she has really taken to a few more such as Tron:DD. And it goes without saying, she can totally kick my ass in a lot of games!

The main reason I started collecting Inty stuff was, when I had playing AD&D:CM again on my bucket list (and to a lesser degree Bump 'N Jump and a few others). But knowing how much my kid enjoyed some of the games, got me started on collecting on a much wider scope.

My 9 yr old also gets a kick out of Christmas Carol. He loves the snowman. His only complaint was why he couldn't play it on Xbox lol

As long as you don't have to explain to him why a PS3 disc will not work in an X360. Which is exactly what I have had to explain to a friend that is 40yo, more than once! "But, but, the disc fits in just fine?!?!?..."

post-34831-0-39141100-1365446608_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My 9 yr old also gets a kick out of Christmas Carol. He loves the snowman. His only complaint was why he couldn't play it on Xbox lol

My nieces had exactly the same comments. They also told me that at least the game should be made available on the iPad (hint DZ :)

BTW the girls kept on mentioning that the snowman "talked" and I could not understand what they were trying to say. "It is not an Intellivoice game!" I thought to myself.

What happened is that the repetitive sound that accompanies the arrival of the snowman made them think that the snowman was saying "Ik kom, ik kom..." (which means "Here I come..." in Dutch).

Children.

• Like 2

Well... so far we have compiled a list of games that are kids-friendly for the Blockyvision.

In no particular order these games are:

Sharp Shot, Triple Action, Shark Shark, Carol vs Ghost, Frog Bog, Frogger, Pac Man, Snafu and Thin Ice.

Any more?

I think that we should add to this list only games that we have already been tried and tested with our little subjects.

I agree with Jaybird, games like Burger Time, Diner or Thunder Castle although nice on paper might be a tad bit difficult for them. They might enjoy watching but not yet playing.

Cheers and thanks for all your contributions. This is a very nice thread. :thumbsup:

Edited by Oscar G.

Well... so far we have compiled a list of games that are kids-friendly for the Blockyvision.

In no particular order these games are:

Sharp Shot, Triple Action, Shark Shark, Carol vs Ghost, Frog Bog, Frogger, Pac Man, Snafu and Thin Ice.

Any more?

Try Lock'n Chase: similar to PacMan of course, yet different ;)

Night Stalker and Popeye might also be well received, I guess?

cheers!

• Like 1

Reading all these nice stories after what I read and laughed yesterday, I can't resist posting it.

Well let me start by saying that I was truly impressed by the content of the library DVD. My kids and I spend 3 hours going through it. They loved to see and read about all the games that dad has put away and won't let them play..:)

Sorry Cmart, but I can't believe you don't have some spares for the kids? ;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My kids were excited to see a Kool-Aid game in my collection, but didn't care for the game play much. So far it's pretty much just Triple Action, Frog Bog and Sharp Shot that interests them. Things were wayyyy different when I was their age playing intellivision.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...