IGNORED

My kids finally enjoy intellivision

mr_intv

My kids also just realized that I have a Scooby Doo game. They told me its a lot if fun, I'm not sure why I didn't introduce this sooner to them.

MMM... I never imagined Scooby Doo will make a good game for Kids. I tried it out for the first time recently and did not like it.

Maybe I should give it another go and try to see it from the kids perspective. Of course, letting our little subjects try is the best test :)

Cheers and thanks for sharing!

My kids were excited to see a Kool-Aid game in my collection, but didn't care for the game play much. So far it's pretty much just Triple Action, Frog Bog and Sharp Shot that interests them. Things were wayyyy different when I was their age playing intellivision.

I can understand they will not like Kool Aid. It is such a tough game with awkward playing mechanics. It is also enfuriating. Specially when one of the character freezes and then they get separated.

Thanks for recommending the other titles (Triple Action, Frog Bog and Sharp Shot)...

... by the way, did you ever try Boxing with your kids? How did it go?

Several of my kids have taken a liking to Astrosmash. In fact, my at-the-time three-year-old easily picked up the process of starting up the game, turning on autofire, and then using hyperspace to move the ship. He don't need no stinking disc. :P

My oldest son enjoys Spina the Bee and DK Arcade. I haven't rolled out too many of the games yet, but I'm betting more will be popular given the chance. The biggest challenge is to get them to accept defeat, i.e. that there's usually not a 'continue' option. You need to restart from the very beginning!

• Like 1

Same with my nieces. Their overall favourite game is Xmas Carol vs Ghost. Indeed, the Snowman tune makes them scream.

By the way, they think that the snowman is actually talking. "Ik kom, ik kom, ik kom" which in Dutch means "Here I come" :)

What about that... speech without the Intellivoice!... Children...

• Like 2

I'm really happy that children enjoy so much Christmas Carol--I wrote it specifically for the 10-year-old me that always wanted to make games, so that's no surprise.

I know that some people think it is very hard, and I am sorry for that. But, underneath it is mainly a children's game--from the cute instruction manual (which Joe and I worked hard to give a children's storybook quality), to the funny and whimsical animated cut-scenes--it was all designed by that 10-year-old me. :)

As for the Snowman, my vision always had an "evil" snowman wobbling about trying to kill the elf, and in my mind I pictured him as a cartoon--like one of those Calvin & Hobbes psychotic snowmen sculptures--with arms waving up and down. I am very happy that what came out was very close to how I imagined it.

The walking sound effect was coded by Joe Z., and I think it is indeed fantastic. I don't recall who suggested the timpani sound effect, but I was floored the first time I heard the sound with the game--it just fits!

The "howl" (or more like a screech) was also designed and coded by Joe. I asked for something that would evoke a scream, like a high-pitch sound ramping up. But it doesn't matter because he was really into the spirit of the game, and he designed the effects to match the characters rather well--better than I was thinking, and definitely better than anything I could have done.

Joe says he based the howl on the sharp string screech from the movie Psycho. Personally, I never saw that, but I was more than pleased because it fits perfectly as a scary, screechy sound for an evil monster. It is unique and iconic. :)

dZ.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...