IGNORED

Ultimate 1MB installation questions ..

sm3

Thank you guys hope it helps...

atari8warez or candle, one last question to finish the installation. Since the Ultimate 1 MB I purchased didn't come with an accessory kit, could you give me the dimensions of the plastic spacer and the bolt used for the XE line please? I'll have to go find those locally,

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Were there any special mods needed for a 600XL install? Just fitted an Ultimate in that model and it boots maybe one out of 20 times... usually just a red screen instead. I've tested known-working ribbon cables, re-wired the hook-ups, continuity tested everything, checked for shorts on adjacent pins, etc... even tried a different U1MB in there. Most of the time the machine's stone dead when powered on. However, if I take out the U1MB and put the original ROMs and MMU back in, all's well. I replaced the OS and MMU sockets during the build but I can't see any issues with them, especially since the machine boots 100 per cent of the time with a stock configuration.

EDIT: Just booted up again after about thirty power-cycles. Couldn't be anything to do with the 41464 RAMs in the original 64K upgrade, could it? Note machine has a VBXE as well. Once up and running, it's completely stable... it's getting it to boot which is the issue.

Edited by flashjazzcat

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have a schematic of the XEGS MMU-ROM area? I think pin 27 of the ROM socket goes somewhere on the MMU. I want to wire my 1200XL that way to use the U1MB BASIC and Missile Command slots. I need this because I have only one socket available, as I have an Internal MyIDE (with ROM removed) in the other socket.

Also, any suggestions on mounting location for U1MB in 1200XL?

TIA

-Kyle

OK, then mine are V1 and I have to cut the traces :-(

One more questions I could not find an answer:

The flat wires that plug into the MMU socket/OS ROM socket have a black/red outer line.

In in which direction do they have to be plugged in?

I found pictures for XE machines but mine is an XL, so ...

The flat wires that plug into the MMU socket/OS ROM socket have a black/red outer line.

This is V2, Peter, but should give you an idea of the cable orientation nevertheless:

post-21964-0-86868200-1382301512_thumb.jpg

OK, then mine are V1 and I have to cut the traces :-(

One more questions I could not find an answer:

Actually JAC you don't need to cut traces, I have an install guide (linked to a few messages back in this thread) which explains how to put resistors inline with the ribbon cable.

Now since this is a U1MB installations questions thread and I just recently moved my U1MB to an 800XL, I'd like to share my experiences with this upgrade.

First a little history; When I bought my U1MB I wanted to install it into my 800XL but my attempt failed and the U1MB never been stable on that machine. I had screen corruption and random lockups, so at the end I gave up and instead installed the upgrade to my 130XE, the installation went smoothly and I even produced an installation guide in the hopes that it may help some fellow Atarian.

Lately I revisited that 800XL to bring +5V to it's PBI port (for use with the IDE Plus 2). After I've done the 5v upgrade, I decided to give U1MB installation another shot but this time instead of using connections points shown on the Candle's documentation (which are closer to the PBI port), I chose other available holes/vias closer to the CPU remembering Lotharek's suggestion. What do you know, the same 800XL that gave me so much headache worked flawlessly with U1MB this time around. So it looks like not all 800XLs are exactly alike. Mine was stock with only a simple S-Video mod. I couldn't really understand why it worked fine when I chose connection points closer to the CPU, it may just be the impedance of the chosen path but I can not tell for sure cause I don't know the specs for U1MB. I am writing this to let anyone know that if the upgrade does not work as expected you should try using different connection points closer to the CPU especially for R/W and PHI2 signals.

I will now make a 800XL version of my installation guide and make it available to public at my website.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...