IGNORED

Ultimate 1MB installation questions ..

sm3

Thanks guys, that shrink tube solution looks very clean.

... on my way to becoming an "expert" :-) Awesome guide Ray! Will try for an 800 XL now... (and now, I don't remember exactly why I ordered 3 :-)

post-17404-0-16241500-1388768337_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

There are also other ares of improvement. I just killed 2 traces by drilling the hole to fix the board in the wrong place :(. So total number of traces saved vs. killed is currently 6:2...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is how a good day should end. Plus the vias where I soldered the 4 wires to the 800 XL Revision C board like Ray suggested.

attachicon.gifUltimate 1MB - 800 XL.jpg attachicon.gifUltimate 1MB - 800 XL - Rev. C.jpg

Great work Peter, I myself was not able to get my 800XL to work with it no matter how hard I tried (unstable), so I first re-installed it on my 130XE (and wrote that guide) then lately I moved it to my 600XL successfully. I wasn't able to scream YEAHHHH though because now my SIO2PC which works with every model of Atari 8 bit I have is freezing the keyboard on that 600XL. One more mystery to solve (if I can) before I can commit that 600XL to my daily torture :)

Edited by atari8warez

I'm going to install my Rev1 Ult 1MB in an 800XL and I think I've got this pretty clear now. Let me run this by some of you who have already done the mod. And thanks for the good pics -- it's really helpful!

First, the differences that I see between Rev1 and Rev2 (Lotharek)

1. Cable adapters are now included to make the cable connections for the OS and MMU.

2. Resistors are now on the board (so no cable splicing or trace-cuts). I have one of Dropcheck's adapters.

3. Can't see from Lotharek's pictures -- is a proper 4-wire female header connector w/wires now included in Rev 2? According to the "in the box" description, no connector is now provided. (?)

Second, to install my Rev 1 (with resistor adapter) I just need to follow JAC!'s photo of the 800XL and attach a 4-wire header to the signal connection points from the P2 connector on the mod pcb?

I'm not big on drilling holes in mobo's so I'll see if I can find a good alternate method of secure attachment.

-Larry

• 4 years later...

Here's the link to my installation guide. It's for the Candle version of the board, so just ignore the part where it explains how to install inline resistors to the ribbon cable, you can still use the same vias on the motherboard for those 4 wires as that part did not change. Good luck....

Does anyone have an updated installation guide for the Ultimate 1MB? I'm especially interested in schematics and photos of the four soldered wires to alternative spots on the 800XL motherboard.

Installation instructions on Lotharek's site are simplistic at best, and provide only modest help. Web site said five minute install, which is truly nonsense. No mention of needing $50 in specialized soldering gear to complete the install, as I know no person who has enough hands to solder a wire to the pin of an IC. I'm fortunate I have a spare 6502, because I'm confident I've fried the first one.

Does anyone have an updated installation guide for the Ultimate 1MB? I'm especially interested in schematics and photos of the four soldered wires to alternative spots on the 800XL motherboard.

I got *A LOT* of help and advice about my U1MB installation on the Facebook "Atari 8Bit Computers" page. I wouldn't have been able to be so successful without them. If you join that page, I'm sure that you will be able to pretty easily find my post from about a month ago.

For what it's worth, here are pictures of my own soldered board and the placement of the wires. Full disclosure - my soldering skills are amateurish at best so my wonderful wife did the actual soldering work while I acted largely as a "third hand". :)

post-1863-0-64657500-1535232742_thumb.png

post-1863-0-41736700-1535232767_thumb.png

post-1863-0-94532000-1535232798_thumb.png

Edited by SS
  • Thanks 1

I got *A LOT* of help and advice about my U1MB installation on the Facebook "Atari 8Bit Computers" page. I wouldn't have been able to be so successful without them. If you join that page, I'm sure that you will be able to pretty easily find my post from about a month ago.

For what it's worth, here are pictures of my own soldered board and the placement of the wires. Full disclosure- my soldering skills are amateurish at best so my wonderful wife did the actual soldering work while I acted largely as a "third hand". :)

I very much appreciate the lead and the photos. I'm incredibly frustrated.

SUCCESS! Just installed my U1MB in my 800xl first try. I wanted to double check the soldering points and appreciate everyone's input. I opted to go with Lotharek's instruction chart because I'd rather put heat to just a cpu if given the choice over a delicate motherboard. If you go this route and compare to pictures, make sure you don't go by COLOR (your wires may be black white yellow red) but by position as shown in Lotharek's chart.

post-46654-0-27665100-1535741412_thumb.jpg

• Thanks 1